Extended Season 3 Trailer

Westeros

Spoilers ahoy (don't know how to do the boxes, sorry)

Regarding Balon's death, I think they will show the faceless man doing it, seeing as they are all for showing things in the show that are only hinted at in the books (Renly and Loras...). I just hope they don't have Jaqen doing it, which I think would be pretty lame. it would be cool if much later on when Arya is in the HoB+W they have a man in there who looks suspiciously like Balon's gift granter.

Seems there is some ambiguity in the books about Balon's death. I remember GRRM just saying he fell off a Pyke bridge during a storm.

The Wiki says there were speculations about an assignation I don't remember these.

Well heard no rumors that Tom Wlaschiha came back this season , but then I did not expect to see Gemma Whelan either, but there she is.

Interesting to think what characters we know are not dead but will not be in season 3?

Only one I can think of is Jaqen.

(A couple of Dothraki were supposed to be there, but D and D wrote them out. Well one just flat disappeared in season 1.)

Unless Clive Mantle shows up mysteriously!

Yeah I was going to mention that , we even have Dame Rigg, with an amusing short dialog about the show.

Odd that the two trailers left the Tyrells out since they should get a lot of screen time.

So little of Arya too, who should have even more screen time.

I think the trailer tried to focus more in the VFX than characters itself, we get wildlings climbing the Wall, Dragonstone, a WW. flaming swords :o Dragons and a BEAR!!

But for how long?

The Reeds/Starks and co

My best guess is they'll decide to split up once they get near the wall which won't happen till the end of the season.

There is so much content that could be in the final episode that I think the Purple Wedding, a major event, would be far too rushed. We've got Dany taking another city, Jon (presumably) returning to Castle Black, a potential Lady Stoneheart sighting, Arya getting on a boat, the Lannisters enjoying a major victory, Stannis and company doing whatever it is they'll be doing this season, and various other characters (Bran, Jaime/Brienne, Theon, etc.) having their arcs set up for season four.

I doubt Arya will be getting on a boat in episode ten. That is skipping too much of her material after the RW to really be possible.

I really don't get this whole Purple Wedding conspiracy. How in the world will there be any time for that in episode ten?

There's three chapters between Tyrion and Sansa between R and PW. Most of it is inner monologue. The only events are a Lannister victory meeting and Sansa/Tyrion consoling and breakfast/wedding/feast.

That's like 3 scenes they need and ten minutes to show: Sansa's grief/Tyrion trying to consol her and then the events before and after the wedding. No need to actually show much of the wedding really...

Once again, Joffrey is featured prominently in the new trailer. He's got a poster for himself. What the heck is his character going to do this season other than... dying?

More or less the same as the last two seasons. Except this season he has Tywin Lannister as his hand and Magaery as his betrothed. Be interesting to see.

I am 99.99% sure the PW will not be in this season. Pacing wise, drama wise and budget wise, it makes little sense. To me, none of the arguments really hold water, either.

“The PW is the only satisfactory conclusion to this season” – Not every arc has a satisfactory, rounded conclusion. Look at the King’s Landing arc in season 1; the last scene was Joffrey showing Sansa Ned’s head, and her nearly pushing him off a bridge. A nice scene, but no real closure, and no huge climax. Season 3 could have something similar, with Tyrion comforting Sansa after the RW. Also, if the PW is the finale, it leaves season 4 without a real conclusion, as I doubt they’d keep Tyrion in a cell for the whole season, and would have to bring material from AFFC/ADWD forward (which is a whole mess of problems in itself).

“There are only 3 chapters between the RW and the PW” – It should be obvious by this point that chapter order means nothing on the show. Even discounting the radical changes last season, several chapters (particularly Dany’s) were moved around in the much more faithful first season. There’ll be plenty of other arcs to wrap up in the finale, as they seem to want to include as many people as possible in the last episode of each season.

“Without the PW, the leech burning scene/wedding preparation will feel pointless/inconclusive” – If anything, the leech burning scene will be better served by not including the PW. Having two of the three burnings come to pass will lead to a lot of speculation and excitement amongst the non book-reading audience that Joffrey is finally going to get what’s coming to him. It’s a pretty solid guarantee for a big audience next year. As for the fact that Joff and Margaery’s marriage will have been on hold for more than a season, this might prepare people for the fact that Dany will be no closer to Westeros by the end of season 5.

