Extended Season 3 Trailer

Westeros

It certainly doesn't look like the PW will be the season's finale but I'm having a hard time racking my brain in figuring out what they would conclude with as far as the intrigue in King's Landing goes by the end of the season.

And I would imagine that the whole of season 3 would be the build up to that wedding since it's the only wedding that tv viewers would have any insight into.

With that said, there's certainly no evidence for it appearing this season.

Having the final shot of the season being of Lady Stoneheart would be absolutely bad ass though.

So strange that no Tyrells are in any of the trailers.

Agreed. No Margaery looking slutty and/or devious? No Queen of Thorns making wisecracks? No Loras hitting on Sansa? (I'm pretty sure Loras will be swapped in for Willas in the Tyrell marriage plot.) Heck, Margaery didn't even make the character posters, and you'd think she'd be a prime non-Stark/Lannister/Dany candidate for the marketing folks (beautiful, photogenic, very important in Season 3). The making-of videos were pretty heavy on Tyrells, though, and there were HBO character stills released showing the Queen of Thorns and Margaery, so it's not like they're being coy about it (unlike, say, Iwan Rheon as "Boy," who's unsurprisingly absent from all promotional materials/trailers to date).

There's only been a sum total of 1 minute 20 secs of trailer footage. So the omission of the Tyrells is not that shocking I guess!

Honestly, I think it is. They were featured in the finale last season, the tv only audience knows Joffery & Margaery are betrothed. They included Beric, and a few other new characters. If the PW is this season, I think a lack of set spoilers and the trailers with zero Tyrells points to it being ep 4.03 or 4.04, because the scheme has to be set up. If it is this season the Tyrells are going to be very important and featured front & center, if its not, they'll be more in the background trying to marry Sansa to, probably Loras.

Agreed. No Margaery looking slutty and/or devious? No Queen of Thorns making wisecracks? No Loras hitting on Sansa? (I'm pretty sure Loras will be swapped in for Willas in the Tyrell marriage plot.) Heck, Margaery didn't even make the character posters, and you'd think she'd be a prime non-Stark/Lannister/Dany candidate for the marketing folks (beautiful, photogenic, very important in Season 3). The making-of videos were pretty heavy on Tyrells, though, and there were HBO character stills released showing the Queen of Thorns and Margaery, so it's not like they're being coy about it (unlike, say, Iwan Rheon as "Boy," who's unsurprisingly absent from all promotional materials/trailers to date).

There's a metric shit-load of Tyrells on the HBO visit to the set videos for season 3.

Ok, I'll ask the obvious, perhaps stupid question..... are we still getting that TWO MINUTE trailer tonight/the one that's supposed to be on HBO OD tomorrow? This extended one isn't up yet.

There's every reason to hide the Viper's casting, you say so yourself: because it would signal the PW. Remember Sean Connery in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves? They still want to surprise hardcore fans, as well as new fans.

Letting Ramsey's casting be known is a signal to all the Theon fans - he's one of the ManCandyâ„¢, and like the Reeds, his material really starts in ACOK.

The PW is halfway through ASOS. There's still TONS of stuff to come before Tyrion and his crossbow, plus all the events happening simultaneously that are from AFFC & ADWD. As was stated so brilliantly above: The show is chronological, not bookalogical.

IMO, if the RW doesn't happen in 3:10, then it needs to happen in 4:1.

I also think the reason they're bringing Lysa and Robin in this season, is if the audience doesn't see them for two full seasons, Robin won't be recognizable in season 4 due to normal human growth. I think everyone will remember her with one missing season... she's rather hard to forget.

But they didn't let Ramsay's casting be known. It was revealed that a certain actor was cast as "Boy," and fans put two and two together. As far as I know, Ramsay has not officially been cast, nor has any footage of Theon (without his face covered) been released. Your logic there just makes no sense.

