Any Londoners/Visitors to London wanna give me some ideas!?

For a slightly smaller museum I recommend the Wallace Collection. They have a great selection of swords, armour, firearms, clothing etc. from medieval to early modern.

For drinks I recommend Gordon's wine bar outside Charing Cross.

Re: the National Gallery: they have guided tours twice daily....last time I went to London I went on one and was really impressed with it. The pointed out things about the paintings I never would have seen on my own...

The British museum also has gallery tours led by volunteers, largely by accident I tagged along on one (I don't know if they are free or if I just avoided paying :uhoh: ) and I was really impressed with the self-taught expertise of the guide. Good fun because we stopped and examined objects that otherwise would not have caught my eye.

But if you are only free in the evenings those types of tours are less likely to be available.

I'm planning on going to London in October. I know I didn't ask for these suggestions but they're great. How far is Windsor Castle from the city? And is the Imperial War Museum worth a look?

Windsor castle, circa an hour from Waterloo station or circa half an hour from Paddington station. The town centre is quaint. pleasant views over the thames. Several times during the year the mausoleum where Victoria and Albert and some of their children iirc are buried is opened down in the grounds (Although apparently closed throughout 2013, sorry)

Is the Imperial War Museum worth a look? Well that depends on how much WWI and WWII interest you. It's completely closed for refurbishment until July and partially open until April 2014, have a look at their website for details. They do not have exhibits covering British imperial wars before WWI, if that is what you are interested in then try the National army museum instead

Gordon's Wine Bar is pretty fun, though it is so, so busy at all hours of the day and night. Inside downstairs is like being in a fucking mine which is unpleasant to say the least. Outside is lovely in the summer.

Windsor castle, circa an hour from Waterloo station or circa half an hour from Paddington station. The town centre is quaint. pleasant views over the thames. Several times during the year the mausoleum where Victoria and Albert and some of their children iirc are buried is opened down in the grounds (Although apparently closed throughout 2013, sorry)

Is the Imperial War Museum worth a look? Well that depends on how much WWI and WWII interest you. It's completely closed for refurbishment until July and partially open until April 2014, have a look at their website for details. They do not have exhibits covering British imperial wars before WWI, if that is what you are interested in then try the National army museum instead

I'm into military history in general but I think the National Army museum is more what I'm looking for. I didn't know it existed, thank you. I may have to go to both.

I'm planning on going to London in October. I know I didn't ask for these suggestions but they're great. How far is Windsor Castle from the city? And is the Imperial War Museum worth a look?

Hi, bud! I was lucky enough to go to London this past October. I did not have a chance to go to the Imperial War Museum, but I did go to the Churchill War Rooms. It is walking distance from Buckingham Palace. You can take the tube to it. It was unbelievable. Just unbelievable. I think you will very much enjoy this part of military history. I could not believe that this location was so close to the palace and that it is still extant. Admission doesn't cost all that much and there's an excellent Churchill and WWII museum attached to it. All underground.

Hi, bud! I was lucky enough to go to London this past October. I did not have a chance to go to the Imperial War Museum, but I did go to the Churchill War Rooms. It is walking distance from Buckingham Palace. You can take the tube to it. It was unbelievable. Just unbelievable. I think you will very much enjoy this part of military history. I could not believe that this location was so close to the palace and that it is still extant. Admission doesn't cost all that much and there's an excellent Churchill and WWII museum attached to it. All underground.

Hey hey! I'm looking for a hotel within walking distance of Parliament and Buckingham Palace. I didn't even think about the Churchill War room. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do and that's another one. What's the weather like in October?

Hey hey! I'm looking for a hotel within walking distance of Parliament and Buckingham Palace. I didn't even think about the Churchill War room. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do and that's another one. What's the weather like in October?

For a Florida chick it was COLD!! We were lucky rainwise, but I had to wear a coat, glove, scarf and hat. It was in the 40's. It was windy too. Just do the layer thing and wear or hold on to your coat in the airplane. I'm sure you know how to travel for cool to freezing since you live where you live. :D

For a Florida chick it was COLD!! We were lucky rainwise, but I had to wear a coat, glove, scarf and hat. It was in the 40's. It was windy too. Just do the layer thing and wear or hold on to your coat in the airplane. I'm sure you know how to travel for cool to freezing since you live where you live. :D

I was in Florida last week and it was so warm. I can handle 40's. I love the cold. It's going to be so awesome.

I was in Florida last week and it was so warm. I can handle 40's. I love the cold. It's going to be so awesome.

Cool! Where did you go in Florida? I didn't see. Is this the first time you've been to London?

If you like Museums, smaller ones apart from the British Museum etc. that are worth visiting are thr Hunterian Museum and the Wellcome Collection. And if you're around the kings cross/bloomsbury area, the Queens Head on Acton Street is a good local pub for ales and ciders, the have a LOT of local things on tap and bottled plus many international artisan ales etc.

Well, if anybody is big into (craft) beer in London I can provide plenty of recs for places you'll want to go depending on budget, location, etc.

And what can we really tell you about the weather in October?! We live in a temperate zone. We have as much idea as any visitor what the weather will be like in that month. :) It could be cool (about 10 deg C) and wet, or it could be in the low 20's C with blue sunny skies. Layers, layers, layers. Have a hat or something hooded and some gloves just in case.

What's the weather like in October?

Last October was freezing, I was used to the more mild south west of England, and scarf, coat and gloves were definitely needed. This was during the evening though. We were lucky with the rain but always bring something waterproof and a brolly if you can! :laugh:

Let us know when you're about, I'm sure we could organise a meet-up if you fancy it :)

Last October was freezing, I was used to the more mild south west of England, and scarf, coat and gloves were definitely needed. This was during the evening though. We were lucky with the rain but always bring something waterproof and a brolly if you can! :laugh:

Let us know when you're about, I'm sure we could organise a meet-up if you fancy it :)

I haven't booked it yet but my superiors at work said any time in october is good, so I'm probably going to be there the second and part of the third week. I'll be sure to keep you posted though.

I know right? It was crazy freezing. That's the first thing I texted you when I arrived! I'm just happy I had packed what I needed. I miss you!!!

Archived