“Without the PW, the audience will feel cheated/won’t come back because of the RW” – As mentioned above, the leech burning scene will surely convince people that Joffrey will be getting his comeuppance in season 4. As for direct retribution for the RW, there was none for Ned’s death in season 1 and none for Stannis’ defeat in season 2. There were cheerful notes in other stories, though, and we will get that this year, with Dany’s victories and Jon returning to Castle Black.

“An extra mentioned a cluster f*ck of blood at Joffrey’s wedding” – First, this guy said it was the RW. Then, changed his mind and said it was Joffrey’s wedding. If he couldn’t tell the difference between these two (with the completely different set of characters and completely different locations), I don’t consider him reliable. Also, unless the scene has been changed dramatically, there is no reason for any blood at the PW, let alone a “cluster f*ck.”

Add to this that Aidan Gillen has mentioned Littlefinger “getting a boat” in season 4 and Charles Dance sticking around for at least 6 episodes, I don’t see them putting the PW in this season. I’ll happily admit to my foolishness if I’m wrong, but somehow, I don’t see it.

I am 99.99% sure the PW will not be in this season. Pacing wise, drama wise and budget wise, it makes little sense. To me, none of the arguments really hold water, either.

“The PW is the only satisfactory conclusion to this season” – Not every arc has a satisfactory, rounded conclusion. Look at the King’s Landing arc in season 1; the last scene was Joffrey showing Sansa Ned’s head, and her nearly pushing him off a bridge. A nice scene, but no real closure, and no huge climax. Season 3 could have something similar, with Tyrion comforting Sansa after the RW. Also, if the PW is the finale, it leaves season 4 without a real conclusion, as I doubt they’d keep Tyrion in a cell for the whole season, and would have to bring material from AFFC/ADWD forward (which is a whole mess of problems in itself).

“There are only 3 chapters between the RW and the PW” – It should be obvious by this point that chapter order means nothing on the show. Even discounting the radical changes last season, several chapters (particularly Dany’s) were moved around in the much more faithful first season. There’ll be plenty of other arcs to wrap up in the finale, as they seem to want to include as many people as possible in the last episode of each season.

“Without the PW, the leech burning scene/wedding preparation will feel pointless/inconclusive” – If anything, the leech burning scene will be better served by not including the PW. Having two of the three burnings come to pass will lead to a lot of speculation and excitement amongst the non book-reading audience that Joffrey is finally going to get what’s coming to him. It’s a pretty solid guarantee for a big audience next year. As for the fact that Joff and Margaery’s marriage will have been on hold for more than a season, this might prepare people for the fact that Dany will be no closer to Westeros by the end of season 5.

“Without the PW, the audience will feel cheated/won’t come back because of the RW” – As mentioned above, the leech burning scene will surely convince people that Joffrey will be getting his comeuppance in season 4. As for direct retribution for the RW, there was none for Ned’s death in season 1 and none for Stannis’ defeat in season 2. There were cheerful notes in other stories, though, and we will get that this year, with Dany’s victories and Jon returning to Castle Black.

“An extra mentioned a cluster f*ck of blood at Joffrey’s wedding” – First, this guy said it was the RW. Then, changed his mind and said it was Joffrey’s wedding. If he couldn’t tell the difference between these two (with the completely different set of characters and completely different locations), I don’t consider him reliable. Also, unless the scene has been changed dramatically, there is no reason for any blood at the PW, let alone a “cluster f*ck.”

Add to this that Aidan Gillen has mentioned Littlefinger “getting a boat” in season 4 and Charles Dance sticking around for at least 6 episodes, I don’t see them putting the PW in this season. I’ll happily admit to my foolishness if I’m wrong, but somehow, I don’t see it.

Pretty much this. I was one of the people who thought you needed the leech burning and three kings' deaths all in one season but you're right, it creates that suspense for non-book-readers so hopefully PW in s4.

If the PW is in season 4, than means Jamie is out of KL for over two full seasons.

It's doable, but that means quite a bit of invented business for Jamie & Brienne between ep 3:07 and 4:0? (after the PW.)

If the PW is in season 4, than means Jamie is out of KL for over two full seasons.

It's doable, but that means quite a bit of invented business for Jamie & Brienne between ep 3:07 and 4:0? (after the PW.)

They might only appear in one epsiode after that, on the way back to KL.

They might only appear in one epsiode after that, on the way back to KL.