Further, I don't follow your line of thinking about the Red Viper at all. His appearance in and of itself would not signal that the Purple Wedding was happening in season three. It could just as easily mean they were introducing him early to get audiences familiar with him before the PW in season four increases his prominence. Regardless, this show hasn't really been able to hide major casting decisions. If the Red Viper were cast, or even if someone who might potentially be the Red Viper were cast, we would have heard about it by now. There's no benefit to hiding the announcement anyway.

If the show magically was able to cast the Red Viper and hide it from everyone, kudos. I just don't think that's at all a realistic line of thinking. Feel free to keep thinking it, but be prepared to admit you were wrong when episode ten hits and Joffrey remains unmarried. :)

It certainly doesn't look like the PW will be the season's finale but I'm having a hard time racking my brain in figuring out what they would conclude with as far as the intrigue in King's Landing goes by the end of the season.

And I would imagine that the whole of season 3 would be the build up to that wedding since it's the only wedding that tv viewers would have any insight into.

With that said, there's certainly no evidence for it appearing this season.

Having the final shot of the season being of Lady Stoneheart would be absolutely bad ass though.

There is so much content that could be in the final episode that I think the Purple Wedding, a major event, would be far too rushed. We've got Dany taking another city, Jon (presumably) returning to Castle Black, a potential Lady Stoneheart sighting, Arya getting on a boat, the Lannisters enjoying a major victory, Stannis and company doing whatever it is they'll be doing this season, and various other characters (Bran, Jaime/Brienne, Theon, etc.) having their arcs set up for season four.

I really don't get this whole Purple Wedding conspiracy. How in the world will there be any time for that in episode ten?

Honestly, I think it is. They were featured in the finale last season, the tv only audience knows Joffery & Margaery are betrothed. They included Beric, and a few other new characters. If the PW is this season, I think a lack of set spoilers and the trailers with zero Tyrells points to it being ep 4.03 or 4.04, because the scheme has to be set up. If it is this season the Tyrells are going to be very important and featured front & center, if its not, they'll be more in the background trying to marry Sansa to, probably Loras.

I think the issue is that the Tyrells won't really be doing much but sitting around in King's Landing and talking, and while their conversations might be completely interesting, the footage itself doesn't make for a very compelling preview trailer.

The footage they choose to use in the trailers and the proportion of each character they show is in no way reflective of what will be shown in the episodes over the course of the season. This show has, I believe, 43,000 characters that are involved and could be used in the promotional material. They just aren't going to get to everybody. I think the behind the scenes stuff they've released for this season was overly Tyrell-heavy so I'm sure they'll be front and centre on the show. The trailers are not responsible for giving you a representative sampling of everything that's going on, it's there to make you want to watch the new season, that's it. For whatever reason, other shots took priority.

But they didn't let Ramsay's casting be known. It was revealed that a certain actor was cast as "Boy," and fans put two and two together. As far as I know, Ramsay has not officially been cast, nor has any footage of Theon (without his face covered) been released. Your logic there just makes no sense.

I think you completely misundertood what I meant, (or, more likely, I didn't understand what you meant), and if I was unclear, then, apologies. Your point above, agrees completely with my point below: so I don't know how my logic makes no sense, when you just made my point for me. :)

There's every reason to hide the Viper's casting, you say so yourself: because it would signal the PW. Remember Sean Connery in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves? They still want to surprise hardcore fans, as well as new fans.

If they've cast The Red Viper, at this point (after what happened with "the boy"), I'd have any actor I cast in a role that I wanted to keep underwraps, sign a nondisclosure agreement. If they want the PW to be a surprise, I'd keep his casting underwraps, otherwise there's no reason to have him this season. I think the PW must have his presence, but that's just me...]

Just found a very fun article about what would happen if the show catches up with the books:

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2013/03/will-game-of-thrones-overtake-novels.html?spref=tw

2013: Season 3 - A Storm of Swords Part 1

2014: Season 4 - A Storm of Swords Part 2/A Feast for Crows/A Dance with DragonsPart 1

2015: Season 5 - A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons Part 2

Late 2015: Possible Winds of Winter release date.

