PhD research into GoT fandom: Introduction and general discussion

Inevittable

Non-scientist academics, having a well-deserved inferiority complex, are meaner than scientists. Everyone knows that.

I thought I would not have to deal with stupid, disrespectful science wars in forum. Obviosly, I was wrong.

Anyway, I don't like all the boobs in the TV series. All explicit sex scenes adds nothing, IMHO.

SB, phd candidate in psychology and gender sciences

As someone in the final year of their Media Studies PhD I must admit, this sounds like a bizarre topic for a thesis to me.

What is your intellectual frame of reference for this study? What exactly do you mean by the 'history and current practices of the fan community...'? Has anybody challenged you as to the validity of what I can only assume is a thesis relying on empirical data?

I honestly have a million questions I could ask (ok maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration lol) but without seeing anything really specific details wise, and just going by that title and very short introduction I'd love to know what exactly is the point of your PhD?

I'm not trying to be cruel by any means.

For example, my PhD is attempting to rehabilatate the reputation of a Marxist Philosopher whose theories were highly influentual to Media Theory in the 1970's but has since fallen heavily out of favour, whilst simultaneously developing a working methodology for the analysis of film based on his work.

Therefore there are two immediate practical implications for A. The teaching of media studies B. The analysis of film that result from my PhD.

What exactly is your PhD attempting to achieve?

Giving the benefit of the doubt and hoping that the abrasive tone was unintentional:

Changes in the ways texts are produced and engaged with are attracting growing academic interest, alongside the field of fan studies that has been developing steadily since the early 1990s. My thesis will contribute new detail, via a case study of a culturally important text and its audience, to the fields of fan studies and adaptation, using a cross-disciplinary approach drawn from media studies, cultural studies and adaptation theory. The validity of my research was questioned, along with my theoretical framework and method, as part of the progression process ('mini viva') that my institution requires of doctoral students, which I passed with no revisions.

I'm not really sure what's unclear about "history and current practices", but essentially it's 'what's happened before, and what's happening now'.

We all have different interests, which is the point and beauty of the PhD; many many people becoming experts in their own area and contributing to the whole. I am trying to achieve, as I'm sure you are, a contribution to the field, about a topic that I love.

• 8 months later...

Archived