Aspect Emperor

Wik

Just a random quick question, I don't have my book on hand. Why does the slog decide to go into the old abandoned Nomen castle/strong hold/capital whatever it is lol. I was talking about this series and I just for the life of me can't recall why they didn't just bypass it???

It's like a Moria tribute, and the pass over the mountain is a no-go, but they are pressed for time because they believe that they need to move in the wake of the Great Ordeal in order to survive the North

Yes, thanks for the quick reply!

As silly as it sounds, as I read it the first time, I never made the connection to the Moria analogy but as I was telling someone about it it dawned on me that it may have been something along those lines.

Here’s my metafictional interpretation of Second Apocalypse.

The first trilogy takes its inspiration from several set pieces in Real history, the First Crusade.

The second trilogy takes its inspiration from several set pieces in Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. We’ve seen Moria, Fangorn, Smaug, Gollum, and possibly more which I’m forgetting right now. The third book quite possibly will include deliberate homages to either of the sieges in Tolkien’s books.

Just a random quick question, I don't have my book on hand. Why does the slog decide to go into the old abandoned Nomen castle/strong hold/capital whatever it is lol. I was talking about this series and I just for the life of me can't recall why they didn't just bypass it???

They had to move fast and there's no way to bypass it other then waiting for the snow in the pass to melt, which will take too long.

Lol, HE, do you might if I quote you for the Bakker and Tolkien thread on SA?

Wik - great name, btw, - to be specific:

He saw Kosoter standing with Cleric looming at his side. Both were watching Kiampas haggle with a Thunyeri almost as tall as Oxwora, though far older and nowhere as thick-limbed.

. . .

"A spring blizzard in the mountains," he said. "We're stuck here for at least two weeks, probably more."

"What are you saying?" Achamian looked to the glaring Captain.

Kiampas was only too happy to respond. "That your glorious expedition has come to an end, Wizard. We can wait or we can hump round the Osthwai's Southern spur. Either way we've not hope of reaching Sauglish by summer's end."

And now that I've chimed in with my expected witty reparte... I've read at least three full threads on TJE/WLW and the current half completed thread on TUC and I am stunningly embarrassed to admit that I did not catch the Tolkein allusions.

:leaving:

By the way, which thread is that? (It was wrong to split that forum into so many subforums. It’s impossible to navigate.)

Ta-dah!

As far as I can see, that forum is lacking a Bakker and women thread...

Also, I'm left wondering what the go-to thread derailer is in a Bakker forum.

Bakker and Tolkien

I apologize HE. There is a stickied Suggestion to thread in News/Announcements and I'd welcome any kind of feedback by way of threads or PM here or there. I only used Three-Seas & Westeros as my models, as they are the only two forums I've ever really participated in.

I know another mistake was allowing Misc. Chatter to become rampant with TUC speculation.

LOL! polishgenius it is not. Again, this damn navigation :(.

Bakker, Feminism, and Slavery. Quite the different manifestation.

The go-to thread derailer is EAMD - then we try and move past our mutual fallibilites and continue participating in discussion as best as possible.

HE, polish, anyone, PLEASE! Lol, I would welcome feedback on that other forum to generate more discussion between the 200+ members :).

EDIT: Now that I reread the B&T thread, I wonder where my speculation with Camlost is about the Achamian/Nonmen/Dagliash = Gandalf/Rohirin/Helm's Deep trifecta in TUC.

I'm rereading PON on ebook now and taking full advantage of note-taking. I'm sure any revelation I have will pale before the group, but is it best (Madness) to start my own thread there for that? I only ask because somebody mentioned to me that there were already reread threads there.

By the way, which thread is that? (It was wrong to split that forum into so many subforums. It’s impossible to navigate.)

I actually think the only issue is moving Misc Chatter threads to appropriate locations.

Is Misc supposed to be about the Bakker worlds? Or a General Chatter? As I think I may have put the Torment Kickstarter announcement in the wrong place...

NVM. Not supposed to go on about other sites here. Apologies!

I'm rereading PON on ebook now and taking full advantage of note-taking. I'm sure any revelation I have will pale before the group, but is it best (Madness) to start my own thread there for that? I only ask because somebody mentioned to me that there were already reread threads there.

the note taking on ebook is gold for these books.

Awesome replies and thanks a ton guys!

I admit, I did not catch the LOTR allusions either. I have never read the series, only seen the movies, so I might have never connected the dots. This series has me seriously intrigued...but I know there are other threads here to post more commentary about the overall series, rather than here.

All of your help is greatly appreciated!

lol, but seriously, for all of the Tolkien connections, is there anything like a ring?

It's almost like the No-God itself is the ring and that Shae et al are Sauron.

I dunno about a ring, but the Heron Spear is the powerful artefact needed to bring down the big bad. Noteworthy too that Seswatha never carries or uses it himself- a parallel to Gandalf refusing the One Ring?

Archived