Quaithe = Sphinx ?

Mrs.Grumpy

*Crackpot*

Hi everyone. ^_^

I start to think that Quaithe is the sphinx that Aemon talked about. He said that, the sphinx is the riddle not the riddler. I think that way because Quathie is talk in the riddles, just like sphinxes and I'm sorry but this's only connection that I see between Quathie and a sphinx.

Aemon is a Targaryen so it makes sense when he saw someone in his dream who mess with a Targaryen i.e Dany. :whip:

Also Tyrion said that ...dragons riddling with sphinxes and Most of the stories you hear about dragons are fodder for fools.

But I don't know what that suppose to mean.

I am still puzzled over Qaithe.

I reread the Mysha passages regarding Dany. The people keep shouting all the names they know for the term

"mother."

Myhsa

Maela

Aelalla

QATHEI

That is too close - mean something? no idea. I don't think we have ghosts in this epic. I don't think we have time travel either. But .... if Qathei/Qaithe is a "mother" figure, then who is she?

she seems to be looking out for Dany in an admonitionary way. a motherly way. Surely she's not Dany's mother, she's too young and that's just absurd. She's not Dany from the future. So who is she? and why is she helping her? and how does she get around so easily?

I still support the idea that Sphinx = Oberyns daugther Sarella sand in disguise.

I do like your thoughts about Quaithe... but really... we don't know enough about her to make any real theories I think.

I always kind of felt that Danny was going mad... and most of what we see of Quaithe is just a figment of her imagination :dunno:

Or maybe I'm just half mad for thinking this? :drunk:

I still support the idea that Sphinx = Oberyns daugther Sarella sand in disguise.

I do like your thoughts about Quaithe... but really... we don't know enough about her to make any real theories I think.

I always kind of felt that Danny was going mad... and most of what we see of Quaithe is just a figment of her imagination :dunno:

But how could Maester Aemon know about Sarella?

how did she talk to Jorah?

I took Maester Aemons words about the spinx for the "three heads has the dragen"-prophecy.

Isn't the sphinx composed out of three different animals?

IIRC it's wings from a dragon (obviously Targaryen), head from a lion (Lannister) and the tail of a serpent? Who is the serpent?

A sand snake?

I'm pretty sure that Sarella = Alleras but I think her nickname is a red herring.

Quaithe probably has glass candles. So she can show up everywhere she wants.

A sand snake?

:eek:

But how could Maester Aemon know about Sarella?

When did Maester Aemon talk to the Sphynx is the real question?

He's been on the wall for a good part of a century and the Sphynx is not that old... >.>

I always thought the Sphynx he referred to was different... but maybe connected through prophesy.

how did she talk to Jorah?

I said imagining her MOST of the time.. not all of the time >.>

Some of those times she sees Quaithe totally alone in a place its illogical for Quaithe to be.

• 3 months later...

Maester Aemon spoke the line of 'the sphinx is the riddle not the riddler' in relation to the PtwP prophecy. I always thought sphinx meant skinchanger- as both are amalgams of human and other animals.

Maester Aemon spoke the line of 'the sphinx is the riddle not the riddler' in relation to the PtwP prophecy. I always thought sphinx meant skinchanger- as both are amalgams of human and other animals.

Oooh, hi Artemis. :wub: I can't figure out the pm RN but can you participate in these threads if you see this:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/78939-aryas-destiny-2/

Oooh, hi Artemis. :wub: I can't figure out the pm RN but can you participate in these threads if you see this:

http://asoiaf.wester...hip-with-death/

http://asoiaf.wester...tif-in-braavos/

http://asoiaf.wester...ryas-destiny-2/

Hey bb! Of course! I'll be sure to check them out. :cheers:

Also, for those who think the sphinx Maester Aemon is alluding to is Alleras/Sarella, how would Maester Aemon even know about Sarella Sand being at the Citadel, let alone Sarella Sand herself? Plus, what does she have to do w/in the context of what Maester Aemon was speaking about? Unless of course she has something to do w/ dragons and the PtwP...

Also, for those who think the sphinx Maester Aemon is alluding to is Alleras/Sarella, how would Maester Aemon even know about Sarella Sand being at the Citadel, let alone Sarella Sand herself? ..

The usual answer is that Marwyn was using his lit black candle to read Maester Aemon's mind (we know he used it at least to find out that Sam was coming to the Citadel), and that some garbled information was unintentionally transferred back to Aemon in the process.

The usual answer is that Marwyn was using his lit black candle to read Maester Aemon's mind (we know he used it at least to find out that Sam was coming to the Citadel), and that some garbled information was unintentionally transferred back to Aemon in the process.

But I'm not seeing how Alleras the Sphinx fits into the overall scheme of things in relation to the PtwP.

I'm going to quote the ever-astute Tze on this:

"Valyrian sphinxes are basically animals and humans combined into one being. If you think about it, that's exactly what a skinchanger is: a human being, part of whom has become either one other animal or many animals. What's the riddle? Aemon spoke of this "riddle/riddler" phrase in conjunction with the AA/PTWP prophecy, along with the whole "dragon must have three heads" issue. Perhaps that's the riddle, and the sphinx is the answer? Dragons can only have a single rider, so a single dragon can't actually have three "heads". But the example of a sphinx tells us how a single dragon can have three heads: not by the existence of three individual dragons, but via the power of a human being who can literally "be" multiple animals---a skinchanger. That's how a dragon can have three heads---by those heads not all being "dragon" heads, but the "heads" coming from other creatures. And the power to be both human and multiple animals (like the sphinx), to be a dragon and have multiple "heads" in one creature, is a power we've only seen in skinchangers: a creature that can have three "heads", three minds in one, and like the sphinx, is necessarily part human and part animal(s)."

It's something to think about!

woah... thats awesome. From now on im going to think that too

Archived