Publication Date confirmed for Scott Lynch’s THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES

AncalagonTheBlack

I swear I preordered the kindle edition last weekend. I happened to be reading on my kindle at midnight when it became October 10th so I thought I'd check ROT had arrived safely... No sign of it. Refresh. Nope, still not there. Sync. Nope. Still not there. I ended up buying it again (it arrived immediately). No idea what happened there but they had better not end up charging me twice for it!

Does amazon.co.uk put the little banner up at the top of the page on items that you've previously purchased like .com does? I'm pretty sure it shows up on preorders, but I don't have any open preorders that I can check.

I think most people tend to start on the ASoIaF portions of the board, spend about a year (+ 6mon) wanking around there, and finally discover this part of the board, get bored with seeing the exact same theories posted over and over (and over, and over...), and then just stick with the cool people that hang out in Miscellaneous.

Yeah, that's exactly the case, and not only on this particular board. I guess every forum that lasts more than few years ends up pretty much like this. The difference here being, that a constant flow of the new users makes the other parts of the board alive as well, while most other forums' activities concentrate on miscellaneous only.

I'm rereading TLoLL, I'll probably start reading TRoT some time in November.

Locus Magazine interviewed Lynch.

‘‘I have firm plans for the Gentleman Bastard sequence. Assuming that it continues to be commercially successful enough that my publishers will give me carte blanche to keep going, I would like to follow it with a further seven books, set about 20 years after the end of Inherit the Night, book seven of the current sequence. Picking up generationally from what has happened before, while some old characters will return, a largely new cast would have to deal with the consequences of what happened in the first seven books.

‘‘But The Gentleman Bastard is also intended to be a complete sequence in and of itself. If you look at The Lies of Locke Lamora, it’s a complete novel. It doesn’t end on a cliffhanger – it invites sequels without requiring them. And every book in the sequence (with maybe one exception) is going to be a full and complete story in between its two covers. I just hope that by the time the seven books are finished, I’ve made it clear that there’s a basis for continuing it. Ideally, another seven and that will be it: a mere 14 books.”

Great, so I'm not the only one! I thought I was being weird, going onto an ASOIAF board but never touching anything but the general literature section (and occasionally the Entertainment bit).

I don't know, but I find it amusing that a literature subforum of a forum based on a specific series is large and reputable enough that several authors of the books we discuss actually post here. Not complaining though, it's awesome.

Agreed. I literally keep my Literature tab open and it's one of the first things I refresh in the morning.

Still got a hundred pages of Steelheart left, but this will most certainly be my next outing.

So, 2 B&N's and not a copy to be found. At the 2nd store, the clerk told me they got 1 copy. And that one seems to have mysteriously vanished. I ended up ordering it, so I should have it in a few days. Not that big a deal, since I still have to finish my re-read. Nearly finished with TLoLL, and should start RSURS in by next week It'll probably be a few weeks before I'm ready for the new one anyway. Still, frustrating.

Also, I rarely go north of Miscellaneous subforums. I was here for a few years before going there, and only ventrued up for the first time while re-reading the books a few months ago. The show forums I've only visited a couple of times, and that via a casting announcement thread that was linked on the main page.

Heh, I was just wondering whether to bother with a reread myself. I'm pretty sure the significant events were - Jean's girlfriend died, the Archon betrayed them and they decided to have him endlessly tortured and Locke got poisoned. Can't remember if that was just the Archon's poison or a Bondsmagi poison or is it the same thing? I do remember something about them making friends with a guy that pulled them up when they were dangling from a rope and that wasn't, iirc, resolved in Red Seas?

Anyway, I'm plodding through the prologue of RoT regardless. Fairly slow going, but that's mostly cause I already read it like two years ago, when it was first made available. Looking forward to the new stuff.

Okay - by popular demand, here is an edited version of my earlier rant regarding marketing of this book.

This is, without question, the most anticipated book in my house for years. I discovered Lies on my own, buying the HB at a Borders (RIP) in DC while I was killing time before a Capitals game. I got my wife interested in genre because she asked me for a recommendation and I suggested Lies, which she fell in love with. She read ASOIAF after she read Lies. We've even listened to the audiobook versions, despite having already read it, because we loved the story and the guy who reads the audiobook versions is fantastic. We have been waiting for this one for a long time and as much as I love GRRM and his books, this was a bigger release for us.

