Publication Date confirmed for Scott Lynch’s THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES

AncalagonTheBlack

Trisk, oh the series has done well and it's been quite popular, but it's also been six years since the last book came out. I'm guessing your local library system probably sold off the extra copies as time went on and word of mouth dropped off.

Scott just posted this on twitter.

Hopefully it's no big deal, and he will be feeling better in no time. But still, it saddens me to read it.

Just to clarify this, Scott has been having issues with his back (as he indicates later on his twitter), so let's keep the speculation to a minimum and the well-wishes tasteful and plenty. :)

Just to clarify this, Scott has been having issues with his back (as he indicates later on his twitter), so let's keep the speculation to a minimum and the well-wishes tasteful and plenty. :)

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

As he also says on Twitter, he ended up flat on his back and was rescued by Saladin Ahmed (whose book I really need to get around to reading), so it's not that kind of issue. I'm sure everyone wishes Scott a speedy recovery :)

I thought book 1 was pretty good, book 2 was OK, after the long wait, I no longer care to even bother with book 3. At this point I have forgotten what happened in books 1 and 2 and don't have much desire to re-read them to catch up.

I thought book 1 was pretty good, book 2 was OK, after the long wait, I no longer care to even bother with book 3. At this point I have forgotten what happened in books 1 and 2 and don't have much desire to re-read them to catch up.

Well, they're not exactly ASoIaF. There isn't a huge amount of backstory you need to keep in mind here. Jean and Locke are two con artists and thieves, they've severely annoyed a bunch of wizards called the Bondsmagi and need to get them off their backs. I don't think there's a massive amount more of info you need to keep in mind other than that.

Neth Space reviewed TRoT.

The Republic of Thieves is one of the most highly anticipated books in the SFF world over the last 7 years. The biggest question is whether those high expectation will or can be met. As I’ve said in this review, in my opinion Lynch not only meets, but exceeds those expectations. Welcome back Scott – I can’t recall the last time I had so much fun reading a book.

Ask Scott Lynch

Are we likely to see Camorr again in the main narrative of the series?

Yes, absolutely. At least twice, I'm thinking.

Will we ever get to see more of Father Chains background, maybe even a short story with him as a younger man?

The magic 8-ball says... outcome uncertain. 50/50, I'd say. I've got a fair notion of his history and why/how he ended up the way he did. As to whether I'll find a really inspiring hook to hang his story on... can't say. So it's only a possibility for now.

Will the series go beyond Locke as main protagonist? Have you thought about killing him?

I think about killing him every. damn. book.

But, ah, saying more beyond that is really entering spoiler country.

New answers:

How many books are planned for the Gentleman Bastards series?

Seven.

Do you have any plans for any other series either in the same world or outside of it?

Ideally, there will be an additional seven-book sequence set a generation after INHERIT THE NIGHT, bringing the story full circle for all the participants. Plus a number of smaller side projects.

The world your characters inhabit has a late medieval early renaissance Italian vibe to it, is that a time and plce that interests you, and you would have written your world like that anyway or was it a case of coming up with a plot that involved conmen and organised crime and building a world that supported that plot element? Not sure if that question makes any sense, but it kind of does in my head.

I love the study of the time period, but I originally set the story in something much closer to the 12th century than the 16th. I rapidly realized that the earlier world simply wasn't socially or economically complex enough, and not populated enough, to allow the sort of crime Locke & Co. practice. So I had to model it on Renaissance/Elizabethan lines to support my criminal plot elements.

What's happening with The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic and The Choir of Knives? I'm fairly sure you answered this elsewhere, but my Google brain isn't working this early in the morning.

The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic I'm mired in right now, and hope to have finished asap. it should be going off to Subterranean Press before Republic hits store shelves, and as far as I know its art is ready to go, so assuming Bill likes the story the first novella should be out soonish. Choir I hope to finish before the end of the year.

*sigh*

So, I was looking into pre-ordering The Republic of Thieves.

I only read ebooks. I can preorder it in that format for $13.99 from Barnes & Noble's website.

Or, for just $4.14 more, I can get the physical hardcover edition - with free shipping. I hate when ebook pricing is so out of whack with regular book pricing.

I don't mind paying $14 for a brand new ebook, but when I see the difference between that and the hardcover, it just seems so out of whack.

Archived