Pate is... Pate?

Winterz

And no, this is not a reference of Pate, the alchemist.

We have several Pates in ASOIAF, but I'm rather intrigued about two of them. Pate, the Night's Watch builder from the first book and Pate of Maidenpool, also a builder of the NW. In the Wiki we have an article for each and though Pate seems like a common name in this Universe, both being members of the Night's Watch, builders and stationed in Castle Black, seems like a lot of coincidence for me.

Should these articles be merged? Or does anyone have evidence of these subjects not being the same individual?

And no, this is not a reference of Pate, the alchemist.

We have several Pates in ASOIAF, but I'm rather intrigued about two of them. Pate, the Night's Watch builder from the first book and Pate of Maidenpool, also a builder of the NW. In the Wiki we have an article for each and though Pate seems like a common name in this Universe, both being members of the Night's Watch, builders and stationed in Castle Black, seems like a lot of coincidence for me.

Should these articles be merged? Or does anyone have evidence of these subjects not being the same individual?

There is no reason to think they are the same person so in line with this suggestion http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/36634-list-of-characters/page__p__1800742__hl__sacrilege__fromsearch__1#entry1800742 that was followed, they have their own pages.

Sir, did you even read what I said? No reason?!

1. Named Pate
  2. Night's Watch members
  3. Builders acquainted with Jon
  4. Stationed at Castle Black

The page you gave is about mentioning conjectural articles which this isn't.

It's because there was no way to make sure. If there was no way to make sure, then he got another page. This was to prevent spoilers added to a character that wasn't in the future books. Sure this might be a lone case where they might be the same person, but for the sake of consistency they got separate pages. If you want to make sure, submit a question to George and then send it to Ran so it can be referenced. Otherwise without circumstantial evidence, all your doing is guessing.

• 1 year later...

Sir, did you even read what I said? No reason?!

• Named Pate

Night's Watch members

Builders acquainted with Jon

Stationed at Castle Black

The page you gave is about mentioning conjectural articles which this isn't.

1. Named Garth

2. Night's Watch members

3. Rangers acquainted with Jon

4. Stationed at Castle Black..

See where this is going? They're not the same Garth's.. Yes, there's quite a bit of evidence to support these two Pate's to be the same, but as you said - it's a common name.

Archived