Publication Date confirmed for Scott Lynch’s THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES

AncalagonTheBlack

Picked it up at Barnes and Noble this morning.

Didn't notice it on the shelf at first, so I asked about it. When looked up in the store computer, they had gotten two copies. One was reserved and the other was on the shelves...

A little disappointed. That's about the same I saw for Red Country tough. I had hoped there would be a bigger push for this.

New interview

And it took years to put the pieces of my life reasonably back together. Even once that process was underway, I had to take the complete-but-outdated text of Republic and rewrite nearly half of it. The guy that went into the book is not the same guy that came out the other end, and the version of the story I’d finished in, say, 2010 isn’t anything I’d be proud of now.

So yes, I’d concur that prose-wise, the new book is tighter and smoother than its predecessors. Fewer weasel words. Fewer intrusions of my own speech patterns into the dialogue or description.

The next book (Number four!) in the Gentleman Bastard sequence is The Thorn of Emberlain, and I’m already hard at work on it. I’ve also got a pair of novellas, The Mad Baron’s Mechanical Attic and The Choir of Knives, that will bridge the time between The Republic of Thieves and Thorn. Those will be available from Subterranean Press. I’ve also got several short stories slated for publication or in the works… one for the Clockwork Universe: Steampunk vs. Aliens anthology, and one already written for the big Gardner Dozois/George R.R. Martin theme anthology Rogues, available some time in 2014.

I finished The Republic of Thieves yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I would personally rank it as not as good The Lies of Locke Lamora (which I absolutely loved) but better than Red Seas Under Red Skies.

I hadn't read any reviews before reading the book for fear of getting spoiled, but I had a look at a few before writing this post. The most negative one seems to be Pats over at the fantasy hotlist, and I must say that it left me a bit confused.

It's not that I don't see what he's complaining about - on the contrary, I noticed most of the flaws he mentions, but I think that he greatly exaggerates both their magnitude and the extent to which they are unique to TROT.

Yes, the pace of the plot drops a bit in the middle of the book, but not that much, and RSURS had it's own problems with pacing. It's also true that people sometimes act in ways that don't make perfect sense if you scrutinize the scenarios closely, but the same thing can be said for both the preceding books.

IMO, anyone who managed to suspend their disbelief for TLOLL and RSURS should not have any major problems doing the same thing for TROT, and if you look forward to seeing Locke and Jean again the joy that reunion should tide you over any slight drop of the pace during the middle of the book.

As for my own complaints, they are mostly about the end:

I find it very hard to buy that Patience/Seamstress would just release the Falconer and leave him without keeping any watch on him. It's just too stupid a thing to do for someone supposedly that smart. But I guess it makes the next book all the more exciting...

To be honest I thought both of the previous books sagged in the middle but the intro and final act were strong enough to forgive this. I thought Red seas was really meandering for a huge chunk but thought the ending was amazing. I don't mind having to trudge through a similar thing in the new book if the ending matches previous books. Ideally I wouldn't have.

Edited - I wrote a lengthy rant about marketing for the book in the US and just wanted to delete it after I published. Sorry for wasting time.

I'd be interested to hear it.

I commented on the fact that the local B&N only had two copies (of which I snagged the second) and I had at least two local friends I know who weren't able to get it. A patient of mine who works there said the initial order is set by the corporate level and is based on previous sales numbers. Which seems confusing to me as I recall LoLL and RSURS having at least above average numbers. :dunno:

I'd be interested to hear it.

I commented on the fact that the local B&N only had two copies (of which I snagged the second) and I had at least two local friends I know who weren't able to get it. A patient of mine who works there said the initial order is set by the corporate level and is based on previous sales numbers. Which seems confusing to me as I recall LoLL and RSURS having at least above average numbers. :dunno:

Seconded... I can't believe that this author isn't a household name yet,

Seconded... I can't believe that this author isn't a household name yet,

He may have to wait for the films. I guess authors become better known with each book so it's still relatively early days for him.

Edited - I wrote a lengthy rant about marketing for the book in the US and just wanted to delete it after I published. Sorry for wasting time.

WELL YOU DIDN'T DO IT FAST ENOUGH. I SAW IT. I SAW YOUR SHAME. AND I SHOWED IT TO MY FRIENDS AND THEY ALL THOUGHT YOU WERE A DICK.

Although really, I saw it before you edited it, and it was a perfectly valid, interesting post, and not really very ranty. I don't get why you deleted it, and if there's a way to undo edits, then I'd say do it.

Frank,

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you there. Sure, it isn't nearly as bad as lots of people make out, but it is still the weakest book of the series (despite still being better than most fantasy books in its own right).

I rank ADWD as the worst of the series. I think it lacks narrative cohesion and seems really scattered when compaired to the other novels.

Agreed. But lets not get sidetracked again. Theres an entire forum dedicated to discussing things like that (which I should really visit sometime... y'know, this being a forum based on ASOIAF...)

Agreed. But lets not get sidetracked again. Theres an entire forum dedicated to discussing things like that (which I should really visit sometime... y'know, this being a forum based on ASOIAF...)

I haven't clicked on a topic north of the Miscellaneous subheading in years. :lol:

Great, so I'm not the only one! I thought I was being weird, going onto an ASOIAF board but never touching anything but the general literature section (and occasionally the Entertainment bit).

I don't know, but I find it amusing that a literature subforum of a forum based on a specific series is large and reputable enough that several authors of the books we discuss actually post here. Not complaining though, it's awesome.

I always go directly to the Literature board. I did used to venture to the Game of Thrones threads during season, but I eventually learned better.

I stay away from the GoT threads - nothing but incurable madmen roaming the halls, baying at the moon. Threads discussing the books are OK for the most part though some there really truly need to get lives. But the threads on the series... :bang:

My copy of RoT was preordered from Amazon and shipped yesterday. Being I live on the edge of the world it will get here in this century.

Both my hard copy and kindle versions have arrived (now I need to order the UK version :P), but I'm not really in any hurry. I think I'll reread the first two, so I'll probably get to TRoT in December.

Great, so I'm not the only one! I thought I was being weird, going onto an ASOIAF board but never touching anything but the general literature section (and occasionally the Entertainment bit).

I think most people tend to start on the ASoIaF portions of the board, spend about a year (+ 6mon) wanking around there, and finally discover this part of the board, get bored with seeing the exact same theories posted over and over (and over, and over...), and then just stick with the cool people that hang out in Miscellaneous.

I swear I preordered the kindle edition last weekend. I happened to be reading on my kindle at midnight when it became October 10th so I thought I'd check ROT had arrived safely... No sign of it. Refresh. Nope, still not there. Sync. Nope. Still not there. I ended up buying it again (it arrived immediately). No idea what happened there but they had better not end up charging me twice for it!

Archived