Extended Season 3 Trailer

Westeros

I think you would only notice it if you were looking for it, which non-readers wouldn't be doing. Its also only there for a split second, easy to miss.

Probably, yes. But you do not know the crazy fans, you would not know what they are doing - like taking screenshots of scenes only shown for split seconds and such. ;)

<snip>

:o Why did they include this? A big spoiler for the non-readers.

<snip>

It goes by sooo quickly -- if you don't know to look for it, you will never notice it. I don't think non-readers will see it (unless they were already spoiled, that is).

Probably, yes. But you do not know the crazy fans, you would not know what they are doing - like taking screenshots of scenes only shown for split seconds and such. ;)

Ahem... I guess the proverbial cat is out of the bag now -- I'm a crazy asoiaf fan, and proud of it ;-).

Ugh, please no. That would be completely and utterly awful. And putting the PW in E8 would certainly mean nothing for Tyrion to do in S4.

I don't see any way that the PW would be in season 3, unless the writers are desperate for way to end the season. It would be the season of weddings.

1. I'm very confused by this thinking. Just because Tyrion doesn't make an appearance in book 4, doesn't mean he's not doing anything. GRRM's notes at the beginning of these novels specifically state the books overlap chronologically. There's plenty of things Tyrion is doing after the PW, not only in the second half of ASOS, but also in ADWD, most of which happens at the same time as AFFC.

This story is hard to follow even for book readers due to the amount of locations and characters. Television needs to be linear in plot for an audience to follow. They are shooting this story more chronilogically, event-wise, than how things appear in the books. It was easy to move the Reeds and that storyline to post-Winterfell, without changing the story, so we're getting a lot of material from book 2 in season 3.

Book readers are expecting three weddings eventually. The TV audience is not. And while Sansa was supposed to marry Joffrey, I don't think there were that many people, even reading the books, that expected that would actually happen. Margery is already in KL, and now they're betrothed. She's a woman, so there's no reason to wait. Postponing Joff's wedding until even Ep 10, is going to be a push for the TV audience, much less to S4, but anything is possible.

2. The first half of ASOS ends up being wedding central, but there's only one wedding planned at the beginning of the book, and that is Joffrey and Margery's. It will be the focal point of the KL arch this season. All things lead to that wedding. Sansa & Tyrion's is a sudden political coup over the Tyrells. No one sees it coming, and it's not a lavish event. The RW is only a political move to make nice to the Freys. It's not supposed to be a big deal. Joff's is the Big Deal Event.

As other's have stated, there really is no reason to have a 3rd wedding. As long as Joffrey get's what's coming, in the manner it comes, it would not surprise me if that happens before the actual EVENT.

However, I don't think that will happen. It would be devistaing for fans I think, unless they make it better than it is in the book. (Like they did with Blackwater, shooting it at night and not having the chain.)

They could all be at a giant feast the night before, where the gifts are presented, and we could have the very same scene without the production cost of a wedding. Or, they could do it like the book. It still won't take up an antire 65min episode, not even close. Maybe 10 pages/minutes of actual screen time, interspersed with Dany scenes, Jon, and everywhere else (LS), to make the event seem more/longer than it is.

When they said they were breaking ASOS into two seasons, I still wondered how they were going to get all the ZOMFG moments into just two seasons. But visual storytelling is faster than written. I keep reminding myself of that.

..Of course the best clip was that of the BEAR.. the one scene i was sure they'd cut in the tv series (mainly cause i live in northern ireland and been keeping a close eye on wither a bear was being used by the studio) SO happy, things are really coming together now.

They had to shot some scenes in the US because he couldn't leave the country.

1. I'm very confused by this thinking. Just because Tyrion doesn't make an appearance in book 4, doesn't mean he's not doing anything. GRRM's notes at the beginning of these novels specifically state the books overlap chronologically. There's plenty of things Tyrion is doing after the PW, not only in the second half of ASOS, but also in ADWD, most of which happens at the same time as AFFC.

