The Unholy Consult Previews 2: Murder Shae Wrote

Rhom

Meppa turning out to be Xinemus would be so awesome. But I think he is probably a new character- there's too many problems with the Xinemus theory. We're told he dies (by Achamian no less), and he goes crazy after being tortured. Neither of which fit with him becoming a Cishaurim.

mep is obviously achaman, but only when he's dreaming fanish dreams. there's no textual evidence for this thesis, which of course only makes it more likely.

Heheheheh. I kind[a] hope Meppa's real name is a strong hint toward one of the boarders. I'm sort of surprised there hasn't been a badger attacking Akka in any of the books yet.

unJon - Yes you're correct I had forgotten that he wasn't the one talking during that meeting.

By the way here is the quote about Cish numbers:

The Cishaurim, according to their [the Spires'] informants in Shimeh and Nenciphon, could field at most one hundred to one hundred and twenty ranking psûkhari, very near the number the number of sorcerers of rank the Scarlet Spires itself could field.

I know I've mentioned this before, but their glee over killing 12 Cish with no losses and the revelation that 100-120 is pretty close to SS numbers (at maybe 125-130?) makes the non-mention of twenty dead Cish at Zirkirta even stranger, since without those losses the Spires would be at a major disadvantage.

Also, it's hard to tell how many die prior to Shimeh, but as near as I can tell it's:

- 12 confirmed Cish and several more (2-5 probably) in Caraskand - 12-17 total

- 2 Spires killed by Akka in the library, 6 at Anwurat, 2 more at the Library, and 15 between the desert and the plague at Caraskand - 25 total

Regarding the dispersion of the Cishaurim, at Mengedda Iyokus thinks most of the twelve dead Cish were Tertiaries or Secondaries with "perhaps" 1-2 Primaries. Since these were all available in Gedea it suggests that they may have been stationed in Iothiah or elsewhere in Shigek, since at this point most of the southern Fanim were not yet present to battle the Inrithi.

Wrath, I'd have to go digging but I'm pretty sure that it's mentioned in the omnipresent 3rd-person war narrative that the Padirajah sent them [the Cishaurim] to Skauras, specifically to use as the Scarlet Spires weren't with the Armies of the North.

Just offering evidence - [otherwise] I'm fully of the opinion that Moenghus was capable with the Psukhe, definitely more than the story/Kellhus led us to believe, perhaps even as talented as Kellhus becomes with the Gnosis.

I find it hard to believe that Moenghus wasn't experimenting with the capabilities of his followers, even if he himself was hindered by Dunyain indoctrination. [He'd certainly have a sect because his interpretation of the Witness of Fane would have been peerless.]

there's no textual evidence for this thesis, which of course only makes it more likely.

I see you've been reading the posts of Bran Vras again. ;)
are we expecting, then, a new villain at agongorea named ak'rakkamun?
Just what did BAKKer mean when AKKA revealed that Anaxophus' nickname is AnAKKA! !!!

He'd certainly have a sect because his interpretation of the Witness of Fane would have been peerless.

Speaking of that, noticed this last night. It seems that according to the Witness of Fane the faithful will be totally destroyed at the ends of the earth. And their idols will be shattered (is this Meppa's purpose to sack the defenseless Inrithi cities, destroying all idols?) And the demon/gods will all starve for lack of souls to nom.

If Moe was trying to get Kellhus to fulfill the prophecy of the Witness of Fane for him, he seems to be doing a good job of it, judging by the success of the Great Ordeal, thus far. Perhaps he lost the battle of Shimeh to win the world?

… the ends of the earth shall be wracked by the howls of the wicked, and the idols shall be cast down and shattered, stone against stone. And the demons of the idolaters shall hold open their mouths, like starving lepers, for no man living will answer their outrageous hunger.

—16: 4: 22 THE WITNESS OF FANE

Though you lose your soul, you shall win the world.

—MANDATE CATECHISM

Bakker, R. Scott (2008-09-02). The Warrior Prophet: The Prince of Nothing, Book Two, Chapter 12 (Kindle Locations 5150-5155). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.

If Moe was trying to get Kellhus to fulfill the prophecy of the Witness of Fane for him, he seems to be doing a good job of it, judging by the success of the Great Ordeal, thus far. Perhaps he lost the battle of Shimeh to win the war?

How is Kellhus starving the gods?

Anyone have a theory of why Moe was in TDTCB in the city (forget the name) where the Holt War was gathering? He must have had a purpose or some ground he was conditioning? It's obviously not necessary for him to go, any sufficiently strong Cish would work.

Did he met with his half Dunyain son? Was he checking that Kel made it there? Any ideas?

Well, Mallahet was there so the Cishaurim-nodes could facilitate communication between Skauras and Xerius - aside, this is one of my favorite aspects of Earwa and the incarceration of the Nansur at Joktha in TTT. Without Sorcerers, the mundane empires would have to rely on horse, bird, or worse, runners, for their communication... I wonder how that played out in the Scholastic Wars.

But I agree unJon, Moenghus'd certainly have been maximizing his ends at Momemn. The problem is the timing. He's in Momemn before the Vulgar Holy War even marches. He couldn't have seen Kellhus - and Maithanet is allegedly in Sumna - though, nothing to stop Moenghus from taking a ride on the road - do the Cishaurim really get around by their snakes?

It's obviously not necessary for him to go, any sufficiently strong Cish would work.

Hm… I’m not even sure other Cish know. It’s a betrayal negotiated between Skauras and Xerius, but it could be pure blasphemy to cede Fanim lands to the heathen.

HE, that's speculation, right?

I'd have to reread that conversation but the only reason I can see Skauras acting outside the Padirajah's direction is because the Padirajah denies him troops. Yet Skauras acts as if he could crush Xerius himself.

You know, as I'm thinking these things through I have to wonder if Moenghus sincerely wanted the Holy War to lose...

The badger would more likely attack Kellhus and be summarily destroyed before Kellhus gave an inspiring speech to the Great Ordeal about how vengeance is their birthright and the noblest of causes.

Nah, Bakker isn't vindictive. He'd much rather have Kellhus tame the badger and have the badger serve him loyally for all his days.

I'd have to reread that conversation but the only reason I can see Skauras acting outside the Padirajah's direction is because the Padirajah denies him troops.

The Padirajah is not the Heresiarch. I find it completely plausible that Cishaurim High Command is not informed about this ploy. (But it’s utter speculation, of course.)

Don't Conphas and Fayanal strike a bargain in TTT? Suggests to me that the decisions to cede land to the Nansur was made at the official levels.

I suspect Big Moe had a hand in this. He after all is probably the most gifted political intellect in Fanim lands. Which, of course, is why the Incandati pretended he was among their number.

He needed respect to be a political heavyweight. Ideally Meppa, as one of Big Moe's faction among the Cish, will as Madness says give us some insight into what Big Moe was up to during the years he conditioned ground as Mallahet.

Lol. Spiritual vs. Temporal power (Heresiarch vs. Padirajah) in Fanim territories?

I think it matters if Moenghus facilitates secular aims over religious, whether Skauras commits blasphemy over treason, and whether their plays are motivated from their respective higher ups or not?

Though, Sci's point above is a good one that Fanayal and Conphas striking the same bargain speaks to vested interests in the strategy?

Indeed, Sci. I would say that ;). +1. Again, I wonder if Moenghus didn't always intend for a Fanim over Inrithi Three-Seas...

Has it ever been made clear what spiritual power the Cish possess? We know, via Meppa, that they believe that only adherence to the Solitary God offers salvation.

But beyond that do they actually give sermons? Advise Fanim aristocracy?

Archived