PhD research into GoT fandom: Introduction and general discussion

Inevittable

At least you liked it for a decent reason. How much younger? I strongly suggest never reading it again and remembering it as good.

I think I read it when I was 13. I'll put it in the same category as 'Magician' and 'A Spell for Chameleon'. Thanks for the heads up.

:bowdown: Thank you, that thread is awesome. :bowdown:

You're welcome. WK's NedBert thread is also brilliant and worth checking out.

I'd refer you to my Tyrion is the Best Person in Westeros thread too but that got deleted. :(

StanStan is weird to me. I don't remember Stan fans pre-floob. Some people liked him, some didn't, some were indifferent, but there was none of this OMG he is the best he must be king blah. SanSan and other weirdness were always around in a low-key way (the floob doesn't do low-key, admittedly, but at least I see where they're coming from.) StanStan appears to have emerged spontaneously out of the sludge. Is it something leaking over from the show? Is he cooler there? (Haven't seen it, i'm afraid.)

StanStan is weird to me. I don't remember Stan fans pre-floob.

Maybe when there are more fans and your opinion isn't being specifically heard, you have to grab onto something to differentiate yourself? And Stannis for king sounds like a way to differentiate yourself, because who else would possibly want that?

SanSan and other weirdness were always around in a low-key way
Were you not around when then "Sandor appreciation threads" appeared? That was not low key. If I recall, there were threats of ban, and the main posters took their shipping to livejournal.

Shipping generally seemed to appear in book forums at the same time the show began. So did overanalysis, now that I think about it, R+L=J always seemed bad to me in this respect but I was not prepared for the horrors of the "foreshadowing" or character rereads threads. I guess it comes with having 45000 more people than in 2008...

StanStan appears to have emerged spontaneously out of the sludge. Is it something leaking over from the show? Is he cooler there?
Yes, apparently. He's also not that bad in ADWD. But mostly it feels like another flying spaghetti monster worship.

Sure, there were argument for and against Sandor (with and without Sansa) but there wasn't shipping, per se. I think the re-read threads and analysis and stuff are a bit of a pushback against all the shipping and squee, doing something that is self conciously high-falutin' and literary. Plus, just people who've been over everything so many times that theres not a ton of interest in another "who's the best fighter" thread.

Shipping generally seemed to appear in book forums at the same time the show began. So did overanalysis, now that I think about it, .

Wait, overanalysis is bad now?

I didn't get a memo from the board hivemind about this, somebody f*cked up!

I'd somehow managed never to hear of ASoIaF before I saw a poster of Sean Bean looking awesome. Read the books, and been incredibly ambivalent about the series.

My number is a measly #40647 :crying:

I spent a bit of time fucking around, before permanently settling in FG's.

StanStan is weird to me. I don't remember Stan fans pre-floob. Some people liked him, some didn't, some were indifferent, but there was none of this OMG he is the best he must be king blah.

There were definitely people who were very big Stannis fans, who identified with him and argued his corner and admired him. I recall many people who were resolute on that. The biggest difference I see is that the current wave of Stannis fans seem to have a very different conception of the character than the one that actually appears in the books. Whereas previously Stannis fans were all about the rightness of his claim, his moral principles, etc., the current wave seems to be based to a considerable degree on the character being 'badass', 'hilarious', and 'cool', none of which are terms that previous Stannis fans would ever have used. They also seem able to tolerate a high degree of cognitive dissonance in, for example, simultaneously admiring Stannis and Robert or Stannis and Ned, despite the fact that Stannis had little time for either, or supporting Stannis' claim and Northern independence.

My own theory is that there's a degree of transference going on from people who might otherwise have been Robert/Robb/Ned fans: they're looking for a 'badass' 'good guy' character and Stannis got elected by virtue of being, more or less, the last man standing. The bits of his character that don't fit get filed off. Why do they go for Stannis and not Jon? That's the interesting question. I think Jon is maybe just too clean-cut or maybe too 'standard' a character. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Yeah, thats more or less what I meant - there were certainly pro-Stannis folk, but not so much, like, Stannis fanboys/girls, who thought he was just so freaking cool. (I think even his biggest fans would have agree he's, um, a difficult personality.)

Stannis vs. Jon - This might the effect of ADWD, more than the show. Stannis spends ADWD tromping about and fighting battles while looking stoic, Jon spends it being fantasy UNHCR, dealing with the entrenched prejucies of beaureacrats and worrying about logistics.

Tyrion and Dany threads are the best, I could probably sit for days reading all the justifications people have for Tyrion and Dany's actions. It really is quite scary at times.

Good luck with your research, but like some have noted, the GC seems more like a place to mock the fandom rather than to study it. Come to think of it, that kind of distinction probably arises in many communities, I know I was a newbie hater back in my Quake days...

I think the re-read threads and analysis and stuff are a bit of a pushback against all the shipping and squee, doing something that is self conciously high-falutin' and literary. Plus, just people who've been over everything so many times that theres not a ton of interest in another "who's the best fighter" thread.
I don't know. When you ask someone what is the relevance of saying Arya is like Demeter and they cannot answer you, I see that as having gone full circle, barely hiding the squee below a thin veneer of literacy.

I don't know. When you ask someone what is the relevance of saying Arya is like Demeter and they cannot answer you, I see that as having gone full circle, barely hiding the squee below a thin veneer of literacy.

Well, if we accept that GRRM plays around a lot with both tropes and myths then the first step towards the second step is uncovering which myths/tropes are relevant? Also, I think that most of the groundless suggestions are a combination of people wanting to participate and a "first" attempt at some literary analysis, neither is really harmful.

Archived