I preordered it from Amazon. But, decided to pick up another copy so my wife can read at the same time as me. We've done this before (publishers must love us) and we give the extra copy to the local library here in Atlanta. So...I went into the B&N near my office. I couldn't find it. I had to search and go upstairs where I found exactly two copies. When I checked out, I asked how many they had ordered, out of curiosity (I'd seen the earlier post) and they likewise had one preorder and two copies otherwise available for purchase. I had now bought the first.

And I started thinking about it. The marketing job Del Rey has done here in the US for this book has been a real disservice to Scott. For whatever reason, Gollancz has been all over this book. They've been encouraging the read-along over at Fantasy Faction of the two prior books, have posted pictures of it, the twitter feed has been giving away copies, they were involved with the book trailer etc. And yet, Del Rey seems to have done almost squat for it. I don't know if this is because the Gollancz people are better at their job, love the book and Scott more, or were the people who first "discovered" Scott (if memory serves, Gollancz got the rights first, and then sold them to Del Rey for the US - but I could be wrong). Maybe it's because whomever runs the Gollancz twitter feed is just freaking outstanding. I don't know.

According to Scott's post this morning, Lies has sold over 300,000 copies worldwide. I looked at the stacks of new releases at B&N and there was stuff there by authors who can't have sold a fraction of that. And yet...two copies! I was in Costco that same afternoon picking up diapers (6 month old at home) and looked there (actually went there before the B&N) and there is absolutely zero reason why that book couldn't have been sold there - there were plenty of authors on that table of books who've sold fewer copies than Scott has. For crying out loud...

I just don't understand why this release hasn't been marketed better over here. Publishers often have to pay to have books put up on the front tables at B&N or at Costco, etc....I just don't understand why Del Rey hasn't done it. I'd be curious if someone over in the UK could pop into a Waterstones or WH Smith and see how many copies a random store in the UK has. Wouldn't shock me if it's more than here.

So there's my rant. :)

(oh - and like others...I pretty much only read the Literature forum...I like ASOIAF and GOT as much as anybody else, but I find the Literature forum to be the only one I enjoy reading)

I guess Del Rey put all of their marketing money into free ARC's. They gave out a bunch of them, probably hoping that good reviews would boost hype. But reviews weren't all that stellar.

I did expect the long wait to boost hype like it did for ADwD and The Wise Man's Fear. It doesn't seem to have happened with TRoT.

So there's my rant. :)

That's a good rant to share. Glad you posted it back.

And I agree it's weird that they aren't pushing this book more. Two copies?

Then again, when Dance came out my local Books a Million had only ordered 5 copies and they were gone pretty fast. I had to wait a week or so to get it. Then a few weeks later, there was a huge display and 30+ copies stacked up. I guess they missed the initial memo about how nerds literary aficionados had been waiting six years for the book.

Maybe it's the same for RoT?

Someone mention the "film" up thread. Has there been any movement on that? I remember the film rights were snatched up pretty fast when Lies came out.

I wouldn't say that advance reviews weren't stellar. I'd say advance reviews have been generally positive, with a few exceptions. I know Pat hated it and others have said it tends to drag in the middle. Some have been disappointed that it isn't the book of the year, but I've read others that think exactly that. Shrug.

ARCs cost the publisher almost nothing, particularly since so many are/were ebook ARCs. Del Rey could have been running contests, publishing interviews, etc. They just aren't. Again...this may be because Gollancz has first rights or something - I don't know.

And I added the bit at the top of that post because I want to admit that I may be somewhat biased in regards to this. Moreover, I do understand that sometimes second print runs are larger than the first run. But when an author has been so long between published books, the publisher should be pimping it as hard as they can to remind people who don't hang out on message boards and blogs that Lynch is back with a new book. That's what Gollancz has been doing. Heck...for all I know, there are cardboard standups, etc. in the UK - I know the Gollancz twitter feed posted pics of those.

Side topic - should this thread be renamed or should we start a new thread? Publication is here and gone as of today for both US and UK. Maybe create a general Scott Lynch discussion thread, apart from the spoiler thread for TRoT? I'm not a mod...don't know how these sorts of things work.

