Always a Stark in Winterfell

Possible Spoiler

Pg. 65- learn that ned had fathered a child on some girl chance met on campaign. Ned would not speak of the mother, not so much a word. "Never ask me about Jon" he said cold as ice. Who ever jon's mother had been, Ned must of loved her fiercely because nothing Catelyn said would persuade him to send the boy away.

Pg. 116- "You avenged Lyanna at the trident" ned said. Promise me, Ned, Lyanna had whispered.

Robert Barrathion had arranged marriage with Lyanna- ned starks sister.

pg. 424, 425- Lyanna in her bed of blood. What does that mean? He could hear Lyanna screaming. "eddard" she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death. "Lord Eddard," Lyanna screamed. "I promise" he whispered. "Lya, I promise..." I think...what did he promise his sister?

pg. 427

Ned had pulled the tower down. It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of joy, but for Ned it was a bitter memory. There had been seven against three, yet only two had lived to ride away; eddard stark himself and the little crannogman, Howland Reed. He is the only living witness.

Pg. 430

"....rhaegar won, damn him. I killed him, Ned. He has Lyanna nw, and I have her." The king drained his cup.

Pg. 630

"I failed you robert. Ned thought. He could not say the words. "I lied to you, hid the truth. i let them kill you.

Pg. 631-

Prince Rhaegar Targaryen urged his horse past his own wife, the Dornish Princes Elia Martell, to la y the queen of beauty's laurel in Lyanna's lap. He could see it still: a crown of winter roses, blue as frost.

"promise me, Ned. His sister had whipered from her bed of blood. She had loved the scent of winter roses.

"God save me, " Ned wept. "I am going mad."

pg. 710

He brother Rhaegar had died for the woman he loved.

All these clues given by Ed Stark means he was keeping a secret. I believe Lyanna died having a baby. She made Eddard swear to never tell anyone. She new they would try to kill the baby because the father was Rhaegar Targaryen. They were in Love. The baby was Jon Snow and Eddard by all accounts was was too honorable to have an affair but said he did in order to protect the baby who Robert Barrathion would of surely killed. There you go...John Snow is the true heir to be the true king. That is how it ends! That is the twist in the end.

"The Wall will stand as long as the Night's Watch remains true and there is a Stark in Winterfell." Necessary conditions for the Wall to remain standing. Here comes Puddles.

Possible Spoiler

Pg. 65- learn that ned had fathered a child on some girl chance met on campaign. Ned would not speak of the mother, not so much a word. "Never ask me about Jon" he said cold as ice. Who ever jon's mother had been, Ned must of loved her fiercely because nothing Catelyn said would persuade him to send the boy away.

Pg. 116- "You avenged Lyanna at the trident" ned said. Promise me, Ned, Lyanna had whispered.

Robert Barrathion had arranged marriage with Lyanna- ned starks sister.

pg. 424, 425- Lyanna in her bed of blood. What does that mean? He could hear Lyanna screaming. "eddard" she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death. "Lord Eddard," Lyanna screamed. "I promise" he whispered. "Lya, I promise..." I think...what did he promise his sister?

pg. 427

Ned had pulled the tower down. It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of joy, but for Ned it was a bitter memory. There had been seven against three, yet only two had lived to ride away; eddard stark himself and the little crannogman, Howland Reed. He is the only living witness.

Pg. 430

"....rhaegar won, damn him. I killed him, Ned. He has Lyanna nw, and I have her." The king drained his cup.

Pg. 630

"I failed you robert. Ned thought. He could not say the words. "I lied to you, hid the truth. i let them kill you.

Pg. 631-

Prince Rhaegar Targaryen urged his horse past his own wife, the Dornish Princes Elia Martell, to la y the queen of beauty's laurel in Lyanna's lap. He could see it still: a crown of winter roses, blue as frost.

"promise me, Ned. His sister had whipered from her bed of blood. She had loved the scent of winter roses.

"God save me, " Ned wept. "I am going mad."

pg. 710

He brother Rhaegar had died for the woman he loved.

All these clues given by Ed Stark means he was keeping a secret. I believe Lyanna died having a baby. She made Eddard swear to never tell anyone. She new they would try to kill the baby because the father was Rhaegar Targaryen. They were in Love. The baby was Jon Snow and Eddard by all accounts was was too honorable to have an affair but said he did in order to protect the baby who Robert Barrathion would of surely killed. There you go...John Snow is the true heir to be the true king. That is how it ends! That is the twist in the end.

Is this being put forth as an original idea? Mind blowing! Not sure if anybody had ever considered such a possibility. I mean if they had, we may be on the 52nd version of such a thread.

Is this being put forth as an original idea? Mind blowing! Not sure if anybody had ever considered such a possibility. I mean if they had, we may be on the 52nd version of such a thread.

I want to laugh because I thought of saying the same thing. Then I remembered that when I first finished the book I excitedly jumped on the forum thinking I'd cracked the Jon snow's parent's case!

...only to realize I'd just figured out Blue's clues.

Welcome to the forums, SwansonJohnson. Keep digging. There are even more interesting stories and theories!

