Preview of THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE

Werthead

From what GRRM's said, I gather it'll be The Silmarillion to WoIaF's say, Illustrated Tolkien Companion. WoIaF will give us a good and somewhat detailed overview, and the GRRM-arillion will go into much greater detail on individual events. So if there's 70,000 words on the Dance of Dragons, I can imagine say 50,000 words on Aegon's invasion and 30,000 on the Blackfyre Rebellion etc.

However, since the GRRM-arillion is coming out after the whole series is concluded, that would theoretically allow GRRM to expand on a lot of elements - the Others, the Children of the Forest, the greenseers, the building of the Wall, the crazy seasons - which would currently be spoilers. Whether he would or not, I don't know (and he's indicated he wants the vague legends to stay legends, but that doesn't mean we won't get more detailed versions of some of those legends, like just how Lann the Clever got the Casterlys out of Casterly Rock?).

I've been wanting to know about how that was going to work out. They say that there are maesters in oldtown who question the entire history regarding ancient times such as the Dawn Age, and Age of Heroes. The Worldbook isn't going to expound on that. Just let us know, in a complete form as avalibale, what's been accepted as the account from the ancient past through the citadel's researching.

I wasn't at all sure about taking what the archmaesters want us to know, as fact.

As annticipated as this intriguing Worldbook is going to be, I am very satisfied to know that eventualy we will know what GRRM true story of the past Ages is.

Eventually. Probably another decade. Or so.

I don't think this has been posted on this forum before, or reported by fans who attended (sorry if i'm mistaken)

more "teasers" regarding dance of the dragons

specifically westerosi historiography, he's mentioning some books that westerosi historians used as primary sources

"the tesimony of Mushroom", etc.

video:

first few minutes, after that are just never before asked questions about influence of the war of the roses, nature of seasons, etc.

and something on historiography about age of heroes at 12:45

I do not know if this information can be provided, but if so I would love to know if Jim Burns has been commissioned to provide artwork; the more artwork in this book that belongs to Jim, the better. Really love his whole style. And John Howe. And Marc Fishman.

Whether it is or not, and I am not really complaining, but if a majority of the art is from a lot of the people responsible for the FFG images I might be a bit disappointed I imagine. I thought a lot of that was pretty bland.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ran, this may have been asked before, but will we get any new information on the Dragonlords of Valyria besides the Targs? I am really really curious about who the most powerful of the Dragonlords were, and just what they were capable of at the extreme ends of their power. (Though it also raises the question for me of how the ones at that extreme end of power didn't see the Doom coming nor survive it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived