If it ends up being protagonist vs. protagonist ...

I want to see Rickon, Bran and Arya warg into the three Dragons and show all the other spiteful, self-serving, dishonourable back-biting barstewards exactly why you don't mess with the descendents of the First Men. And then I want everyone to realise how devastating war is for everyone involved and that their selfish actions have plunged the nation into a food crisis and spiral of debt mirroring that of certain European Union countries. So they all kiss, make up and realise that it's better to have your friends, your family and your health than to strive for an extra large share of a bankrupt state.

I want to see Rickon, Bran and Arya warg into the three Dragons and show all the other spiteful, self-serving, dishonourable back-biting barstewards exactly why you don't mess with the descendents of the First Men. And then I want everyone to realise how devastating war is for everyone involved and that their selfish actions have plunged the nation into a food crisis and spiral of debt mirroring that of certain European Union countries. So they all kiss, make up and realise that it's better to have your friends, your family and your health than to strive for an extra large share of a bankrupt state.

Stannis had no choice but to go to war. Beset by enemies, all determined to kill him for his throne. He had the least amount of support but he's managed to pull through and survive. He is the only king that gives a damn about his people, he is not fighting for the throne because he wants it, he is fighting for it because its his. Because two lannister bastards stole it. Because he is the only man for the job, westeros needs him and badly.

If you want to blame someon for the war blame the lannisters, tywin Jaime and cersei in particular. They are the greediest most selfish backstabbing family in all westeros. And they will be served hard justice, stannis style.

At this point, I want the kids to win. That means I hope that Bran, Rickon, Arya, Sansa, Tommen, Myrcella, Shireen, Edric, Gendry and Trystane end up skipping through fields of daises with Hot PIe. (I think poor, spoiled and unwell Sweetrobin is doomed no matter what.) But, this is Game of Thrones so the chances of that are at about 0.

I want the North (sans the Boltons) to win against everybody.

The poor Riverlands need a break. They are going under.

Since Jon is the only military commander left in House Stark, I hope the King in the North, AA, best looking of the back brothers kicks everyone's ass. (He will probably die, but I really hope for this outcome.)

I would pick Dany over Faegon if she would get a bloody move on.

I want someone, anyone to kick the Tyrells backsides because they seem as greedy and having at the Lannisters.

The Lannisters are pretty much doomed by their own choices, and the only two of them that could be labelled as protagonists in my book are Myrcella and Tommen.

I kind of want Varys to make it out alive. I hope he keeps on swimming.

I think it's pretty obvious by this point that the South will hate Dany for the dance of the dragons, and the North will hate Jon for allowing the wildlings to pass through the Wall. Jon, Dany and Tyrion - coincidentally our three main heroes - are all going to be hated by the people of Westeros IMO.

There's little textual evidence for this, in fact the text suggests the opposite, at least in the case of Jon. The Flint and Old Norrey are the heads of their clans, and come to the wall to attend a Karstark/wildling wedding. They bring things Jon needs but does not have. They don't love, but accept his idea of opening the gate to the wildlings. Why? Because they've been following House Stark for thousands of years and accepting their decisions as to what is best for The North. Jon's already shown them respect by sending a southron king to treat with them and ask for their help. And they're all looking for a Stark to follow, one doesn't need his fingers to count his age. Who is Jon? Son of their beloved Ned. The old guard of the Night's Watch might mutiny against Jon, the North, probably not.

I would agree with you on the other two, that's what the text suggests. Dany has dragons and followers that the southerners will regard as uncivilized, plus she's a woman seeking power. Tyrion is hated as a dwarf, king & kinslayer.

The two situations are quite different, going by what the text has thus far given us.

mainly rooting for Arya, Jaime, Samwell, and to a slightly lesser extent Jon & Tyrion.

don't care too much for Dany or Aegon.

not overly keen on any of the Greyjoy's, but if i had to pick one to survive, would opt for Euron.

i also hope that at least 1 of Varys/Littlefinger survive the series.

I think it's pretty obvious by this point that the South will hate Dany for the dance of the dragons, and the North will hate Jon for allowing the wildlings to pass through the Wall. Jon, Dany and Tyrion - coincidentally our three main heroes - are all going to be hated by the people of Westeros IMO.

I think you're over reaching with this conclusions. While I don't doubt the Southerners won't be fighting themselves to welcome Dany and Tyrion there is no conclusive evidence that the northerners will feel the same way about Jon. Tyrion is an accused kinslayer/kingslayer so is not as if they love him. While Dany will likely beat Aegon probably to her own detriment in popularity since who knows the kind of support he might be able to gather around him before his demise. And even if he's not that popular Dany is running the risk of being labeled as a kinslayer/kingslayer even though Aegon is probably a fake. Not to mention that her entourage will probably consist of people that most Westerosi would at least look side eyed.

As for Jon, the love and respect commanded by the Targaryens and Lannisters in the south, or anywhere in Westeros really, is nothing in comparison to what most of the northerners feel for the Starks of Winterfell (in the North mind you!). Even as low as they are right now we still see people making their way through snow blizzards for just one of them. Jon is not only the son of their beloved Ned but according to Robb's will the appointed successor chosen by their murdered King in the North. He is a Stark already. As was pointed out above when Jon let the wildings through at least two northern representatives consented to what he was doing even if they were not jumping with glee about it. They recognized it as a necessary measure and approve of the way Jon was handling the situation.

The key being that in view of the possible zombie apocalypse they are facing they accepted the necessity to implement extraordinary measures, such as joining with the wildings. Somehow I don't see the northerners having the time to bitch about the wildings and how much they hate Jon for letting them through when they have ice zombies knocking on their door.

Finally, history teach us that the Starks united with the Kings beyond the Wall at least once and by the looks of it northerners do not go about hating them for it. Due to his particular knowledge of both cultures, his own merits and his status as LC or even successor of the King in the North Jon is uniquely positioned to be the one the North will look up to for leadership in the upcoming battle. Assuming of course he survives his stabbing or doesn't returns as UnJon.

• 1 year later...

It could be Sansa vs. Stannis. He doesn't want her as Lady of Winterfell because she's married to a Lannister, and if he finds out she's "Littlefinger's puppet" (that's how he'll see her) he'll be even less willing to acknowledge her rights.

(I know, Stannis isn't a POV character, but we have 2 POVs currently with him (Asha and Theon) and a third, Davos, who's deeply committed to his cause.)

Archived