Val the Wildling Princess - casting

gande51

Do we know for sure that the character's even going to be included? It could just easily be one of those B-plots that gets cut out from the adaptation. Narratively, it would have made more sense to introduce her already, rather than suddenly springing her (and yet another plotline) on the TV viewrs all of a sudden.

Do we know for sure that the character's even going to be included? It could just easily be one of those B-plots that gets cut out from the adaptation. Narratively, it would have made more sense to introduce her already, rather than suddenly springing her (and yet another plotline) on the TV viewrs all of a sudden.

Do you know for sure that the character is going to be cut? Nobody knows either way, and there's no harm in speculating. She has, if I recall correctly, only one or two lines up to the point the Wall storyline is at in the show. If they plan on casting her, it wouldn't have made sense for season 4 just based on the fact that they're already juggling more characters than they seem capable of dealing with both in terms of narrative and budget. Even if she is more important going forward and they need a long-term commitment from an actress, there's no point in casting somebody to say a sentence or two in season 4 when they can just put it off a season after killing a couple characters off.

Do you know for sure that the character is going to be cut? Nobody knows either way, and there's no harm in speculating. She has, if I recall correctly, only one or two lines up to the point the Wall storyline is at in the show. If they plan on casting her, it wouldn't have made sense for season 4 just based on the fact that they're already juggling more characters than they seem capable of dealing with both in terms of narrative and budget. Even if she is more important going forward and they need a long-term commitment from an actress, there's no point in casting somebody to say a sentence or two in season 4 when they can just put it off a season after killing a couple characters off.

I didn't say there was any harm in speculating, I only asked if she's been confirmed.

And do you honestly think that the show is going to be juggling fewer characters in S5? The bloat's only going to get worse with the Iron Born and the Dornish thrown into the mix.

I didn't say there was any harm in speculating, I only asked if she's been confirmed.

And do you honestly think that the show is going to be juggling fewer characters in S5? The bloat's only going to get worse with the Iron Born and the Dornish thrown into the mix.

I didn't say there would be fewer characters, my implication was merely that there is no point in adding a character that would have so few lines in season 4. Season 5's cast is an different matter entirely. I'm simply saying that her not being cast for season 4 does not necessarily directly relate to any potential for her being (or not being) cast in season 5.

I could still see Val popping up in season five, having been with Dalla elsewhere in the camp during the invasion (or some other story, if they intend to merge them, or go somewhere else with it).

Unlike Bloodraven and the COTF, it wasn't necessary to cast Val this season, as she can still easily show up next season having been part of the enormous wildling camp that was defeated and captured.

It is possible they cut her, but I doubt Tormund is much of an indication. The only part of Val's role Tormund can really cover is the part of Val being sent to bring terms to Tormund. Whether they skip it altogether, or have Tormund bring terms to some other wildling, that doesn't really impact the majority of Val's role. Not that I think they couldn't possibly cut her, but I think the more important part of her role is being offered to Jon by Stannis with Winterfell, and the interest and friction she causes with Stannis and Selyse's men.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think she gets cut. With Tormund as a prisoner, I see no need for Val.

How about the theory that Jon will marry a White Walker queen to make another peace between humans and them? If that theory pans out Val is more then needed since she is probably the ice queen since her eyes turned blue.

Val, Dalla, and Mance's son are complete unknowns in the series if I remember correctly. They'll have a lot of development and screen time to devote to that storyline if they plan to play it out like it is in the books. Similar to some of the "untimely" deaths we've seen this season, maybe they aren't as important as we think they are. A lot of well versed book readers saw the Jojen Paste Theory literally blow up in their faces on sunday. D&D having the inside info gives them that freedom to kill someone early rather than waste time developing non essential characters. I'm really interested in whether they keep her/them or not. I was kinda getting in to the whole Night's King 2.0 stuff folks were throwing around

How about the theory that Jon will marry a White Walker queen to make another peace between humans and them? If that theory pans out Val is more then needed since she is probably the ice queen since her eyes turned blue.

Then I'd say that theory is false if they cut her.

Personally, I do think she is cut. Which destroys an entire boat load of theories about her.

Sorry, but I've read that theory several times and still think that it's complete BS.

I see clues that point to Jon possibly being the heir to the IT. I see clues that point to him being AAR or TPWWP. I also see clues that point to the fact that he could just be dead and will never come back.

I see absolutely nothing that points to him being the Night's King, and I see even less that points to Val being an Other. And I see nothing that shows the Others as 'misunderstood'.

The only way Val is staying in is if she has something to do which only she can do or if GRRM writes about her and Mel having a naked fight in the snow.

I really think Val's purpose in the books is entirely symbolic, she is ice to Mel's fire in Jon's POV. They are extremes, one will burn you because of passionate belief while the other will smother you with a pillow for your own good. Jon needs to find a way between these to extremes. The only thing Mel or Val can achieve in the story is really screwing things up because neither has a rounded view of the world.

Then I'd say that theory is false if they cut her.

Personally, I do think she is cut. Which destroys an entire boat load of theories about her.

True and only time will tell. I'm guessing if they do introduce her she will only be in 3-4 episodes tops next season and there's still more then enough time for them to cast her.

Sorry, but I've read that theory several times and still think that it's complete BS.

I see clues that point to Jon possibly being the heir to the IT. I see clues that point to him being AAR or TPWWP. I also see clues that point to the fact that he could just be dead and will never come back.

I see absolutely nothing that points to him being the Night's King, and I see even less that points to Val being an Other. And I see nothing that shows the Others as 'misunderstood'.

Did you see this thread by any chance?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112315-theory-on-the-others-not-being-evil-and-how-jon-will-ally-with-them/

True and only time will tell. I'm guessing if they do introduce her she will only be in 3-4 episodes tops next season and there's still more then enough time for them to cast her.

Did you see this thread by any chance?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112315-theory-on-the-others-not-being-evil-and-how-jon-will-ally-with-them/

Yes, I've gone through several threads. None of the 'evidence' provided counts as evidence to me. There are no parallels in Jon's story to the Night's King's story, and we've probably already:

seen the Night's King in the show.

I just don't see it.

I've got to say, I think they should skip Val & the whole baby swap bit from the wall storyline for season5. After watching the finale I was most excited for the new dynamic of the Dragonstone & Wall cast coming together so don't think we need to complicate it w/ new cast that I don't see going much of anywhere in the book. If they did cast Val, ideally it would be Charlize Theron or Alyssa Sutherland, the actress whom plays Aslaug (Ragnars 2nd wife) on Vikings.

I've got to say, I think they should skip Val & the whole baby swap bit from the wall storyline for season5. After watching the finale I was most excited for the new dynamic of the Dragonstone & Wall cast coming together so don't think we need to complicate it w/ new cast that I don't see going much of anywhere in the book. If they did cast Val, ideally it would be Charlize Theron or Alyssa Sutherland, the actress whom plays Aslaug (Ragnars 2nd wife) on Vikings.

I agree. The Stannis team/NW dynamic is going to be much more interesting. I'm kinda meh about her in the books. She doesn't feel like a particularly fleshed out character, more like a nerd fantasy (uber sexy, kickass, independent, tough princess). If she's on the show I'd vote for Tabrett Bethell.

Alyssa Sutherland, the actress whom plays Aslaug (Ragnars 2nd wife) on Vikings.

Katheryn Winnick (the amazingly gorgeously beautiful Lagertha) fits more my mental image of Val.

Archived