Who is Quaithe ?

Golden Lady

Quaithe is seen by multiple people the first time she meets Dany, But the second and third time she speaks to Dany in places that would seem Impossible for her to be and then she disappears. So to me she is either speaking to her through a glass candle the 2nd and 3rd time. Or Dany is a little crazy town banana pants. But hey who dosen't have the odd banana in his or her pants.

ButcherCrow, I don't get the impression she is a red priest, simply because every one of those we have met tends to spout off lines related to R'hollor theology every other sentence, and all but Thoros (who is Friar Tuck) seem to engage in frequent evangelism.

If Quaithe was a R'hollorite, we would have heard her talking some Lord of Light jivetalk voodoo. We haven't.

Not sure if I entirely buy that, but then I don't actually buy my own theory much either so... :dunno:

After reading a bit, I'm wondering about Sarella Sand as a possible contender for Quaithe. I can see her being Alleras the 'Sphinx' (Aemon says something about the Sphinx being a riddle). If she is Alleras, she's awfully good at concealing her identity. And she has access an obsidian candle. Does 'she' study directly under Marwyn the Mage (the one who studied shadowbinding)? I'll have to study the matter more! :eek:

After reading a bit, I'm wondering about Sarella Sand as a possible contender for Quaithe. I can see her being Alleras the 'Sphinx' (Aemon says something about the Sphinx being a riddle). If she is Alleras, she's awfully good at concealing her identity. And she has access an obsidian candle. Does 'she' study directly under Marwyn the Mage (the one who studied shadowbinding)? I'll have to study the matter more! :eek:

If Quaithe was physically present in Qarth, that makes Sarella a highly unlikely candidate, she was well known to other Citadel novices, and it would be a very lengthy journey - hard to fit in the timeline.

Quaithe is communicating with Dany using glass candles, she tells Dany as much in Mereen.

I don't know who she may be in the wider ASOIAF universe, but I imagine she is doing for Dany what Bloodraven is doing for Bran. She's Dany's spiritual guide/Obi Wan Kenobi. Like Bloodraven's weirwood faces and ravens, Quaithe's glass candles allows her to see all over and communicate that information to Dany. I wouldn't be surprised if Quaithe is how Dany learns that Vic stole her dragons, or that Moqorro or Tyrion or Ser Jorah are looking for her.

everyone assumes that Quaithe is telling dany the truth with her predictions but I wonder if in the beginning she told Dany the truth to get dany to trust her but now she is mixing some not quite truths in to control Dany and make Dany question and never fully trust the people around her and that was the way that Dany's Father went mad not even trusting his own son. Quaithe is as dangerous as Mel and like Mel she is playing her own game for her own benefit not Dany's I wonder if she will be one of the 3 betrayers

Remember when Dany first met Quaithe, she touched Dany's arm and Dany felt a twinge/burn. I think this was some magical tapping device that allows Quaithe to continue being in Dany's presence even though she is not there physically.

I also came up with the Alleras=Quaithe theory. Her mother apparently owned ships and since she only had to be in Dany's presence the first time she met, she would have had time to travel back to Oldtown on her mother's ship while continuing to be in Danys presence the entire length of ASOS -ADWD.

The main issue is how did she know to be in Qarth to await Dany, which is a major flaw in the theory.

Does everyone notice how we are never told the color of her eyes even though they are mentioned at various times and they are the only part of her face that can be seen? Or that she speaks the Common Tongue of the Seven Kingdoms flawlessly?

The woman in the lacquered wooden mask said in the Common Tongue of the Seven Kingdoms, “I am Quaithe of the Shadow. We come seeking dragons.”

Pyat and Xaro had showered Dany with promises from the moment they first glimpsed her dragons, declaring themselves her loyal servants in all things, but from Quaithe she had gotten only the rare cryptic word. And it disturbed her that she had never seen the woman’s face.

“A fine trick,” announced Jhogo with admiration. “No trick,” a woman said in the Common Tongue. Dany had not noticed Quaithe in the crowd, yet there she stood, eyes wet and shiny behind the implacable red lacquer mask. “What mean you, my lady?”

