Historical References in the show...

Igziabeher

I think season 1 does a great job with referencing major/minor historical events in the history of westeros, and season 2 had some but not as many. I'm hoping season 3 has more historical references, although I know a lot of them slip past the viewer, they help add to the rich history of the westerosi world.

In season 1 we had:

- Viserys telling Doreah the names of all the dragons.

- Ned and Bob talking about the Lyanna and Rhaegar situation/the rebellion/Wylla/ etc.

-Jorry and Jaime talking about the siege on Pyke and Thoros of Myr's flaming sword

-Jaime, Barriston and Robert discussing their first kills.

-Tyrion and Theon talking about Theon's uncles setting the Lannister's fleet on fire and his brothers getting killed for it.,

season 2 didn't have as much historical content, but the ones mentioned were fairly important:

-Stannis and Davos discussing the siege on Storm's End and Davos' onion smuggling.

-Arya and Tywin talking about Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters.

Anyways, I always enjoy seeing these tidbits added to the show as it makes for a richer history and am hoping season 3 has more historical hindsight like season 1 did. I'm assuming the additions of a couple of the new characters will give us viewers more of an understanding of how things got to where they are "today" in GoT.

Archived