Publication Date confirmed for Scott Lynch’s THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES

AncalagonTheBlack

The Rothfuss/GRRM effect doesn't apply here. They had sold millions of copies of their books (even NotW by itself) before the big gap. Scott wasn't in that league at all. His profile was more of a steady builder, but you need a steady release schedule to keep that up and obviously that didn't happen (hopefully it will now). There's been - relatively - a few people on a few forums eagerly awaiting this book but we're a crazy minority. Most SFF fans have a vague idea, at best of who Scott Lynch is.

The blogosphere/forumsphere can be a great tool, but it can also be an echo chamber where a few, very low-selling authors can be chatted about loudly by a few people, and it feels like they should be much better known than they are in reality. Just look at this forum and who's being talked about regularly on it: 99% of SFF fans have never heard of Scott Bakker, but a lot of them have heard of the likes of Trudi Canavan and David Weber, who get little-to-no discussion here.

I am around 300 pages in this 600 page book, and I have found it absolutely delightful. I think Mr. Lynch has matured as a writer as I have found his prose a step up from what was already incredibly strong. He seems to have also made a conscience decision to tell the story more through the dialogue this time instead of the narrative.

Of the three books, I so far find this to contain the sharpest wit. Halfway through, and I have already laughed and chuckled in more places than I did through the entirety of the first or second book. Overall, I can not be more happy to reading this.

Most SFF fans have a vague idea, at best of who Scott Lynch is.

99% of SFF fans have never heard of Scott Bakker, but a lot of them have heard of the likes of Trudi Canavan and David Weber

It depends on which country you are living. The Lies of Locke Lamora has been translated to Finnish (by our largest publisher), but not a single book from Trudi Canavan, David Weber or even Terry Goodkind. I would guess that Lynch is a better-known fantasy author in Finland than Terry Brooks, Raymond E. Feist or Stephen R. Donaldson. All three have been failures here and quickly dropped by their publishers.

On the other hand, Red Seas Under Red Skies wasn't translated due poor sales of TLoLL...

Of the three books, I so far find this to contain the sharpest wit. Halfway through, and I have already laughed and chuckled in more places than I did through the entirety of the first or second book. Overall, I can not be more happy to reading this.

Yeah, I agree. Well, I mean I'm sure I laughed in the first and second but I did find this book genuinely very funny at times. There's one particular line from Jean I loved, but can't remember.

My copy should be arriving any day now, but I can't seem to summon any excitement for it any more... Lies and Red Seas were the two books that got me back into fantasy reading after more than a decade, and for years I was checking almost daily for an update on Republic - it seems that wait went on too long and my excitement for the series evaporated. I want to emphasise this is not at all a dig at Scott or anyone else connected to the book - I'm incredibly impressed with the way he overcame and the publication is a major achievement - I wonder if anyone else feels the same?

Not as much as when I say now that halfway through the book is a steamy hot sex scene between Locke and Jean, and they do some really dirty shit.

HA. SPOILED, BITCH.

(Btw, about Yagathai's post, I had the book spoiled way worse for me just by reading Pat's review...)

Edit: Okay, just finished the book... No spoilers below.

Won't go too far into it, but I didn't like this nearly as much as either of the previous two installments. I was really worried about some of the directions the whole thing went in, and what it means for future books, but we'll see. I hated the way the interludes were handled in this book. The book wasn't paced very well and... I dunno. I don't know what to think, but I hope The Thorn of Emberlain brings my faith back to the series.

Man... The Lies of Locke Lamora is my favourite book ever written, period... so I really want this series to continue that. But whether it does or not, I will always love Scott Lynch for writing that first book, and most importantly, for making it work as a stand alone book. Even if books 4 through 7 turn out to be utterly shite, I can forget them and pretend the first book exists in a void of its own, because it was written to work like that, as its own volume.

Meh. I dunno, I'm glad we finally got this one though. But the ending to this one was also really dissapointing. Compared to the intensely thrilling climaxes of books 1 and 2, this one... well. Whatever.

In what context? When referring to levels of a building, 'storeys' is correct (in English, anyway, but not American-English). Obviously when referring to fictional tales, that would be incorrect.

In what context? When referring to levels of a building, 'storeys' is correct (in English, anyway, but not American-English). Obviously when referring to fictional tales, that would be incorrect.

We know. :P

Archived