“If you have some warning for me, speak plainly. What do you want of me, Quaithe?” Moonlight shone in the woman’s eyes. “To show you the way.”

“Quaithe?” Dany called. “Where are you, Quaithe?” Then she saw. Her mask is made of starlight. “Remember who you are, Daenerys,” the stars whispered in a woman’s voice. “The dragons know. Do you?”

Hmm. I definitely have to do another readthrough. I still can't get the idea out of my head though. One of Sarella's teachers is the one who met and (if the Wiki is correct), trained Mirri Maz Duur. I still can't get the Sand Sister connection out of my head. There are just so darned many of them, and not all are accounted for...more mysteries for me to figure out...

Does everyone notice how we are never told the color of her eyes even though they are mentioned at various times and they are the only part of her face that can be seen? Or that she speaks the Common Tongue of the Seven Kingdoms flawlessly?

I can see Ashara being the likely candidate for Quaithe due to the amount of time Ashara has been supposedly dead. She could have gone to Asshai to learn shadowbinding and went on from there.

I want do badly for her to be Sheira but I feel like if the Seastar pulls a Bloodraven OMG they are still alive on us that she fits with Mel much better...of course I'm debating one flimsy theory with no textual evidence or even clues against another one...maybe she is actually...wait for it...drumroll please...Quaithe! Her not having a twist would be the biggest twist in the book! But I sure hope that's not the case.

Hah! I found out why the Sand Sisters stood out for me in the Quaithe theory...Oberyn himself attended the Citadel. So my thoughts now meander over to Nymeria Sand as Quaithe. Her mother was of Volantis blood...grrrrrr...this means I have to go over everything in Clash, Storm, and Feast to get the timeline straightened out. :blushing:

Hah! I found out why the Sand Sisters stood out for me in the Quaithe theory...Oberyn himself attended the Citadel. So my thoughts now meander over to Nymeria Sand as Quaithe. Her mother was of Volantis blood...grrrrrr...this means I have to go over everything in Clash, Storm, and Feast to get the timeline straightened out. :blushing:

Er, Nymeria is on her way to KL right now to take the open seat in the council.

Just reread the AFFC prologue. Alleras was only at the citadel for a year. The timeline is tight, but it's still possible that Alleras returned from Qarth after meeting Dany (as Quaithe). More importantly, she/he states:

The dragon has three heads,” he announced in his soft Dornish drawl.

“Is this a riddle?” Roone wanted to know. “Sphinxes always speak in riddles in the tales.”

“No riddle.” Alleras sipped his wine. The rest of them were quaffing tankards of the fearsomely strong cider that the Quill and Tankard was renowned for, but he preferred the strange, sweet wines of his mother’s country. Even in Oldtown such wines did not come cheap.

It had been Lazy Leo who dubbed Alleras “the Sphinx.” A sphinx is a bit of this, a bit of that: a human face, the body of a lion, the wings of a hawk. Alleras was the same: his father was a Dornishman, his mother a black-skinned Summer Islander. His own skin was dark as teak. And like the green marble sphinxes that flanked the Citadel’s main gate, Alleras had eyes of onyx.

“No dragon has ever had three heads except on shields and banners,” Armen the Acolyte said firmly. “That was a heraldic charge, no more. Furthermore, the Targaryens are all dead.”

“Not all,” said Alleras. “The Beggar King had a sister.”

“I thought her head was smashed against a wall,” said Roone.

“No,” said Alleras. “It was Prince Rhaegar’s young son Aegon whose head was dashed against

the wall by the Lion of Lannister’s brave men. We speak of Rhaegar’s sister, born on Dragonstone before its fall. The one they called Daenerys.”

I'm doing some reading myself, and my thought is on the lack of eye-colour description for Quaithe. Sarella has onyx eyes, Oberyn has dark, shining eyes, and Quaithe has wet, shiny eyes...

At the time Dany met Quaithe is the timeline I'm trying to figure out right now. Knowing that Sarella's mother is a captain of a ship (The Feathered Kiss), one can 'assume' that she could hitch a ride out east very easily. :dunno:

Like this, but don't think is true.

Why would Serella warn Dany for the Sun's son and tell her not to trust him?

Archived