Which will then create the plothole of where on earth they are in the intervening time. Considering Tywin apparently manages to hightail it from Harrenhal to KL in about 2 days, with an army, it makes no sense for Jaime and Brienne to take so long to reach KL. Certainly the viewers aren't going to be happy with it. You do not put a character in a major spotlight, completely change everything we thought we knew about them and then have them vanish for no reason until half-way through the next season. That is bad writing plain and simple. The already tenuous arguments for putting the PW so far into S4 are imo completely discredited based on Jaime's arc, which will be a consideration.

Which will then create the plothole of where on earth they are in the intervening time. Considering Tywin apparently manages to hightail it from Harrenhal to KL in about 2 days, with an army, it makes no sense for Jaime and Brienne to take so long to reach KL. Certainly the viewers aren't going to be happy with it. You do not put a character in a major spotlight, completely change everything we thought we knew about them and then have them vanish for no reason until half-way through the next season. That is bad writing plain and simple. The already tenuous arguments for putting the PW so far into S4 are imo completely discredited based on Jaime's arc, which will be a consideration.

Don't even get me started on the travel times last season! XD

But seriously, there's every chance they'll invent stuff for Brienne and Jaime to do en route to King's Landing. Given that Brienne will have very little to do after she leaves King's Landing, it would make sense for them to delay their arrival for a bit yet.

Protar I know your concerns about D&D (I have the same concerns in fact) but it's obvious by now they're not bothered about things like travel times. I cite s2's Littlefinger Teleportation Device. I'm not sure tv viewers really care that much either; it's mostly book-readers who are used to the continuity and thoroughness in GRRM's writing that notice stuff like that.

Protar I know your concerns about D&D (I have the same concerns in fact) but it's obvious by now they're not bothered about things like travel times. I cite s2's Littlefinger Teleportation Device. I'm not sure tv viewers really care that much either; it's mostly book-readers who are used to the continuity and thoroughness in GRRM's writing that notice stuff like that.

LF's teleporter, while frustrating and odd is not technically a plot hole. We don't know how much time it takes for him to travel these distances. With Tywin it's specifically said that Stannis' fleet is 2 days away in E8, and yet Tywin still manages to get to KL leaving in E8. I suppose you could argue that the different story arcs aren't necessarily in sync and these plot holes go back as far as S1 (Fun fact: it's established it takes a month to get from Winterfell to KL which means Robert ends up hunting in the Kingswood for months seeing as Ros starts the journey after he leaves but finishes it before he gets back.).

The real problem though is not the travel times which are really just minutiae for us nerds. The real issue is having Jaime absent for half a season and wasting the impact of all his character development from S3. The show watchers aren't going to know that he can't be at the PW they're just going to be frustrated about where he is.

And as for giving Jaime and Brienne invented scenes, I challenge anyone to come up with what 6 episodes of material that isn't filler. It can't be done.

I want to start out by saying I agreed totally with everything you wrote, which is why I didn't quote the rest of your post.

As far as the leeches, not having the Purple Wedding in season three could lead to a different conclusion for non-readers: maybe Melisandre isn't as powerful as she's leading everyone to believe. Maybe it's not the Red God killing these people but just plain old poor castle design or bad decision-making. :)

Regardless, I don't see the lack of payoff for the third leech as a problem at all. They can do what they always do when they reference something from a previous season and show a clip of Stannis tossing the leeches in the fire in the "previously on" bit, or even have him questioning Melisandre and the Red God near the start of season four.

Travel times by walking, horse back , or raven flight ... well neither does George.

Hasn't Martin himself gone on record before about how he wasn't terribly concerned with travel times being realistic when he wrote the books? I'm fairly certain there are more than a few instances in the books where they aren't consistent.

Fun fact: it's established it takes a month to get from Winterfell to KL which means Robert ends up hunting in the Kingswood for months seeing as Ros starts the journey after he leaves but finishes it before he gets back.

Ros went by ship, it's clearly established in the show.

The real problem though is not the travel times which are really just minutiae for us nerds. The real issue is having Jaime absent for half a season and wasting the impact of all his character development from S3. The show watchers aren't going to know that he can't be at the PW they're just going to be frustrated about where he is.

Yep this is what I'm worried about. They need to keep the momentum in Jaime's arc going, which will be especially difficult given the internal nature of Jaime's redemption (the dream inc. his mother, his reflective thinking).

Hasn't Martin himself gone on record before about how he wasn't terribly concerned with travel times being realistic when he wrote the books? I'm fairly certain there are more than a few instances in the books where they aren't consistent.

He is on record as noting it but he didn't express that he was unconcerned about it.

Archived