This is my crack-pot therory, The Three-Eyed-Crow brought Bran beyond the wall so that he could be in the heart-tree to make sure that there was a Stark in Winterfell. This makes sense to me because he tells Bran in his dream he had to live because Winter was Coming. I'm new to these boards and sure I haven't read anywhere this therory, but Bran the Builder had a power that no one remembers, even the Starks, why couldn't the Others have had their own Dragon. I think Jon said once (I'm not sure which chapter and I'm too lazy to look right now) that the Tunnel at Castle Black was curving like a snake and had the shape of giant ribs and that made me think of the Ribs of Nagga on Old Wyk, the first Sea Dragon, and the Heart of Fire story of the Grey King of the Iron Islands and in my mind I thought of Heart of Winter and the Ice Dragon. I don't know how these things connect but maybe the Starks can hatch a baby Ice Dragon or maybe they the Others did 8,000 years ago and the Pre-NW killed them and put them in the Wall and only the Starks or the Old Kings know how to keep them in the Wall.

Can anyone else help me make sense of this?

Well, I did notice that in the last chapter of ACoK there were no more Starks in Winterfell and that in the first chapter of ASoS the Others attacked the Night's Watch at the Fist of the First Men. So yes, I believe there must always be a Stark in Winterfell, or the Others will attack the realms of men. This is my theory.

This is my crack-pot therory, The Three-Eyed-Crow brought Bran beyond the wall so that he could be in the heart-tree to make sure that there was a Stark in Winterfell. This makes sense to me because he tells Bran in his dream he had to live because Winter was Coming. I'm new to these boards and sure I haven't read anywhere this therory, but Bran the Builder had a power that no one remembers, even the Starks, why couldn't the Others have had their own Dragon. I think Jon said once (I'm not sure which chapter and I'm too lazy to look right now) that the Tunnel at Castle Black was curving like a snake and had the shape of giant ribs and that made me think of the Ribs of Nagga on Old Wyk, the first Sea Dragon, and the Heart of Fire story of the Grey King of the Iron Islands and in my mind I thought of Heart of Winter and the Ice Dragon. I don't know how these things connect but maybe the Starks can hatch a baby Ice Dragon or maybe they the Others did 8,000 years ago and the Pre-NW killed them and put them in the Wall and only the Starks or the Old Kings know how to keep them in the Wall.

Can anyone else help me make sense of this?

Oooh, this does sound interesting. Also, it may be linked to "waking dragons out of stones" thanks to king's blood, no? I mean, Jon has been stabbed, Jon's blood is Targ (as our very original friend above has suggested :) ) and the dragon might be awoken (is awoken even a word)? Possibly?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any credence to the notion that Winterfell was built on the location where the Battle for the Dawn was one? Thus being the location that (the armies of) winter fell?

Or just a bad pun of a theory.

Actually a rather good guess. Maybe the kings in the crypts are holding something in check.

I hope it's a crackpot theory of mine, but the moment that Bran and Rickon left Winterfell (only to come back to hide) a whole slew of evil things occurred.

It was as if a damn broke and the pent up river released its badness on the world.

I hope that's not the deeper meaning as to why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.

I hope it's a crackpot theory of mine, but the moment that Bran and Rickon left Winterfell (only to come back to hide) a whole slew of evil things occurred.

It was as if a damn broke and the pent up river released its badness on the world.

I hope that's not the deeper meaning as to why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.

I tend to believe there is meaning behind most of the mottos and sayings of the older houses. I wish we knew what it meant precisely.

Any credence to the notion that Winterfell was built on the location where the Battle for the Dawn was one? Thus being the location that (the armies of) winter fell?

Or just a bad pun of a theory.

This seems like a good possibility. Starfell in Dorne is linked to a meteorite and King's Landing aquired it's name from Aegon's landing in Westeros.

"The Wall will stand as long as the Night's Watch remains true and there is a Stark in Winterfell." Necessary conditions for the Wall to remain standing. Here comes Puddles.

Since it appears there is no Stark in Winterfell (minus some Rickon or Benjen theories) and the NW is apparently crumbling with every Lord Commander they kill (Jon and The Old Bear) it seems like A setting up of events for the wall to fall.

But I just don't think it is coming down. I do think some serious damage could be done to it. Maybe a serious sacrifice is the only thing that will save it, and that sacrifice has to do with the Starks and Winterfell.

Jon IS important. Ghost IS important. Do they live or do they die?

How it will all roll out is in the twisted, clever mind of GRRM!

Who was the Stark at Winterfell when Ned was supposedly making Bastards and such, Benjen? Cat? I just want Ted to check

I believe it was Benjen. I feel like I read that he returned from the NW for a while to hold winterfell. Although, I can't find the reference. But perhaps it was Robb? This is a good question.

But if they left... then came back they would still be in Winterfell. Would this make sense? Or is it that public opinion was that there "isnt' a Stark in Winterfell"?

Maybe this has more to do with the perceived strength of the northern houses; in that Winterfell is a scion for mankind's unity against...the forces of evil? Ugh, i hate the way that sounds.

Archived