Emmy Game of Thrones Webcast

Westeros

It will be VERY interesting to see whether Jon's parentage comes up in Season 3, as there are possibilities for it to be an issue both when Bran talks to the Reeds and potentially with Arya and the BWB, if they have someone fulfill the Harwin/Ned Dayne roles to any extent.

Let's think about this for a moment.

People that have sat on the throne already:

1. Robert Baretheon

2. Eddard Stark

3. Joffrey Baretheon

4. Tywin Lannister(can't remember if he actually does sub for Joffrey in the books, it's never show from what I recall, but he certainly subbed for Tommen)

5. Tommen Baretheon

6. Mace Tyrell

so that's a decent list through 5 books. We can expect a couple more I'm sure.

My biggest gripe with the show is that it's excluded (I know its because of time and budget concerns) the entire mystery behind the story. The mystery of the Targaryens, of Jon Snow, and the prophecies of things to come. Its a huge part of the books and it seems completely absent from the show. Even the house of undying was completely changed. It makes conversations with people that only watch the show kinda sad...

No one cares about someone just sitting on the throne for a day. Clearly what is meant is someone actually being the ruler. Thus far on the show, only Robert B. and Joffrey meet that criteria. Just because Ned filled in for Bob for a day and his butt was on the iron, it doesn't mean he counts for what GRRM is talking about.

My biggest gripe with the show is that it's excluded (I know its because of time and budget concerns) the entire mystery behind the story. The mystery of the Targaryens, of Jon Snow, and the prophecies of things to come. Its a huge part of the books and it seems completely absent from the show. Even the house of undying was completely changed. It makes conversations with people that only watch the show kinda sad...

It would give too much away. Seeing it visually is much stronger than reading about it in snippets. We have them means to discuss every syllable of ever book to death via internet forums, TV must be more subtle about it.

No one cares about someone just sitting on the throne for a day. Clearly what is meant is someone actually being the ruler. Thus far on the show, only Robert B. and Joffrey meet that criteria. Just because Ned filled in for Bob for a day and his butt was on the iron, it doesn't mean he counts for what GRRM is talking about.

Exactly.

He was actually talking to three actors/actresses before the event happened and realized that he'd killed all their characters in his books.

