Who is Quaithe ?

Golden Lady

That makes sense. But I don't think she's Ashara Dayne because I think that Ashara Dayne is the septa with "Aegon" or Young Griff. I don't think that Ashara sounded the type to go off the Shadow Lands of Ashaai, even in grief. Shiera was a "minion" of the darker arts of magic, which is very much associated with Ashaai. but I totally see your point, Minerva.

That makes sense. But I don't think she's Ashara Dayne because I think that Ashara Dayne is the septa with "Aegon" or Young Griff. I don't think that Ashara sounded the type to go off the Shadow Lands of Ashaai, even in grief. Shiera was a "minion" of the darker arts of magic, which is very much associated with Ashaai. but I totally see your point, Minerva.

thanks

Since Shiera is from way back when, this generation, especially Dany whose histories are weak due to her circumstances, would certainly not recognise her. As we've seen, her GRRM neglects to mention anything of Quaithes eyes, which I think is telling us that he knows that if he was just like "haunting violet" or "mismatched" eyes, everyone would pick up on it and figure out who they were, which wouldn't be near as interesting. As we know, he LOVES describing features, particularly eyes, so in this case, the person in question's eyes must be SO obvious that he let it slip to make it more interesting. Also the first thing dany notices is the mask, which anyone would. Maybe when Quaithe touched her, the distraction of such an event followed by a chilling prophecy, forced Dany's attention to more important matters that did not involve the eyes being an identification. Shiera or Ashara, those eyes were not mentioned because they would have been a dead giveaway because both are so distinct and could only really belong to either one

Since Shiera is from way back when, this generation, especially Dany whose histories are weak due to her circumstances, would certainly not recognise her. As we've seen, her GRRM neglects to mention anything of Quaithes eyes, which I think is telling us that he knows that if he was just like "haunting violet" or "mismatched" eyes, everyone would pick up on it and figure out who they were, which wouldn't be near as interesting. As we know, he LOVES describing features, particularly eyes, so in this case, the person in question's eyes must be SO obvious that he let it slip to make it more interesting. Also the first thing dany notices is the mask, which anyone would. Maybe when Quaithe touched her, the distraction of such an event followed by a chilling prophecy, forced Dany's attention to more important matters that did not involve the eyes being an identification. Shiera or Ashara, those eyes were not mentioned because they would have been a dead giveaway because both are so distinct and could only really belong to either one

Maybe he's saving it for later?

I don't see Quaithe being Ashara since Ashara was a pretty normal. There's no reason to associate the Daynes with the occult is there? Shiera makes more sense. Of course she could just be a shadowbinder from Asshai...

Yeah, that's true. But "just being a shadowbinder from Ashaai" is hardly as exciting as a mismatched-eyed seductress who was keen on bathing in blood and was in tune with darker forces lol.

Especially one as hot as Shiera :)

Can someone refresh my memory who is Shiera? It's been about 7 or 8 years since I've reads the books.

Shiera Seastar, from the dunk n egg books. I don't think she's mentioned in the 5 books. Have a look at her wiki.

There's every possibility that Quaithe is no one important and we'll never know. It seems that some people in the world just make prophecies and then feel compelled to ensure that those prophecies are carried out. Quaithe is Dany's equivalent of Melisandre: a woman of mysterious origins who dedicates herself to helping someone she feels is destined for greatness.

The reason that they have picked their particular hero isn't explained, nor their true motives for doing so. Their methods aren't understood and their identities aren't elaborated on much.

I think that Quaithe gathers lots of attention because of her mask, but bear in mind that other than their appearances, there really isn't a lot of difference between her strange decision to assist Dany with unclear advice and Melisandre's decisions to help Stannis with equally unclear advice.

She died giving birth to Dany? Where in the timeline with relation to the rebellion?

Yes. Rhaella Targaryen was sent to Dragonstone during the Rebellion, and gave birth to Dany there, where she died during childbirth. This was near the end of the Rebellion, I believe in the last months.

Archived