I think that it highly unlikely that any of Tyrion's ADWD stuff (except maybe his meeting Illyrio.) will be included in S4. So therefore his S4 arc will centre around his trial and finally escaping and killing Tywin. It's already stretching it to have him on trial for most of a season, having Joff die in E8 would have him imprisoned for like 12 episodes.

Listen, I want the PW as much as anyone this year. But I don't think this new cut in the trailer makes it more likely

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want the PW to be this year? If they try to shoe-horn it into the last episode, to me that's just bad, rushed writing. The same kind of bad, rushed writing that hurt the quality of season two compared to season one.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to see it. It's going to be a great moment for the show. What I don't get is wanting it shoved into this season when it has no business being on the show until season four. I want this show to be as great as possible, and to that end the PW needs to be several episodes into the fourth season, not needlessly pushed into the third just to give some viewers a little of what they want.

Also, if they do shove it into season three, what content are they saving for the fourth season? The PW is a major event that could have several episodes of build-up prior to its occurrence. Put that into season three and you lose the opportunity for the build-up (because everyone will be more focused on the other two weddings), which in turn eliminates a ton of potential content. You also lose the chance to establish the Red Viper and his friendship with Tyrion, which I think will play a big role in the fourth season. You would also lose the Red Viper as a potential suspect (as we don't find out immediately who did it), and given his character and motivations he is certainly a prime one.

As other's have stated, there really is no reason to have a 3rd wedding. As long as Joffrey get's what's coming, in the manner it comes, it would not surprise me if that happens before the actual EVENT

I couldn't disagree more. If Tyrion and Sansa's wedding becomes the PW, there's no Tyrion/Sansa marriage. Sansa flees KL right after Joffrey dies. Their brief marriage is a big plot point in Tyrion's character and a great mine for good Tyrion stuff for the TV show. Tyrion's been more whitewashed in the show and his treatment of Sansa is a great way to show more of how Tyrion is a good guy. He doesn't have sex with her, he tries to let her know he's sympathetic to her, he breaks the news of the RW as gently as possible and attempts to comfort her. Maybe the show will push all this to a betrothal period in order to avoid the awkwardness of the wedding night and a teenager being married to a man in his 30s.

Crap, maybe I just talked myself into T/S wedding being the PW. Although I still think it's rushing things.

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want the PW to be this year? If they try to shoe-horn it into the last episode, to me that's just bad, rushed writing. The same kind of bad, rushed writing that hurt the quality of season two compared to season one.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to see it. It's going to be a great moment for the show. What I don't get is wanting it shoved into this season when it has no business being on the show until season four. I want this show to be as great as possible, and to that end the PW needs to be several episodes into the fourth season, not needlessly pushed into the third just to give some viewers a little of what they want.

Also, if they do shove it into season three, what content are they saving for the fourth season? The PW is a major event that could have several episodes of build-up prior to its occurrence. Put that into season three and you lose the opportunity for the build-up (because everyone will be more focused on the other two weddings), which in turn eliminates a ton of potential content. You also lose the chance to establish the Red Viper and his friendship with Tyrion, which I think will play a big role in the fourth season. You would also lose the Red Viper as a potential suspect (as we don't find out immediately who did it), and given his character and motivations he is certainly a prime one.

you're not wrong, i just want to see joffrey choke. ;)

The reason people want it in S3 is because it's the logical climax for all the political scheming in KL. Having said that, it's not going to work with the current layout of the show they've revealed. Having the GW in E6, RW in E8 and PW in E10 would've been the best route, with Oberyn cast for season 3 as well and bought in for E7 or 8. This would allow him to build up over the proper amount of time. The KL would also have a much better pace than what it looks like it'll have, with the first half of the season setting up intrigue and then the latter half being a complete rollercoaster.

Sadly though D+D is in charge, not me :P

As has been said, this is definitely a room at LF's brothel.

:o Why did they include this? A big spoiler for the non-readers.

