Sam and The Others

Lord Flashheart

I found the end of Season 2 of GOT to be a little puzzling at first. Sam is surrounded by White Walkers and Wights and none of them attack him. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that Sam swearing his oath in front of the Old God's has afforded him some kind of protection? any thoughts or other theories I would like to know what other people thought.

The theory I heard was that Sam had a dragonglass dagger on him & the WW's could sense it & steered clear. Not sure if I buy it, but it's the show so...

IDK, that seems like it would be really hard to explain on screen. I just assumed he was one lone crow that was so afraid the ww knew he wouldn't pose a threat. Maybe the ww thinks he needs every wight since there are 200 crows on the fist with fire arrows?

The way I see it, the White Rectum-Faced Freezer Uruk didn't bother attacking him because he didn't pose a threat, and he was sure the Wights would just waltz over him, which is exactly what would happen if he didn't move. Why go out of your way to attack him if your army is already well on its way to kill him? No general would do that.

Another possibility is that he was afraid of Sam's size. Nothing North of the wall has seen anything that fat before.

I found the end of Season 2 of GOT to be a little puzzling at first. Sam is surrounded by White Walkers and Wights and none of them attack him. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that Sam swearing his oath in front of the Old God's has afforded him some kind of protection? any thoughts or other theories I would like to know what other people thought.

The oath offers no protection whatsoever, it only has a role under the laws of the human society, nothing supernatural in those words.

I think it was a pretty silly scene and whatever they do will look like a copout, but I guess the explantion Ser Lepus offers makes most sense.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this scene eschewed the canon out of necessity. a) It ends the season out with a bang, similar to the first season. The WW are the show's (and the book's) great mystery. This severely hangs over the cliff so the last scene resonates. (kinda obvi statement) B) It couldn't have been because of his vow to the Old God's, because Othor as a Wight attacked Jon, who had long been loyal to the Old Gods, and is a warg to boot,

finally, most importantly, c) it sets up a necessary transition. HBO likely doesn't want to fund the Battle at the Fist of the First Men, and will just have Sam wandering up as the NW begins to rout. This will speed the story along and the battle isn't really necessary to the story, just a little POV from Jeor Mormont's eventual mutineers, and even that is unnecessary because the mutiny could just foment at Craster's.

• 2 weeks later...

The White Walker left Will alive in the prologue to season 1 when they obviously coulda/shoulda/woulda killed him.

So perhaps they like to leave a survivor to send a message.

that's an interesting point I never thought about. But it was puzzling and kind of pissed me off that a whole army of undead warriors would just pass up an easy kill, especially when a random wight is attacking him in the first episode of S3 and it's never explained how he escaped, ya know, that whole rest of the army marching around him. It just doesn't make any sense. Why would the whole army march past him, he somehow get away, and then a random loner wight try and kill him?

• 2 weeks later...

The White Walker left Will alive in the prologue to season 1 when they obviously coulda/shoulda/woulda killed him.

So perhaps they like to leave a survivor to send a message.

That's again a change from the books. In the books Will was hiding in a tree and the WW never even knew he was there. They killed Ser Waymar, who turned into a wight, and killed Will, when he came down from the tree. In the books it was Gared who survived. He stayed with the horses, and left at some point when he got to know the situation. The WW never knew of Gared either.

That's again a change from the books. In the books Will was hiding in a tree and the WW never even knew he was there. They killed Ser Waymar, who turned into a wight, and killed Will, when he came down from the tree. In the books it was Gared who survived. He stayed with the horses, and left at some point when he got to know the situation. The WW never knew of Gared either.

Gared saw the White Walkers so it's more than certain that they noticed him too. Remember what the Wildlings said..they're everywhere, watching everything. And besides, Gared had a lot to walk alone until reaching the Wall, are you seriously considering that the WW never noticed him?

Archived