Grand Tyrell Conspiracy Theory

At this point I believe that the Tyrell plot consists of finding something to bring Cersei down. Taena’s mission is to infiltrate Cersei’s confidence, find some high crime that they can expose and if nothing else, entrap Cersei. She might even be specifically be looking for proof of the incest between Jamie & Cersei.

I think this is a flaw in the plot, if evidence is found about the incest, Tommen would be the king no more, and margaery queen's title would be threatened. Besides that it is a pretty neat conclusion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The one thing that convinced me that Taena was not in Cersei's corner was when she made an excuse not to bring he rson to King's Landing; that immediately told me that she didn't trust Cersei, her claims of wanting to improve her family's position were lies.

She also conveniently knew that Cersei's handmaid was a Tyrell spy. In my opinion she tried to get close to Cersei as soon as she landed in King's Landing, from the moment she testified that she saw Tyrion pour something in Joffrey's wine.

• 1 month later...

Just finished my second readthrough of a Feast for Crows, and I definitely agree with elements of your theory. It seems to me, though, that the instigator of the conspiracy to bring down Cersei was, in fact, Pycelle. Once she stopped heeding his advice, he figured he had to bring her down, so he started meeting with the Tyrells to hatch the frame-up. Remember, it was Pycelle who brought the critical shred of "evidence" against Margaery, and I think the ol' Grand Maester would be more willing to gamble with Margaery's life than would be her family.

Folks often underestimate Pycelle--but that's his game. He plays the doddering, feeble old man, and then manipulates things behind the scenes, nearly as well as Varys and Littlefinger.

This theory is great, but I don't believe it.

The High Sparrow situation has been building up ever since AGoT when the Mountain attacked the Riverlands. The smallfolk were screwed by their lords and king(s), and lacking the concept of democracy they turned to the faith to help the down & low. This, in the fourth book of strife and suffering resulted in a spiritual leader who is truly fanatical, righteous and shrewd enough to screw the great lords right back. Some believe the new High Septon is Varys and/or (like in this theory) some puppet for the Tyrels.

I think there is evidence enough that this High Septon has no motivation for his actions if he seeks to gain favour or power from the nobility of Westeros, be it Queen Danearys or Queen of Thorns. His ascetic way of life and history would make it impossible to do anything out-of-character, otherwise he would get devoured by his own followers. Therefore it makes no sense that he acts on behalf of anybody but Faith himself.

By the way, I love the scene when Cersei first comes to visit him. She is firsts told that she can't take her kingsguard along, because swords are not allowed in the Sept of Baelor (suddenly), and later inside she sees a flock of hedge knights with their swords in a pile infront of the Warrior. That would definetly have triggered my alarm-clock, but Cersei just notices and finds nothing to be out of place. :D

I found a thread early on where they discuss the possibility of the High Septon being Howland Reed and three female warriors from Bear Island. I found that intriguing, but . . . one can never be certain when its ASOIAF and Martin pulling the strings. :dunno:

• 4 weeks later...

(A) I believe that Margary is "broken." As Cersei remarks, high born girls will have this happen to them while being completely innocent, because of horseback riding.

This is a really large part of why equestrian sports were so popular among young upper class women, right into the first part of the 20th century. If you were known to be an avid rider, you had a perfect excuse for not being intact.

• 1 month later...

All the evidence is well and good, but I do think the motive is too weak for such an operation. If the Mercy chapter tells the truth, then Cersei is still in charge. And if so, the only think the roses accomplished was to weaken the Regent's authority. Seems like too much effort for a too small goal.

All the evidence is well and good, but I do think the motive is too weak for such an operation. If the Mercy chapter tells the truth, then Cersei is still in charge. And if so, the only think the roses accomplished was to weaken the Regent's authority. Seems like too much effort for a too small goal.

The Mercy chapter was originally going to be in ADwD and we aren't sure of when exactly it is set…Essos chapters are often not in chronological order with the Westeros chapters. Is it possible that the people who mention the queen left Westeros before Cersei lost power?

It could be another queen, too…they don't mention Cersei by name. Maybe Myrcella wants Tyrion's head for killing her big brother and grandpa.

I wouldn't put anything past the Tyrells. They're survivors. And I like them.

Hmm... I'm not sure I'll call the Tyrells survivors. That label might better apply to the eternally enduring Starks or the "unbent, unbowed, unbroken," Martells headed by the ultra cautious Doran.

The Tyrells have intermittently allied themselves with the Mad King, Renly Baratheon, and now the Lannisters through Joffrey and Tommen. They are straight up playing for power and prestiege. The fact they are doing well doesn't make them "survivors" since ultimately they are taking on risks that could cost them dearly should the wrong pretender prevail. For example, take the (actually unlikely) scenario that Danaerys comes into King's Landing with a massive army and takes back the Iron Throne with 'fire and blood.'

The Tyrells won't exactly be able to sweep their collaboration under the rug, and it will be their men dying. Danaerys herself won't have much reason to let them stay as Wardens of the Reach.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I reckon there was a Tyrell conspiracy to get Ser Kevan in over Cersei following Tywins death, they have achieved this by the Ser Kevan death epilogue and we can see Mace is already trying to boost the prestige that comes with the Office of the Hand but the High Sparrows own agenda/s has knocked them awry somewhat

The High Sparrow wants to undermine the institution of the crown/Iron Throne so that the Sept of Baelor is more powerful. This isn't uncommon, the institutions with social influence often compete against each other

This would involve undermining Marg as much as Cersei, as we can see from the hasty Tyrell abandoning the siege of Storms End and trying to get troops to the city etc etc

As for Lora's, I can see that after Renly's death he would do something idiotic and would think himself invincible etc , but he has continuing interests and I do think there's more to the story, just the fact he hasn't showed up, there is no radical change in his condition and there are a narrow range of sources reporting

Tyrells will be in a bit of bother in a WoW, despite the capabilities of QoT, Tarly and Marg/Loras. Pretty much because once Frankengregor is unleashed there will be a crazy result which affects Tommens standing and by extension their own

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived