"All I see is Snow."

)-(urley

In ADWD when Jon asks Mel of Stannis in her POV, she replies, "All I see is Snow." Of course, this capital S is significant and Jon, with a different POV than us, doesn't catch it and assumes she is talking about the snowstorm outside. Most readers have assumed that all she saw in her fires was him, Jon Snow. However, we know of one other Snow of much relevance to Stannis; could Mel have seen Ramsay?

No, in the first place it was Devan who asked, in the second place Mel said it to herself, and in the third place she was complaining about the fact that she was trying to see what Stannis was up to and all she could see was Jon Snow.

You better re-read that page. She was talking about Jon Snow the whole time, not the snowstorm. She's talking about how she is looking for Stannis to see how he's doing and she just saw Jon Snow. I believe it was the one where she saw Jon then Ghost then Jon again.

You better re-read that page. She was talking about Jon Snow the whole time, not the snowstorm. She's talking about how she is looking for Stannis to see how he's doing and she just saw Jon Snow. I believe it was the one where she saw Jon then Ghost then Jon again.

Welcome to the forums :cheers:

ADwD pg 652

"you see fools in your fire, but no hint of Stannis?"

"when I search for him all I see is snow."

The same useless answer...

Skip a couple of paragraphs (not useful here)

Jon had heard all this before. "Stannis Baratheon was the Lord of Dragonstone, but he was not born there. He was born at Storm's End, like his brothers." He frowned. "And what of Mance? Is he lost as well? What do your fires show?"

"The same, I fear. Only snow."

Is this the passage you were talking about? It is a conversation w/ Jon that is not in her POV chapter and snow is not capitalized either time she says it here... Ok found the passage you were talking about you may be mixing up the two incidents:

ADwD pg 408

"What do you see, my lady?" the boy asked, softly.

Skulls, A thousand skulls, and the bastard boy again. Jon Snow. Whenever she was asked what she saw within her fires, Melisandre would answer, "Much and more," but seeing was never as simple as those words suggested. It was an art, and like all arts it demanded mastery, discipline, study. Pain. That too. R'hllor spoke to his chosen ones through blessed fire, in a language of ash and cinder and twisting flame that only a god could truly grasp. Melisandre had practiced her art for years beyond count, and she had paid the price. There was noone, even in her order, who had her skill at seeing the secrets half-revealed and half-concealed within the sacred flames.

Yet now she could not even seem to find her king. I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow.

So she is speaking w/ Devan (though this line comes from her thoughts). It is pretty self explanatory when you add the surrounding paragraphs for context ie the one above, the flames are suggesting Jon Snow may be AA reborn... I don't see any way we could think it suggests Ramsey, who is btw no longer a "Snow" but has been legitamized by the Iron Throne.

Thanks for the quote, Ser Endrew; now, I don't need to open my book. :P

Mel with Jon:

Mel probably saw that a literal snow will prevent Stannis from getting to WF. We know this as true. He and his men got stuck somewhere in the North, and many of them were starving and dying. Same thing was happening on Ramsay's camp, where Mance and company were.

Mel with Devan:

I believe Mel was talking about Jon, not Ramsay, though both are bastard and a Snow (except Ramsay just got legitimized). Lately, the fires were showing her a lot of Jon Snow and she was trying to get him trust her. Sometimes she misread the fires, but that time with Devan, she clearly saw Jon and she even mentioned his name in full.

Unless Ramsey turns out to be AA, lol.

Oh, dear R'hllor, have mercy!

Archived