Preview of THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE

Werthead

GRRM teases with another WoIaF drawing

Now that's an Iron Thone. Havong seen the first season of the show before I read the books, my mind just never went there. The description of the steps and such made me think it was on some sort of podium. That one is fucking awesome.

it strikes me also that the difference between this Iron Throne and the show's mirrors the difference between the book series and the show.

Wow that looks pretty awesome. I do have to wonder though, if the representation of the Iron Throne is such a pet peeve of Martin's, why did he never describe the twisted stairs and the fact that it looks to be over 20 feet high?

ETA: The Iron Throne in my mind was always a lot closer in form to what the show gave us than that picture, though I started reading long before the show. The main thing that always annoyed me with the show's throne is that you could see each individual blade - it looked like they were all strapped together rather then melted. So my vision of the IT was the same general shape of the one in the show, but a lot more melded together.

I guess we'd never attributed the stairs to the throne as part of it; I hadn't anyway, always thought the stairs were part of... well, the floor :D

Same here. But I like how the stairs are apart of the throne.

This one and the other Marc Simonetti drawing are good representations of what GRRM had in mind.

The Iron Throne was always described as being partly melted and remelted, twisted, with a lot of sharp edges. We hear about King Scab (Aerys II), see how Joffrey cuts himself on the Iron Throne, and learned that Maegor was apparently killed by the Iron Throne.

So the way the show depicted really never was the way GRRM described or imagined it. I can't see anyone being killed by the Iron Throne, nor Aerys or Joffrey cutting themselves on its blades/sharp edges.

I guess we'd never attributed the stairs to the throne as part of it; I hadn't anyway, always thought the stairs were part of... well, the floor :D

I believe that's what we all thought. The IT here is larger, and the king sits high on it, working in the same mode as kneeling, the king is high above those who come before him. I just hate to see that "little sh!t" (Jon's words) Joffrey on the IT.

I believe that's what we all thought. The IT here is larger, and the king sits high on it, working in the same mode as kneeling, the king is high above those who come before him. I just hate to see that "little sh!t" (Jon's words) Joffrey on the IT.

It's funny when fans agree to something without even discussing it and we end up wrong. :)

Although, I have to say I don't think that's Joffrey. Why would the original material contain the drawings of characters based on likeness of the actors for the show?

The crown is a simple band (I am guessing in addition to Aegon I's 7 rubies), his attire is in black & red; I can't possibly imagine anyone but a Targaryen in a history book intended for Robert when Joffrey wasn't even an idea let alone a ruler. :)

Going for Aegon I. He had cropped hair (Amoka's portrait) and his attitude is serious (look at the way he leans on the sword).

We know the Reeds were the Marsh Kings around 3000-4000 years ago. I suspect there probably were Umber Kings as well, along with Bolton Kings and maybe some Barrow Kings (Dustins) and Rill Kings (Ryswells) too. And probably some other lineages who died out. All eventually conquered by the Starks though.

I wonder if we will find out anything more about the conflicts between the Starks and Iron Kings from the Isles? In how we do have the tale about how Rodrik Stark won Bear Island from them in a wrestling match. Thus, it is possible that the Ironborn controlled more pockets of the North that the Starks had to drive off.

It's funny when fans agree to something without even discussing it and we end up wrong. :)

Although, I have to say I don't think that's Joffrey. Why would the original material contain the drawings of characters based on likeness of the actors for the show?

The crown is a simple band (I am guessing in addition to Aegon I's 7 rubies), his attire is in black & red; I can't possibly imagine anyone but a Targaryen in a history book intended for Robert when Joffrey wasn't even an idea let alone a ruler. :)

Going for Aegon I. He had cropped hair (Amoka's portrait) and his attitude is serious (look at the way he leans on the sword).

You got it! (thanks indeed )

Archived