2016: Season 6 - A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons Part 3/The Winds of WinterPart 1

2017: Season 7 - The Winds of Winter Part 2

2018: Season 8 - The Winds of Winter Part 3/A Dream of Spring Part 1

2019: Season 9 - A Dream of Spring Part 2/longest realistic lifespan of the TV series

The weddings happen relatively close together in the books.

Jaime finds out about the weddings not long after the bear pit scene.

It looks from the trailer the bear pit scene is going to be shown

this season. When Jaime arrives in Kings Landing the funeral rites

are taking place.

are taking place.

Yes but they are on the road between Harrenhal and KL for quite a while. They first travel for a number of days, when Brienne finds bits and pieces of men's clothing to fit her on the way. Then they find out about the RW at a place called Brindlewood, and after that news, Jaime reflects that Brienne seemed half-dead. They are on the road a few more days (a week?) before they get the news of Joffrey's death, and they ride hard next day day to get to KL. So if the RW is in Ep 9, there is actually quite a bit of time chronologically between when the RW occurs, and the PW with Joffrey's death. More than enough time to have some of the political lead-up to the PW in Ep 10, with the actual wedding and all the fallout in Season 4. There is certainly enough action in the various parallel storylines outside KL to fill Ep 10, leaving the PW for early in S4.

PRO: The PW will be included:

* Queen of Thorns is casted. Her character has no role outside of PW.

* "Bear and the Maiden Fair" is a King's Landing Scene, as well as a Brienne scene.

* 2x10 had a major plot (Tower of the Undying) and a cliffhanger (Fist of the First Men). The S3 cliffhanger will be PW.

CON: PW will not be included:

* Oberyn is not believed to be casted.

* The Dorne subplot cannot be fit into S3 or is mistimed.

* Sansa/Littlefinger need more time to prepare an exit.

My thoughts:

* More clues point toward PRO. More clues are upset by CON.

* Oberyn can be introduced around the same time Jaime returns to KL. Tyrion does not have to meet Oberyn prior to imprisonment. Suspicion that Oberyn poisoned Joffrey ignores Lady Olenna's / Littlefinger's role, so Oberyn does not need to be a suspect in the TV series.

* Lady Olenna must do something this season or her character is wasted.

* Lady Olenna is casted, and "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" is expected to be her major episode. Why cast her for S3 and skip this scene with Sansa and the song? Why go to that trouble of cluing her and then put off PW to S4?

* In my opinion, the risk of depressing the audience by delaying PW to S4 outweighs the pacing concern. ASoS is just like that, one blow after the next.

Spoilers ahoy (don't know how to do the boxes, sorry)

Regarding Balon's death, I think they will show the faceless man doing it, seeing as they are all for showing things in the show that are only hinted at in the books (Renly and Loras...). I just hope they don't have Jaqen doing it, which I think would be pretty lame. it would be cool if much later on when Arya is in the HoB+W they have a man in there who looks suspiciously like Balon's gift granter.

And about the PW, I really don't think they will have it this season. I think they will have the scene with Mel having three leeches for three kings, but she won't specify which ones, so at the end of the season show watchers will ponder on whether it will be Stannis or Joff. (I can't remember in what part of which book Stannis leaves Dragonstone, but maybe they'll have some thing about men going to capture Dragonstone and the viewers won't know that Stannis isn't there still... or something along those lines...)

The weddings happen relatively close together in the books.

are taking place.

Exactly. Which is one of the reasons I don't see how they can push the PW to half way through next season. Keeping Jamie out of KL for 14 more (extended) eps seems insane to me.

Yes, they were on the road for a few days

after the pit scene and then others to get

to Kings Landing. The PW could be delayed

to the first couple of episodes of the fourth

season but I don't think it could be pushed

back much further.

The PW has to take place before Jaime returns to KL

because Jaime obviously can't be at the PW.

Archived