Preview of THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE

Werthead

I wonder if we will find out anything more about the conflicts between the Starks and Iron Kings from the Isles? In how we do have the tale about how Rodrik Stark won Bear Island from them in a wrestling match. Thus, it is possible that the Ironborn controlled more pockets of the North that the Starks had to drive off.

Well Bear Island could be held because it is an island, cut off from the Northern Mainland. And Brandon the Burner had burnt the North's fleets. I doubt the Ironborn could hold any significant areas on the mainland North for any lengthy period of time. They can't match the army size of the North, and therefore any area that is accessible by land would have seen the Northmen evict the Ironborn fairly speedily.

That's Aegon I probably. The "dress" is actually a cape, the two black line are his legs.

Then the sword is probably Blackfyre.

It probably is Aegon I as they still have the Targ dragons on the floor tiles.

It's funny when fans agree to something without even discussing it and we end up wrong. :)

Although, I have to say I don't think that's Joffrey. Why would the original material contain the drawings of characters based on likeness of the actors for the show?

The crown is a simple band (I am guessing in addition to Aegon I's 7 rubies), his attire is in black & red; I can't possibly imagine anyone but a Targaryen in a history book intended for Robert when Joffrey wasn't even an idea let alone a ruler. :)

Going for Aegon I. He had cropped hair (Amoka's portrait) and his attitude is serious (look at the way he leans on the sword).

I am curious where the 7 rubies info comes from. The SSM description only says "big square-cut rubies," with no mention of the number.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Targaryen_Kings/

The square-cut rubies are not specified, but the gems in Jaehaerys' I crown (which is also worn by Viserys I and Rhaenyra) are seven, symbolizing the Seven Kingdoms.

• 4 weeks later...

New blurb from Amazon.com:

If the past is prologue, then George R. R. Martin’s masterwork—the most inventive and entertaining fantasy saga of our time—warrants one hell of an introduction. At long last, it has arrived with The World of Ice and Fire.

This lavishly illustrated volume is a comprehensive history of the Seven Kingdoms, providing vividly constructed accounts of the epic battles, bitter rivalries, and daring rebellions that lead to the events of A Song of Ice and Fire and HBO’s Game of Thrones. In a collaboration that’s been years in the making, Martin has teamed with Elio M. García, Jr., and Linda Antonsson, the founders of the renowned fan site Westeros.org—perhaps the only people who know this world almost as well as its visionary creator.

Collected here is all the accumulated knowledge, scholarly speculation, and inherited folk tales of maesters and septons, maegi and singers. It is a chronicle which stretches from the Dawn Age to the Age of Heroes; from the Coming of the First Men to the arrival of Aegon the Conqueror; from Aegon’s establishment of the Iron Throne to Robert’s Rebellion and the fall of the Mad King, Aerys II Targaryen, which has set into motion the “present-day” struggles of the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Targaryens. The definitive companion piece to George R. R. Martin’s dazzlingly conceived universe, The World of Ice and Fire is indeed proof that the pen is mightier than a storm of swords.

http://www.amazon.co...tag=westeros-20

"The Princess and the Queen" is a condensed, heavily edited version of a much longer text devoted to describing the Dance of the Dragons. That same text has been used as a source for an account of the Dance that covers more events and characters, with a wider focus, than TPatQ.

The full and original text from which TPatQ has been drawn may one day be published in "GRRMarillion", as George and his editor are presently calling it, at some future date. But right now, TPatQ is the closest you'll get to reading that text... while TWoIaF will be the closest you'll get to getting all the details from that text.

"The Princess and the Queen" is a condensed, heavily edited version of a much longer text devoted to describing the Dance of the Dragons. That same text has been used as a source for an account of the Dance that covers more events and characters, with a wider focus, than TPatQ.

The full and original text from which TPatQ has been drawn may one day be published in "GRRMarillion", as George and his editor are presently calling it, at some future date. But right now, TPatQ is the closest you'll get to reading that text... while TWoIaF will be the closest you'll get to getting all the details from that text.

Thanks

Old article, don't pay it too much mind. There's no official publiciation date right now. That said, the publication date will depend on some factors beyond our control, such as whatever the boffins in accounting think will be the ideal sale date.

Old article, don't pay it too much mind. There's no official publiciation date right now. That said, the publication date will depend on some factors beyond our control, such as whatever the boffins in accounting think will be the ideal sale date.

Did you say it was the artwork you were waiting for?

GRRM has already indicated on his NAB that this GRRMarillion stuff is supposed to be published in a future volume. Ran, any hint as what stuff can we expect in there? Is this primarily more details on all the stuff the Worldbook is going to give a broader overview, or is stuff in there (meaning certain major events, eras, wars, and the like) that is completely being excluded from the Worldbook?

GRRM has already indicated on his NAB that this GRRMarillion stuff is supposed to be published in a future volume. Ran, any hint as what stuff can we expect in there? Is this primarily more details on all the stuff the Worldbook is going to give a broader overview, or is stuff in there (meaning certain major events, eras, wars, and the like) that is completely being excluded from the Worldbook?

From what GRRM's said, I gather it'll be The Silmarillion to WoIaF's say, Illustrated Tolkien Companion. WoIaF will give us a good and somewhat detailed overview, and the GRRM-arillion will go into much greater detail on individual events. So if there's 70,000 words on the Dance of Dragons, I can imagine say 50,000 words on Aegon's invasion and 30,000 on the Blackfyre Rebellion etc.

However, since the GRRM-arillion is coming out after the whole series is concluded, that would theoretically allow GRRM to expand on a lot of elements - the Others, the Children of the Forest, the greenseers, the building of the Wall, the crazy seasons - which would currently be spoilers. Whether he would or not, I don't know (and he's indicated he wants the vague legends to stay legends, but that doesn't mean we won't get more detailed versions of some of those legends, like just how Lann the Clever got the Casterlys out of Casterly Rock?).

• 3 weeks later...

That's a bit overstating, he wasn't described as highly ineffective, it was that the rain dampened his fires, but couldn't quench them entirely. Also, as revealed in the first World of Ice and Fire, Rhaenys's dragon Meraxes, was just as deadly on the ground as in the air during a rain storm, and Balerion is bigger than Meraxes and could have proved to be just as, if not more, effective.

I do agree, however, that the blizzards in the North would significantly hinder Dany's dragons.

The first World of Ice and Fire?

Archived