The strength of Great Houses compared to their bannermen.

BaseBornBastard

Yeah, sorry I phrased it wrong. I didn't want to imply that they were the Baratheons Boltons, I just wanted to say that the Conningtons (at least to me) seemed to be the most powerful Stormland house after the Baratheons (before Roberts Rebellion of course)

Damon Sand did say that Jon Connington was Lord of Griffin's Roost back when it was worth having, so we can confirm that at one point it was, uh, worth having?

The Tully's were a very minor house prior to the rebellion. Then in some manner (which will be revealed in the World Book) they helped Aegon in his conquest and so where raised to Lords of the Riverlands. I doubt that they have any relation to any of the previous River Kings except very distantly a through the female line.

The Tullys weren't minor, they just never ruled as kings.

If we take Dragons out of the equation, Riverrun is one of the most defensible places in the Seven Kingdoms. Even it's relatively small size is an advantage. When Riverrun opens its sluice- gates, it's essentially an island. As such, it can be held by a fairly small garrison, which means it's easy to provision. The Blackfish tells Jaime that he can hold Riverrun for at least two years against the Lannister/Frey siege - without re supply.

The Tully's held rich lands, and had a strong castle. I wouldn't call them minor.

The Tullys weren't minor, they just never ruled as kings.

If we take Dragons out of the equation, Riverrun is one of the most defensible places in the Seven Kingdoms. Even it's relatively small size is an advantage. When Riverrun opens its sluice- gates, it's essentially an island. As such, it can be held by a fairly small garrison, which means it's easy to provision. The Blackfish tells Jaime that he can hold Riverrun for at least two years against the Lannister/Frey siege - without re supply.

The Tully's held rich lands, and had a strong castle. I wouldn't call them minor.

Its not like they were minor, but their rise to power was not as natural as the other regions. Place like the Westerlands and the North have evolved, and while it perhaps declined and rose at different times, bith respective regions were able to cement their capitals in different ways. The Starks established Winterfell as a capital in spirit of the culture of the North, while the Lannisters managed to center the economy at of the Westerlands at Casterly rock. The history is such that even if these places do get burned they are still likely to remain the heart of the "Kingdoms". Hell, even Highgarden changing hands did not did not diminish its power, but it has become one of the more divisive regions when a civil war comes around. But if we take the Riverlands, many of the powerful lords sworn to the Tully's have had no compunctions with siding with invading armies or rebels. Pre-Robert, the power of the Targ kings in the Riverlands was extensive, with most of the Houses from the south firmly in the pocket of the King rather than their Tully overlord. Furthermore, the Frey's have been involved in most Blackfyre rebllions against House Tully, which in a way implies that the northern Riverlands have never properly been brought to heel.

• 2 years later...

Archived