Publication Date confirmed for Scott Lynch’s THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES

AncalagonTheBlack

Just make sure you wear tights. It will all come together.

Literally and possibly painfully so, depending on the tights of course. :)

Excellent news. I'll have to plan a return trip down Locke Lamora Lane in preparation for the new book.

I'm thrilled to hear this.

I'd rather go into it with way low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than super-high expectations and be disappointed after another long wait.

But I have to agree with AP. I'm definitely tempering my expectations relative to what they were for RSURS.

I just don't understand the hoopla. Lies was decent, but I could barely crack the spine of the second book. I tried to re-read Lies - its actually sitting looking at me on my desk - but instead i read through 2 Gemmell books

meanwhile you enjoy Gemmell.

fair enough.

fair enough.

Not bothered enough to be excited but bothered enough to point it out in a thread about people being excited. I've done the same with other series too but it's only when you see others doing it you realise it seems petty.

I think I've been sensibly storing my excitement up but since the announcement became solid, I'm definitely feeling increasingly stoked about it. The last book had a great cliffhanger that promises a pretty interesting third installment alone (I still fear the delays are possibly due to a resolution to that cliffhanger we may not want). also really looking forward to the full introduction of Sabetha.

fair enough.

Gemmell has a nice understated style. It's old school heroic fantasy. I like the throwback.

Not bothered enough to be excited but bothered enough to point it out in a thread about people being excited. I've done the same with other series too but it's only when you see others doing it you realise it seems petty.

What, my mentioning that i don't understand the love is enough to crush other people's joy. Alright....

Well... that's up for debate.

It's for debate which ones are awesome. The Troy Trilogy is indeed awesome (aside from the last few chapters of the third book which were written by his wife after his death) and the Jon Shannow sequence is great. I always found Legend and the Drenai stuff to be horrendously overrated (Legend is actually the weakest Gemmell novel of the dozen or so I've read; I have no idea why it's considered a classic), however.

(Legend is actually the weakest Gemmell novel of the dozen or so I've read; I have no idea why it's considered a classic), however.

Legend's status derives from its comparative originality (making the protagonist an over-the-hill guy living in the shadow of his past was innovative in the mid-1980s: the Adversary is the attacking force, but Time is the actual enemy). Of course, Gemmell proceeded to reuse the same template over and over, but he managed to do so while remaining entertaining.

Are you implying that Gemmell isn't awesome? Coz Gemmell is awesome.

haha, like peter said, it's very debatable. As is Lynch, or anyone else.

I've only read Gemmell's Legend and some other books about some indestructible guy who kicked a lot of ass and so on. I might give the Troy series a shot one day, if i can squeeze it in.

New blog entry from Lynch:

http://scottlynch.us/blog/2013/03/18/the-republic-of-thieves/

When does The Republic of Thieves pick up chronologically?

The “present day” thread resumes the story a few weeks after the end of Red Seas Under Red Skies. The flashback thread shows several episodes from Locke’s early years, and then a long adventure from when Locke, Jean, and Sabetha were about sixteen.

Now that TRoT is in the bag, what are you doing?

My immediate project is to refinish a novella (another long overdue project) called The Mad Baron’s Mechanical Attic, which will be published by Subterranean Press.

Although TMBMA and its companion, The Choir of Knives, were conceived as prequels to The Lies of Locke Lamora, I have decided after lengthy reflection that I’m not willing to contribute another inessential prequel to our society’s towering heap of the damn things. Although I think TMBMA is a fun story with a great cast and setting, it ultimately revealed nothing surprising about Locke and Jean’s history and it stretched the boundaries of what I consider acceptable retconning. I have come to believe that prequels should cast some accepted facts of their universes in a new light, and I just didn’t have anything up my sleeve in that department.

What I am deeply interested in, however, is the further adventures of Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen now that I’ve recovered something of my ability to push them forward. Thus, I am retooling these novellas as a bridge story between the events of The Republic of Thieves and The Thorn of Emberlain, one that is entirely optional but hopefully enriching.

After that, I will resume work on The Thorn of Emberlain, already in progress.

Well, that does answer the question, in case anyone would have genuinely wondered about it, whether Locke would survive the next book or not.

Were there really people questioning this? After practically the entire crew got wiped out in LoLL, I pretty much figured that Locke and Jean would persist throughout as "The Gentleman Bastards." :dunno:

Archived