I think Kit will have an easier time reading DwD since he's actually in the book instead of just in one chapter like Feast.

~~~~~

There was another thing I found interesting. When GRRM said that more characters in the show were dead compared to the books. Besides Quarth I can't really think of too many examples of people alive in the books that aren't in the show. Am I forgetting some?

There are substitute examples I suppose like:

Tickler

I quite agree, of the major characters in two seasons none.

There was also

Ser Amory was finished off in another way in CoK , so he was a substitution.

The Tickler is only one I can think of, if D and D are going to fabricate character the interrogator in season one could have been given a different name. I guess , if they keep three antagonists in the Arya-Dog Inn-Fight they will need a new invented character.

Can't be talking about the three Stark soldiers killed by Brienne in episode 10, they go totally unnamed.

In fact that seems to a sequence pulled from FoC or ADwD which makes think that scene will not appear in season 5 or 6 or whatever... in fact I am expecting Brienne's adventures after KL to be restructured.

There were Doreah and Irri , well Irri who is still there in ADwD. Jhiqui has utterly vanished we never saw her killed or what? They had speaking parts but it still seems odd that D and D changed this in the show, they were part of Dany's connection to the Dothraki and did not seem like clutter at all.

I forgot Duck Sauce , well that's kind of shaggy dog story in ADwD so what the heck.

(He might come back, just where did that vault go?

Unless George knows something about season 3 we don't.

Who would you like to see on the Iron Throne

Sophie Turner: "Robb, because he's very good at the politics"

:) I literally fell off my chair

ETA: I like 10x more when she's not playing Catelyn

It's a miracle the book readers managed to keep a straight face. :lol:

It would give too much away. Seeing it visually is much stronger than reading about it in snippets. We have them means to discuss every syllable of ever book to death via internet forums, TV must be more subtle about it.

Yes. No point focusing on it now given the payback wouldn't be for years. If they start mentioning Oberyn in S3, we will begin to learn more about the history. S4 will add a further layer, while Aegon in later seasons will just increase that further.

Although amusingly, I remember after the first couple of episodes people said they over-focused on Jon's parentage.

Meera and Jojen know about Jon's parents, since their father was with Ned at the ToJ. We might hear it hinted at through them this season.

Of course

Tommen dies. Everyone who marries Margaery dies without having sex with her.

As for R+L = J, and Dany ever sitting the IT :

So....yeah. The first several times I watched Season 2, especially ep 10, I, like many, kept thinking of all the things missing, even though I know they weren't possible without being both massively spoilerish and completely confusing to non-book readers. Still I didn't realize how much I was allowing that to cloud my judgement, and blind me from what was right there on the screen.

Then last night, after rewatching all of season 2 in prep for 3, and just to get my fix while these last two weeks crawl by, I finally just watched it, for it's own sake, just to enjoy the episode, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. We got a LOT of visions, and prophecies:

• KL is a burned-out ruin, along the lines of Harrenhall. (Dragons.)

• KL is a uselss husk and therefore, unimportant.

• (Jon) Snow on the Iron Throne

• Dany reaches for, but doesn't touch The Iron Throne - it will never be her's (directly), she has more important things to attend to (those she loves, which at the moment, are her dragons.)

• Dany must go beyond The Wall to find her Sun(Son)-and-Stars (Jon)

• Dany's Sun/Son-and-Stars is not dead, though many believe him to be. (Jon.) (Also she believes she is now unable to have a child.... but really can, as long as she finds Jon, north of The Wall.)

• Is that the state Dany will find Jon (the rightful heir to the the 7K) in when she arrives? (I hope not, since that will blow for Jon for what might be a long while.)

• "Until the Sun rises in the West, and sets in the East, until the rivers run dry, and the mountains blow like leaves in the wind...." kind of describes the frozen tundra of the north polar region (where every direction is south so east and west are wherever you really want them to be, the sun never sets or rises in summer, the rivers are dry with ice, and there is nothing but mountains of blowing snow.)

I am now, more than ever, convinced that R+L = J, especially after reading, and them repeating at the emmycast, that when D&D met GRRM the frist time, George asked them, "Who is Jon Snow's mother?" They answered, and George agreed to work with them.

I don't know that Meera and Jojen know for certain about Jon's parents.

They absolutely know that the story of Lyanna being kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar is false, but I tend to straddle the line as to whether or not their father revealed that their secret romance actually produced a child (assuming that it did, which is the theory I prescribe to myself.)

Nevertheless I hope they at least talk about The Knight of the Laughing Tree story because that was one of my favorite chapters in the entire series.

As for Dany's visions in the house of the undying in the show ...

I immediately caught onto the whole "Dany reaches for the Iron Throne but doesn't touch it at the last minute and emerges from underneath the wall instead" as a huge hint that she's destined to defeat the others, not take the Iron Throne.

I completely missed the whole "snow (or Snow (Jon)" sitting on the Iron throne. That's a far subtler hint (and it could still suggest the Great Other sits the Iron Throne/Winter will finally reach King's Landing and destory everyone) ... but the reference to Snow (Jon) on the Iron Throne could very well fit too.

I'm still not sure I prescribe to the theory that Dany and Jon are destined to be together romantically in the end. I'm pretty sure one of them has to die in the fight against the others and my money's on Dany in the end.

Let's not forget the original "Iron Throne" teasers either. I always found it interesting that they would include Jon with Ghost on the Iron Throne. Everyone else featured in those teasers (Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Ned, Catelyn, Daenerys, Little Finger, Robert) certainly seemed like contenders but Jon is by no means an obvious contender at this point, even in the books.

I'm really hoping the introduction of the Reeds will help bring in some of those prophecies. They at least talk about AA though. If

Bariston

does indeed return to serve Dany then we have the potential to learn more about the Targaryens. I also hope Cersei's "Volonqar" prophesy is brought up in the show because it certainly sheds more light on her hatred of Tyrion and her belief that he's out to kill her children.

I don't know that Meera and Jojen know for certain about Jon's parents.

They absolutely know that the story of Lyanna being kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar is false, but I tend to straddle the line as to whether or not their father revealed that their secret romance actually produced a child (assuming that it did, which is the theory I prescribe to myself.)

Nevertheless I hope they at least talk about The Knight of the Laughing Tree story because that was one of my favorite chapters in the entire series.

As for Dany's visions in the house of the undying in the show ...

I immediately caught onto the whole "Dany reaches for the Iron Throne but doesn't touch it at the last minute and emerges from underneath the wall instead" as a huge hint that she's destined to defeat the others, not take the Iron Throne.

I completely missed the whole "snow (or Snow (Jon)" sitting on the Iron throne. That's a far subtler hint (and it could still suggest the Great Other sits the Iron Throne/Winter will finally reach King's Landing and destory everyone) ... but the reference to Snow (Jon) on the Iron Throne could very well fit too.

I'm still not sure I prescribe to the theory that Dany and Jon are destined to be together romantically in the end. I'm pretty sure one of them has to die in the fight against the others and my money's on Dany in the end.

Let's not forget the original "Iron Throne" teasers either. I always found it interesting that they would include Jon with Ghost on the Iron Throne. Everyone else featured in those teasers (Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Ned, Catelyn, Daenerys, Little Finger, Robert) certainly seemed like contenders but Jon is by no means an obvious contender at this point, even in the books.

As for

The Great Other

sitting on the Iron Throne -

I don't think the White Walkers nor

The Great Other give a flying fuck about the Iron Throne. I think their end game is much bigger.

I'm really hoping the introduction of the Reeds will help bring in some of those prophecies. They at least talk about AA though. If

Bariston

does indeed return to serve Dany then we have the potential to learn more about the Targaryens. I also hope Cersei's "Volonqar" prophesy is brought up in the show because it certainly sheds more light on her hatred of Tyrion and her belief that he's out to kill her children.

Yeah.... surely they've got to bring that up eventually, hopefully soon. I hope they don't skip that, but they're not much for flashbacks.

Archived