Publication Date confirmed for Scott Lynch’s THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES

AncalagonTheBlack

*sigh*

So, I was looking into pre-ordering The Republic of Thieves.

I only read ebooks. I can preorder it in that format for $13.99 from Barnes & Noble's website.

Or, for just $4.14 more, I can get the physical hardcover edition - with free shipping. I hate when ebook pricing is so out of whack with regular book pricing.

I don't mind paying $14 for a brand new ebook, but when I see the difference between that and the hardcover, it just seems so out of whack.

Out of curiosity... how much is the physical cost of producing one book out of a mass produced batch? Do you think its more than $5? I can't believe that its significantly more than that.

Out of curiosity... how much is the physical cost of producing one book out of a mass produced batch? Do you think its more than $5? I can't believe that its significantly more than that.

That's a good question. I don't really know the answer to it. On the surface, I sorta doubt it.

But, I think I look at it like the difference between a paperback and a hardback. Does a hardback novel really cost double (or more) than it costs to produce a paperback novel? Not really. But the paperback novel always costs (at least) half as much as a hardback.

Eh, I don't mind the pricing. While some people like collecting hardbacks, signatures, etc, The real reason hardbacks cost more is because they know they can charge the price and people will buy it. It's a premium for reading the book as soon as it is available. In that context, I don't mind paying a little more for new e-book releases. Kinda like (but not really) seeing a movie in the theater vs waiting to rent it. If I want to read it (see it) now, I'm cool with the price.

Physical production costs are about 13% of the cost of the price (or they were a few years ago, it may be fluctuated since), so about $2.20 on an $18 book.

In the UK technically ebooks should be more expensive than paper books, because production costs are 13% less but then you have to add VAT of 20% on top (digital media are counted for sales tax - VAT - whilst paper media is not).

Physical production costs are not, however, the only costs to the publisher that exist with print books but not with e-books. Storage, distribution and fear of possible losses due to retailer returns/remainders also drive up the prices of print books but have no real e-book equivalent. To the extent that high e-book pricing has a justification other than "People will pay that much," it's that publishers don't want to price e-books so low that the print equivalents don't sell, leaving them with lots of leftover copies and associated costs.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/ask-scott-lynch/msg72490/#msg72490

Have you ever thought about writing an additional series in a future Camorr (like 2 or 3 centuries later), like Brandon Sanderson has done with his Mistborn series?

I gave it quite a bit of consideration, actually. The idea interested me (as a fan of Ray Feist's Midkemia books from way back when, I like the generational arcs of that story and would definitely like to play with something like that at some point), but I ultimately decided that I just couldn't swing it for Locke's world. These books focus in extreme detail on the life and times of Locke Lamora & Co., and the thing is... I don't have a character waiting in the wings to carry a similar level of scrutiny a hundred years later in the fictional world. Extending the timeline would feel imbalanced to me, if that makes any sense... many novels of loving detail followed by novels where I was essentially trying to fake it. And I can't do that.

New Scott Lynch interview

In your writing, has a secondary or background character ever ‘taken over’, and become a primary character or otherwise changed the direction or tone substantially – or have they tried, and you’ve beaten them back successfully with a stick? If so, who?

There is a character who re-emerges at the end of The Republic of Thieves who was not originally, er, scheduled to make such a big appearance. However, once the idea for the scene had popped into my head, there was no chasing it out… it was too big and cool to run away from. Zamira Drakasha also evolved well beyond her original mandate because she’s so much fun to have… doing anything, really. It’s why she’ll be back later in the series. I don’t mind spoiling that.

Jean, also, has substantially evolved since his initial conception as a fairly coarse sidekick… I decided to swap up some of the usual tropes of the burly bruiser and give him a brain and a delicate sense of tact, and frankly… I just didn’t expect the popularity he’s garnered. It’s definitely shaped the way I write him. For instance, in my original notes from eight years ago (give or take), I meant to write a scene where teenage Locke helps awkward teenage Jean lose his virginity, with a clever series of lies and exaggerations to slip Jean into someone’s bed… but when it finally came time to write the teenage years of the Bastards in Republic, that approach struck me as a big mistake… Jean, as we have come to know him over two books, doesn’t need anybody’s subterfuge or charity where his love life is concerned.

What happens to your characters is heart-wrenching – possibly even more so because then you tend to kill a hefty amount. In the first novel we’re introduced to The Gentlemen Bastards only to have half of them dead by the end. Do you feel character-lose is necessary? At any stage, were our beloved Bug and the Sanza twins forecast to live, or were they doomed from the start? What about Nazca, and will we ever see her again in flashbacks?

Nazca will be seen again in The Republic of Thieves and The Ministry of Necessity. Bug and the Sanzas… well, they were doomed from the start. I actually rewrote Bug’s last lines to make them a bit less stoically heroic and more pathetic. The Gentleman Bastard sequence… is essentially meant to be a refutation and an alternative to anodyne fantasy where nothing ever changes and people only die in comfortingly heroic and dignified ways… life is messy. Life is unfair. My job is not to soothe you, my dear, poor readers, it’s to take you on a ride. It’s not meant to be unrelenting in any direction… many characters will survive. Many will not. Some moments will be warm and cuddly. Others will be hard as hell, for you and me both. From time to time I have stared long at a character slowly descending into the maw of the implacable murder machine, and wondered if I might be able to flip a few switches and pop them out without screwing up the story… but most of those meditations, and their results, I am never going to spoil.

