Asshai?

Ded As Ned

This has probably been discussed already (I can't seem to figure out how to search only this subforum), but is there any chance of learning more about Asshai in tWoIaF?

I know the book is Westeros-centric, but really any tidbits would be awesome.

Asshai is located about 6,000 miles east of Westeros, so yeah, quite a long way. The prologue to the World Book does mention Asshai as having ancient knowledge, on a par with the Ghiscari or the First Men, which may be a hint that Asshai is extremely ancient.

From the maps it seems Essos and Ulthos both goes much further east into unknown lands after Asshai. The theory that you can sail from Asshai eastwards and reach western Westeros in a relatively short time I think is false, I think that way is much longer than just going west.

If that is in the verge of terra incognita, what of Ulthos? Doesn't it expand to further east?

GRRM did give a little more information on Ulthos on his blog. He said it was at the borderline of size between an island and a continent, seemingly confirming that it is a distinct landmass (rather than a separate part of Essos or Sothoryos).

So perhaps Ulthos is a small continent like Australia?

:agree:

knowing that, and assuming it's a round planet... Imagine the zone between America and Asia. Knowing that Alaska and Siberia have connected in the past... And that the Winter has come...

We've a tiny bit more detail about Asshai in the book, but it's on the verge of terra incognita, so that's all.

Will you have a picture of Asshai? Silly question but I've always wondered what the city actually looks like

Melisandre had a single POV in book 5. She is from Asshai. If she gets more POVs, it might reveal a bit more about her homeland and maybe even reference Ulthos.

I don't think she's from Asshai so much as she lived/studied/learned how to magik there for a time. She seems well-traveled. I figure we'll get some more tidbits about Asshai in the coming novels... my OP was regarding the world book specifically...

Damn it! Are we going to get some more info on Valyria or The Others or The Long Night?

I would think all of those are likely to get more info than Asshai in the world book... well at least Valyria. I imagine any big reveals about the Others / Long Night would probably be in the novels, but what do I know? I'm sure Ran can give a more definitive answer than I.

Archived