I never thought it was anything other than LF's brothel, I was just discussing the interesting interpretation of another poster :)

The spoiler you quoted isn't anything for non-readers really, no one will notice that in the split second he flashes on screen. He looks defeated and battered but other than that there is nothing unless you're looking for it (like we are :P)

I'm wondering about the white walker we get to see at 0:17. So far we've only seen completely snowed up landscapes north of the wall, and with winter coming, this just ought to be getting even more snowed up as time progresses. Now the shot we are given of the white walker, we clearly see there is only minimal snow in the air/on the ground, way less than we've ever seen anywhere north of the wall, not to mention where the white walkers are expected to be found this season (the Fist and following the NW from the Fist). Could we possibly be seeing here a white walker further south than we're expecting??

We also see some poor editing at 0:22; it almost looks like Thoros is speaking to Melisandre in person, as if she infact were standing right next to him there..

GW stands for Gold Wedding - the marriage of Tyrion and Sansa.

Thanks.

Gold sounds a weird way to describe it ...

I'm wondering about the white walker we get to see at 0:17. So far we've only seen completely snowed up landscapes north of the wall, and with winter coming, this just ought to be getting even more snowed up as time progresses. Now the shot we are given of the white walker, we clearly see there is only minimal snow in the air/on the ground, way less than we've ever seen anywhere north of the wall, not to mention where the white walkers are expected to be found this season (the Fist and following the NW from the Fist). Could we possibly be seeing here a white walker further south than we're expecting??

No, the scene just happens in a forest where the tree branches take most of the fallen snow so that a lot of snow does not reach the floor. I do not think the Others are more south than we are expecting.

This story is hard to follow even for book readers due to the amount of locations and characters. Television needs to be linear in plot for an audience to follow. They are shooting this story more chronilogically, event-wise, than how things appear in the books. It was easy to move the Reeds and that storyline to post-Winterfell, without changing the story, so we're getting a lot of material from book 2 in season 3.

Book readers are expecting three weddings eventually. The TV audience is not. And while Sansa was supposed to marry Joffrey, I don't think there were that many people, even reading the books, that expected that would actually happen. Margery is already in KL, and now they're betrothed. She's a woman, so there's no reason to wait. Postponing Joff's wedding until even Ep 10, is going to be a push for the TV audience, much less to S4, but anything is possible.

2. The first half of ASOS ends up being wedding central, but there's only one wedding planned at the beginning of the book, and that is Joffrey and Margery's. It will be the focal point of the KL arch this season. All things lead to that wedding. Sansa & Tyrion's is a sudden political coup over the Tyrells. No one sees it coming, and it's not a lavish event. The RW is only a political move to make nice to the Freys. It's not supposed to be a big deal. Joff's is the Big Deal Event.

As other's have stated, there really is no reason to have a 3rd wedding. As long as Joffrey get's what's coming, in the manner it comes, it would not surprise me if that happens before the actual EVENT.

However, I don't think that will happen. It would be devistaing for fans I think, unless they make it better than it is in the book. (Like they did with Blackwater, shooting it at night and not having the chain.)

They could all be at a giant feast the night before, where the gifts are presented, and we could have the very same scene without the production cost of a wedding. Or, they could do it like the book. It still won't take up an antire 65min episode, not even close. Maybe 10 pages/minutes of actual screen time, interspersed with Dany scenes, Jon, and everywhere else (LS), to make the event seem more/longer than it is.

When they said they were breaking ASOS into two seasons, I still wondered how they were going to get all the ZOMFG moments into just two seasons. But visual storytelling is faster than written. I keep reminding myself of that.

Very good post.

I think season 4 takes care of itself even without pulling much from novels 4 and 5.

After that , whew!, I know D and D are up to the task, but this will be where George will earn his keep!

I think they are going to need more than Bryan Cogman and George.

Unless George finishes book 6.

Things seem to get very complicated since , as far as I can see, HBO has de facto green lighted season 4.

Archived