Physical production costs are about 13% of the cost of the price (or they were a few years ago, it may be fluctuated since), so about $2.20 on an $18 book.

But what percentage of the price does the publisher actually receive from the distributors after they and the retailers have taken their cut? $2.20 off the wholesale price should translate to $4.40 or more off the retail price. And as Brendan Moody points out, there are other costs for printed books beyond the physical production. For ebooks, distributors and retailers aren't actually doing anything to justify their cut; the whole process should be pretty much automated, with near zero per unit processing costs.

I already loved Lynch just based on Lies, but reading the interviews from him (these recent ones and older ones) really make me like and respect him a huge amount. I just really like his attitude towards it all for some reason. Can't wait for Republic of Theives, and I'm eternally grateful that Lynch managed to get over his issues (for his sake, as well as his books) and find it in himself to begin writing again.

You're welcome. Here are new answers from Scott.

If I remember right (lend the books to a friend, so can't participate in the reread atm), Camorr was built by an unknown/alien/extinct race. Do we ever learn more about them or will we see more of their remnants in later books?

Eldren weirdness will be featured throughout the series, but as to whether or not I'm ever going to give a complete picture of their nature, origin, history, and fate... I doubt it. Some mysteries are just better left alone. Precisely how much I will pull the curtain back on, I won't spoil right now.

How do you begin your writin process? To what level of detail do you have the plot mapped out before you begin? Do you whing it completely? Do you sketch out a bare bones plot and fill in the rest as you go along? Or do you have to finish an incredibly detailed outline of be entire plot before you begin?

I have answered this one many times recently, so I apologize for my brevity here. I am a deep and thorough outliner; I believe in having a solid sense of narrative arc, how the story begins and closes, where the characters end up, how they are meant to change and what it all means, etc. I do leave a lot of room in the middle for the characters to take different paths to reach their destinations, but I can't work unless I have solid knowledge of the shape of the whole piece in my head. We have some examples of recent pop culture that started strong, perhaps even brilliantly, and petered out into lame, confusing, contradictory, half-assed endings. I'm thinking specifically of Battlestar Galactica and Lost. I don't fly on a wing and a prayer; I want a map to my final destination before I start, even if it's a rough one.

Also- I know you've said we'll see more of Camorr, and that makes me unbelievably happy. But do you have any other cities planned in the mold of Camorr and Tal Verrar?

The city-state of Karthain is the major focus of Republic, along with (to a lesser extent) the smaller city of Espara. We're also going to spend time (in future books) in the minor state of Ashmere and the major commercial city of Emberlain, a breakaway portion of the Kingdom of the Seven Marrows. Each of the first four books in the sequence essentially reveals a new city and covers it in-depth. There's also a lot of time to be spent in Vintila, the capital of the Marrows, but it's got a slight case of being in the middle of a giant friggin' war starting in book IV, so it will be a while before it gets the sort of "glamour shots" that Camorr, Tal Verrar, Karthain, and Emberlain do.

• 3 weeks later...

SFFWorld official review by Rob H. Bedford.

All told, The Republic of Thieves is likely to please the many readers who are anticipating a return to Lynch’s voice and characters. Despite feeling the novel could use some trimming here and there, I thoroughly enjoyed it; it was fun and great entertainment. For if the novel doesn’t entertain, than it has failed so in that regard The Republic of Thieves is a success. Locke Lamora is proving to be one of the most engaging and enigmatic characters in fantasy, reading his voice is pure delight. The hints and foundations Lynch set down here in the third volume have, as I said, only raised my anticipation for the next novel in the sequence, The Thorn of Emberlain, for which I hope we as readers don’t have to wait as we readers did the wait between The Republic of Thieves and Red Seas Under Red Skies.

Mr.OJ,

*sigh*

I only read ebooks. I can preorder it in that format for $13.99 from Barnes & Noble's website.

Or, for just $4.14 more, I can get the physical hardcover edition - with free shipping. I hate when ebook pricing is so out of whack with regular book pricing.

I don't mind paying $14 for a brand new ebook, but when I see the difference between that and the hardcover, it just seems so out of whack.

Wah.

*sigh*

The ebook is cheapest at amazon,buy it from there and convert it to whatever format you want.If you're going to exclusively read only ebooks then don't stick to one particular ebook store,look for the cheapest option,buy it,convert it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/75897-a-comprehensive-list-of-e-book-stores-from-around-the-world/

Can't wait for the release next week. Hemmed and hawed on whether I wanted it on my Kindle or in the hardback, which looks great and will fit in well next to the first two books.

I dropped a tweet to Del Rey Spectra to see if they were participating in Amazon's upcoming Matchbook program, where buying the physical book makes the e-book available at a deep discount. Got this reply from Del Rey Spectra's twitter: "We aren't currently participating in the Kindle Matchbook program."

In any case, I ordered the hardback. Just have to have it that way. Maybe they'll offer the e-book version deep discounted, like they did for TLoLL a week or two ago for 99 cents.

Counting down the days till Locke and Jean return...

Ok so this cover is quite possibly my favourite hardcover ever, so I decided I needed to go ahead and preorder that instead of just getting a kindle. So in deciding the best place to order it, I come across this version of the cover. I think I love that even more, but I can't see anywhere to definitively order THAT version :( you can see it on amazon.co.uk but it's showing it as one of 2 images for the same copy so no idea which it is and assume it's the standard misty grey that will actually ship.

Anyone got any idea on whether that version is actually available?

Archived