Side topic - should this thread be renamed or should we start a new thread? Publication is here and gone as of today for both US and UK. Maybe create a general Scott Lynch discussion thread, apart from the spoiler thread for TRoT? I'm not a mod...don't know how these sorts of things work.

There is a spoiler thread too. I... can't go in there yet. :)

Yeah - I was thinking what we need is a non-spoiler thread to discuss the Gentlemen Bastards books and Lynch in general - similar to the various Abercrombie/Bakker/etc. threads. Any spoilers would need spoiler tagging (there's a thread if you want to discuss spoilers). But maybe not. I just think this particular thread is starting to outlive it's purpose, since it was originally about the confirmed publication date.

Likewise, I can't go into the spoiler thread at all. I have a six month old...I'm still not past page 50...and that was all stuff that was online prior to publication (some of it years old).

Yeah - I was thinking what we need is a non-spoiler thread to discuss the Gentlemen Bastards books and Lynch in general - similar to the various Abercrombie/Bakker/etc. threads. Any spoilers would need spoiler tagging (there's a thread if you want to discuss spoilers). But maybe not. I just think this particular thread is starting to outlive it's purpose, since it was originally about the confirmed publication date.

Likewise, I can't go into the spoiler thread at all. I have a six month old...I'm still not past page 50...and that was all stuff that was online prior to publication (some of it years old).

This thread will be locked when it hits 20/21 pages,it's already at 18 pages, so you might as well open a general discussion thread.

Okay. RoT just arrived. Excited. Going to start as soon as I finish this post...

But I am really pissed off at the cover! The cover is fine enough itself, but it has an endorsement from GRRM slap bang in the middle of the page in the most awkward way possible, and "Locke Lamora is dying" just above the title. Both are unnecessary (the endorsement could at least be better situated) and really detract from the rest of it. Also, Sabetha's (I'm guessing it's her?) arms look really weird and unnatural, both in the way they're held and drawn. The vambraces and jeweled stuff near the shoulders looks unnatural. It almost looks like it's been photoshoppedon. The blood coming off the knives is also depressingly unconvincing... worst cover in the series to date.

By the way guys, how do y'all like my new avatar (new as of yesterday, that is)? Thought, since I'm nearing a thousand posts, I should get one...

Okay. RoT just arrived. Excited. Going to start as soon as I finish this post...

But I am really pissed off at the cover! The cover is fine enough itself, but it has an endorsement from GRRM slap bang in the middle of the page in the most awkward way possible, and "Locke Lamora is dying" just above the title. Both are unnecessary (the endorsement could at least be better situated) and really detract from the rest of it. Also, Sabetha's (I'm guessing it's her?) arms look really weird and unnatural, both in the way they're held and drawn. The vambraces and jeweled stuff near the shoulders looks unnatural. It almost looks like it's been photoshoppedon. The blood coming off the knives is also depressingly unconvincing... worst cover in the series to date.

By the way guys, how do y'all like my new avatar (new as of yesterday, that is)? Thought, since I'm nearing a thousand posts, I should get one...

Did you get an international version? Mine has the GRRM quote, but its fairly unobtrusive situated in the upper left corner. As to the picture itself... :dunno: I liked it. Of course I thought the covers for the first two were pretty stellar as well.

As to Banjax's rant, I have to agree. Its one thing when a B&N in Elizabethtown, Kentucky gets only two copies... but in Atlanta??? I'd say that's a failure on the part of the publisher.

I thought the B&N thing was odd so I did some checking online for stores in various zip codes. Most stores have RoT, but there's the odd one or two that don't. And some of those are ones you wouldn't expect to not to have it. Maybe some went entirely to pre-orders or there were some hiccups with ordering, or maybe there was indeed a screw-up by Del Rey.

I am puzzled though why Costco would be expected to have it. Now there's only one Costco in my area and I'm not a member so I have no idea what they carry for books, but in my experience the bulk retailers - Walmart, Target, etc - don't carry much SFF and never have. Heck, most of my locals often don't have ASOIAF half the time even though all five books have been on the bestseller lists since ADWD came out. Just a market thing. Lynch is quite well know in the genre, but he's not that well known outside yet. Not like GRRM now is.

Archived