Always a Stark in Winterfell

This has probably been discussed.

Any thoughts on why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell?

I think there's something more to it than a simple saying/phrase.

Something like a pact/pledge/curse made in order to end the Long Winter. A Stark at WF holds winter at bay. No Stark at WF = Winter's Arrival.

This has probably been discussed.

Any thoughts on why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell?

I think there's something more to it than a simple saying/phrase.

Something like a pact/pledge/curse made in order to end the Long Winter. A Stark at WF holds winter at bay. No Stark at WF = Winter's Arrival.

This was discussed several times but since it is one of my favorite topics I will gladly discuss it again. My theory on this comes from a poster from the heresy thread whose name I can't remember.

I believe that the both The Wall itself as well as the walls of Winterfell were warded with magic from the COTF to protect against the others. However the deal that was struck was that the magic was provided based on there always being a Stark in Winterfell.

I believe the stronger than expected winds and snow storms that take place while the Boltons/Freys are ruling Winterfell are a backlash from the Stark/Winterfell pact being broken.

It is no coincidence that now there is not a Stark in Winterfell the wall is under threat.

I believe the stronger than expected winds and snow storms that take place while the Boltons/Freys are ruling Winterfell are a backlash from the Stark/Winterfell pact being broken.

Not only is there no Stark in Winterfell, there is a fake Stark who has been announced as genuine in front of the Heart Tree (ie. in sight of the Old Gods).

To the OP, come on over to the Heresy channel, where this is one of the many topics that gets discussed and you may learn much and more.

• 2 months later...

I too have also wondered why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell and I think that the reason is that it appears that not only is there always a Stark present in Winterfell, but there is also seemingly always a Stark in the Night's Watch. We know this because:

- Old Nan says that the Night's King was a Stark

- Benjen Stark

Also, more tenuously:

- Bran the Builder (founder of House Stark) built the Wall

- Ned did not even try to dissuade Jon Snow (who Ned clearly considered to be a Stark) from joining the Night's Watch

Winterfell is close to the Wall. Is it possible that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell so that he can replace the one on the Wall should he die? Without a Stark on the Wall the North will fall?

• 2 weeks later...

Also, there is no Winterfell anymore.

the stone is strong bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the kings of winter sit their iron thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me he thought. I'm not dead either.

as the stark family has been either scattered, or killed off throughout the series, winter and the white walkers have both grown stronger. I feel until a stark is returned to their rightful seat, things will only get worst. Having a stark in winterfell surely has meaning and power tied in with it.

Archived