Is Valyrian Steel a good investment?

Bran Swift

I am thinking of getting one of the Valyrian Steel items. It would be cool to have around, but I'd also like to sell it on in a few years. Perhaps this isn't the most noble of ideas (I might get two though, one for me and one for holding onto), but seeing how much the Longclaws sell for now compared to their original price, it seems like a pretty good idea to me.

What are your thoughts? Will all the products rise in value in, let's say, the next 3 years, as the popularity of the series continues to rise? I guess it depends on the item itself and it's popularity/ renown. Any thoughts from Valyrian Steel owners?

Well since there is a very limited number of each product, I would assume they would all go up in value. How much are the Longclaws and Ice's going for now?

I just grabbed one of the Warhammers so when those sell out, they would probably at least double in value from the $300 I paid for.

Longclaws are easily selling for $1500 + and Ice sells for 800ish based on ebay auctions. Keep in mind these were being offered for sale long before HBO got ahold of the series, anything released today will likely not trend similarly and I would bet show replicas will come no where close in resale value.

Needle has been available for too long to think people would suddenly pay triple after its gone. Time will tell on the Warhammer.

Just my opinions!

• 1 month later...

I've got Needle, the War Hammer, the dragon glass dagger, and I've got a few other items preordered.

Anyway, my experience with the website has been extremely positive! The replicas are beautiful and in my opinion, a great keepsake for any ASOIAF fan. :) I love that they're offering show versions of the weapons now as well.

I 'm sure that if you bought something with the intention of reselling it at a later date, you wouldn't have a problem finding someone who'd very happily take them off your hands.

Damascus Ice sold for 2400, and a bunch of Damascus Longclaws are going for 2400-2600. Stainless steel Ice's have been going from 900-1400.

It basically completely depends on the item you buy. Longclaw is reselling so much higher than any of their other items because it appeared on the CBS hit sitcom The Big Bang Theory and is now hanging on the wall of the set. So you can consider longlcaw the outlier of the group. However the special editions of the swords will seemingly double your money no matter what you buy. They have only released the Damascus longclaw and ice. Damascus is their form of special edition and they only made 100 damascus longclaws and 250 damascus Ice.

Anything on their site that is currently up either is not limited (The new Ice) or is limited to 2500 like Robb sword or Needle. These pieces will MAYBE double your money when they sell out. However the newer items could take up to three years to sell out. Needle is the only one nearing a sell out. The real money to be made will be upon the release of the Damascus editions of the new ice and longclaw. They will be limited to 300 pieces each and will run $700. Upon sell out which should be relatively quick (under a year), the price should double for those and you may be able to make about $1000

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Needle, the War Hammer, the dragon glass dagger, and I've got a few other items preordered.

Anyway, my experience with the website has been extremely positive! The replicas are beautiful and in my opinion, a great keepsake for any ASOIAF fan. :) I love that they're offering show versions of the weapons now as well.

I 'm sure that if you bought something with the intention of reselling it at a later date, you wouldn't have a problem finding someone who'd very happily take them off your hands.

Needle, War Hammer AND a dragon glass dagger? wow! :o :bowdown: Kudos!

You'll be able to open your own armory soon enough :fencing:

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest selling them sooner rather than later. The value is only going to go up as long as the show remains on the air. Yes, they are limited edition collectors items, but once the popularity begins to return to pre-show levels, the items are going to plummet in value.

I went through the collector phase with various other shows and movies (Highlander, LotR, etc.) and it always ends up the same.

How do you like the quality of the War Hammer? It's the one I'm really interested in.

And the Hound helm, but I don't like that it's fiberglass. :/

In the long term I'd say no they are a bad investment (as in handing it down to the next generation). Short term if you time your buy and sell right it looks like you can make some good profit.

GRRM announced recently on his Not A Blog that Needle was now OP from Valyrian Steel; I hadn't been paying close enough attention and let this detail slip right past me. I quickly went to Amazon and found they still had three Needles in stock; I ordered immediately, and I expect my copy to arrive in several days--a very close call. I can now add Needle to my stainess steel Longclaw and stainless steel Ice. Time to get ahead of the curve and get their Bartheon Warhammer and Dragonglass dagger set before they get close to going OP, too. But I tell you all this new rapid-fire Valyrian product is now gringing the bones of this longtime GRRM collector (I have hardcover 1st/1sts of *all* his books, not just his Ice and Fire series). I'm being tempted by Valyrian's licensed HBO series versions, but it's becoming $$$ impossible to keep up with it all, not at this pace, let along all the other Ice and Fire stuff out there now, too; I'm already selective in my GRRM product collecting, but my range must continue to narrow, something I'm not at all happy about; hard decisions ahead--always the curse of being a Collector.

I really don't think that after the show has been and gone the prices will drop on the limited edition swords. People and been mega fans of the story since 1996, and Valyrian sold out of damascus swords before the show even arrived. Therefore they will always be sort after in future, especially the limited edition items.

I ordered my Damascus Longclaw at the start and had to wait 9-10 mont for it to arrive lol. When it did i was happy enough to find that it was #18. If i could sell it now for a good price i would but as someone above has already noted, nobody's selling them so i have no idea how much they would go for.

• 1 year later...

Well, the winners are the ones who said both book and show Damascus Steel swords would go up in value. LongClaw Show is going for no less than $2000 US. I got the very last Ice Show and its value doubled instantly.

Hey man, if there's a way you could message me on this site or if the admins would let me give you my email address, I'd love to talk about your Damascus LongClaw if you're willing. I have Ice and need the Damascus version.

I really don't think that after the show has been and gone the prices will drop on the limited edition swords. People and been mega fans of the story since 1996, and Valyrian sold out of damascus swords before the show even arrived. Therefore they will always be sort after in future, especially the limited edition items.

I ordered my Damascus Longclaw at the start and had to wait 9-10 mont for it to arrive lol. When it did i was happy enough to find that it was #18. If i could sell it now for a good price i would but as someone above has already noted, nobody's selling them so i have no idea how much they would go for.

Investment potential is always tricky. Short-term / long term is the biggest decision. Whether ASoIaF will remain as rabidly popular after the last season airs is unknown. Do many people pay much attention to Superman collectibles recently? But the Valyrian Steel swords are a class apart from the usual plastic crap put out by whatever toy company. I would not purchase them strictly as an investment because the future market is so unpredictable. You'd do better in stocks and bonds... but those are not nearly as much fun! It's all about the fun... seriously. If you want to hold the sword in your hand and immerse yourself in the world of Westeros... then by all means... do it! That immersive experience or SOD "Suspension of Disbelief" is a powerful and ecstatic feeling. And if you can do it while making a little money (or at least not losing any) then that makes it even better. Just as we did here at Shire Post Mint, Valyrian Steel licensed with George R.R. Martin long before HBO picked up the series and catapulted it from cult fandom to pop culture status. I encourage you to support those who have been a part of this phenomenon for a long time, as an investment in social capital entirely apart from the potential for monetary profit.

Archived