Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leap

Jon Snow's mother?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I figured although someone has probably gone over this in detail already, that just asking is probably the quickest way to find out.

So, does anyone have any information about Jon Snow's mother? The only stuff I know is that Ned told Robert that her name was Wylla, and I can remember reading somewhere in one of the more recent books that Wylla was a wet nurse at the Dayne's castle. However, in the first book there were apparently rumours around the castle that Ashara Dayne was his mother.

Can anyone give me any more information or even theories as to who his mother is?

Why did I click that?! >.<

Thanks, anyway. I clicked the link and it is only a theory after all.That's kind of cool, I never thought of it myself though :o

Why did I click that?! >.<

Thanks, anyway. I clicked the link and it is only a theory after all.That's kind of cool, I never thought of it myself though :o

Though it technically is a theory at the moment, there is a substantial amount of evidence out there that R+L=J is the correct answer. Here is one example. Here is another. Those are two great places to get you started. Welcome to the forums! :)

[ spoiler ] text [ / spoiler ]

Minus the spaces. All of the tags work the same way. Url, bold, italics, etc.

ETA: Correction re: bold and italics. The codes for those, respectively, are as demonstrated above, but only the letters "b" and "i", rather than the entire words.

R+L=J is the generally accepted theory. However, what are we to make of what Lord Borrell told Davos: that a fisherman's daughter got Ned safely over the Bite at the beginning of Robert's Rebellion, that Ned left a bastard in her belly before he went to call his banners, and that the woman named the baby Jon after Lord Arryn, who had fostered Ned?

R+L=J is the generally accepted theory

But not by everyone, and there are other possibilities (with less evidence).

Some of us do not believe that R and L are his parents. I believe his dad is Ned but I have no idea who the mother is!

R+L=J is the generally accepted theory. However, what are we to make of what Lord Borrell told Davos: that a fisherman's daughter got Ned safely over the Bite at the beginning of Robert's Rebellion, that Ned left a bastard in her belly before he went to call his banners, and that the woman named the baby Jon after Lord Arryn, who had fostered Ned?

This is rumor and a red herring. Ned's encounter with the fisherman's daughter at the beginning of the Rebellion was months too soon since we know Jon was born around the time of the Sack of KL or possibly after. The Rebellion lasted over a year, so It's simply not credible.

Eta-Welcome to the forums OP! I believe this thread belongs in General though.

Jon Snow was born before the sack of kings landing. He was born before Rheagar departs for kings landing himself

No. GRRM has said specifically that Jon is 8-9 months older than Daenerys, who was born nine months after the sack. Therefore Jon's birth=within 1 month of the Sack, but not before. Rhaegar was most likely dead weeks before Jon was born,

Aerys deployed the white bull to fetch Rheagar to kings landing. THE LORD COMMANDER OF THE "KINGS GUARD" agrees to stay behind because he likes the mountainous view of Dorne? I think not. It is because the true kings heir (a boy) is born. End of story

Also, the vision on the house of the undying when Dany sees her brother talking to a woman about their new born son. He is talking to Lyanna. Clearly, before the sack of kings landing

Aerys deployed the white bull to fetch Rheagar to kings landing. THE LORD COMMANDER OF THE "KINGS GUARD" agrees to stay behind because he likes the mountainous view of Dorne? I think not. It is because the true kings heir (a boy) is born. End of story

I agree with what you're saying (the KG, not just the Lord Commander, but Arthur Dayne and Oswell Whent as well, stayed behind to guard Rhaegar's child when he left for KL & the Trident) but I'd urge you to visit the R+L=J thread to get a more in depth analysis of the presence of the KG at ToJ. This topic is frequently discussed there.

As far as when Jon was born please see this:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Chronology

Eta- I believe it is commonly accepted that the woman in the HotU vision is Elia of Dorne and the child Aegon. Again, check out R+L=J threads.

Also, I am aware of the "Martin e-mail". We have to stop using Martin himself as a credible source as he is constantly changing his mind on things. He also says "not more than a year" and closer to 8-9 months. How long do you think it took the prince to get back to kings landing? A year? Can we agree that 10 months older isn't a stretch

Also the two other kings guard (Ser Aurthur Dayne being one) were already with Rheagar and were already staying. Go figure?

Look Rheagar was going to over throw his father as evident by Jaime's recollection.

He was going to the trident to talk sense to his cousin bit fight him. How else does the Usurper and crown prince end up facing off in the river on horseback?

Also, I am aware of the "Martin e-mail". We have to stop using Martin himself as a credible source as he is constantly changing his mind on things. He also says "not more than a year" and closer to 8-9 months. How long do you think it took the prince to get back to kings landing? A year? Can we agree that 10 months older isn't a stretch

There is a big problem with any proposed timeline that has Rhaegar present for Jon's birth exactly because of the time it would take to travel first from ToJ to KL, then on to the Trident with an army. This would be measured in weeks, if not months. Further, the Sack (our baseline for Jon's birth) would have occurred some time after the Battle of the Trident, as you must allow Ned time to travel back to KL from the Trident with an army. Even if we allowed 10 months prior to Dany's birth Rhaegar would have been gone from the ToJ at that point.

Eta- Since we clearly agree that R+L=J, and this particular thread was a question about only half of that equation and is in the wrong sub forum anyway, I'm going to suggest moving this discussion over there.

One problem with Jon being born before Rhaegar left is, what killed Lyanna? Would an infection have taken a couple of months to kill her?