Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Tao of Bob

Always a Stark in Winterfell

This has probably been discussed.

Any thoughts on why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell?

I think there's something more to it than a simple saying/phrase.

Something like a pact/pledge/curse made in order to end the Long Winter. A Stark at WF holds winter at bay. No Stark at WF = Winter's Arrival.

I don't think there's any sort of magical pact or law bound pledge related to it, I think that when characters say that they are just referring to the fact that Starks are and always have been rulers of the North, and that generally because of their honour and leadership skills they are the best at holding the surrounding lordships as vassals. Also I think they are referring to a continuation of lineage i.e. make sure at least one Stark remains to carry on the family name.

It could just be something from House Stark's long history. Perhaps they at some point were about to lose Winterfell because there weren't a Stark there to defend it.

I believe it has to do with some magic and the longer there isn't a stark in winter fell the harsher the winter is going to be.

Its just becouse they are the rulers, the guides, the only ones capable to rule the north.

If you take the leader from the people, then the society itself wont work rigth.

Without a stark in winterfell the north tumbles into chaos.... Hence there must allways be a stark in wf.

Or its connected to the crypts.

As an achor for the magic.

It is no coincidence that now there is not a Stark in Winterfell the wall is under threat.

This has probably been discussed.

Any thoughts on why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell?

I think there's something more to it than a simple saying/phrase.

Something like a pact/pledge/curse made in order to end the Long Winter. A Stark at WF holds winter at bay. No Stark at WF = Winter's Arrival.

This was discussed several times but since it is one of my favorite topics I will gladly discuss it again. My theory on this comes from a poster from the heresy thread whose name I can't remember.

I believe that the both The Wall itself as well as the walls of Winterfell were warded with magic from the COTF to protect against the others. However the deal that was struck was that the magic was provided based on there always being a Stark in Winterfell.

I believe the stronger than expected winds and snow storms that take place while the Boltons/Freys are ruling Winterfell are a backlash from the Stark/Winterfell pact being broken.

It is no coincidence that now there is not a Stark in Winterfell the wall is under threat.

I believe the stronger than expected winds and snow storms that take place while the Boltons/Freys are ruling Winterfell are a backlash from the Stark/Winterfell pact being broken.

Not only is there no Stark in Winterfell, there is a fake Stark who has been announced as genuine in front of the Heart Tree (ie. in sight of the Old Gods).

To the OP, come on over to the Heresy channel, where this is one of the many topics that gets discussed and you may learn much and more.

I too have also wondered why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell and I think that the reason is that it appears that not only is there always a Stark present in Winterfell, but there is also seemingly always a Stark in the Night's Watch. We know this because:

- Old Nan says that the Night's King was a Stark

- Benjen Stark

Also, more tenuously:

- Bran the Builder (founder of House Stark) built the Wall

- Ned did not even try to dissuade Jon Snow (who Ned clearly considered to be a Stark) from joining the Night's Watch

Winterfell is close to the Wall. Is it possible that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell so that he can replace the one on the Wall should he die? Without a Stark on the Wall the North will fall?

Not only is there no Stark in Winterfell, there is a fake Stark who has been announced as genuine in front of the Heart Tree (ie. in sight of the Old Gods).

Also, there is no Winterfell anymore.

Winterfell stands there burnt and conquered but its walls and towers are there...and its old woods and trees blowing in the cold winter air.

IT will be restored. The question is by whom? I mean, which Stark will get it back and rebuild it?

My guess: Sansa or Jon if he is not dead just hurt.

:bowdown:

Also, there is no Winterfell anymore.

the stone is strong bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the kings of winter sit their iron thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me he thought. I'm not dead either.