LonCon 3 2014

I think it's only going to be only 10 pounds more, so no great harm done if you wait, I think.

http://www.loncon3.org/news_090913.php

So, how about my question?

(where the hell is the pound symbol on one's keyboard anyway? God, you'd think this is the first time I'm typing something, I'm having the weirdest day)

Silly question from a WorldCon n00b, what do you guys use as your Badge names, is it first names, Board names, what?

I've not been to a WorldCon yet, but at other conventions there seems to be a mix. Some people use their real name, some their board name (perhaps this was the most common), some people put both on the badge. I think you can usually change it until they've printed the badge, if you change your mind.

where the hell is the pound symbol on one's keyboard anyway?

On a UK keyboard it's on the '3' key, but presumably most other keyboard layouts don't have it.

Min, check out the installment plan. that should stop the price going up and mean you pay less right now.

Mash I normally put Pebble. but as Williamjm said real name / board name / combination of both are all common.

I worked the Reg desk at Montreal worldcon, and before we handed out the badges you had a chance to change it then. so use whatever you are comfortable with.

oh and I have a £ sign and a $ sign, but obviously the Euro is not considered important enough over here to be worthy of our keyboards. I'd guess the reverse is true for Greek keyboards.

Your con badge is basically how you're going to identify yourself, not only to other BwB but to total strangers a lot of the time. So what you put on it should probably be however you would introduce yourself to people. Simple as that.

Anyone know what the increased price will be after Oct 1? I can't entirely afford it this month but if I'll be saving some significant amount of money like £50 then I can probably scrape the cash - but, I don't want to do this if it's only going up by £20 or so.

Why not do the installment plan? You register as a supporting member then sign up for the installment plan. The first installment is (I think) £25. Then you split the remaining payment and pay in quarterly installments. But you'll freeze the cost at the current price by applying now. I think it's a marvellous idea.

I use my real name on con badges (except Titancon), but more people there will know me by my real name than my board name at a guess. Also, accurate info provision is my job.

Loncon3 now has 4000 members of whom 3000 are adult attending members. Eek.

I use Adz and my first name. Or my first name and Adz. ;)

And when I introduce myself I always pronounce Claudia with an English/American accent instead of the usual (German) way. Don't know why I do that... :leaving:

ETA

probably because few people can say it right anyway. :P

:leaving:

I put my real name on badges. At the first two cons I went to (Boskone and LA World Con in 2006), I wrote "Mr. X" on the badge in Sharpie, but haven't bothered with that ever since.

Do you use vowels? ;)

[The board formatting really has gone a bit funny, hasn't it?]

Your con badge is basically how you're going to identify yourself, not only to other BwB but to total strangers a lot of the time. So what you put on it should probably be however you would introduce yourself to people. Simple as that.

Within the first day or two of a Worldcon, your badge will probably acquire ribbons that will make it easy to identify you as a BWBer.

Not to mention t-shirts and other garb. And the secret handshake, but I'm not supposed to mention that.

In short, We Know Our Own.

So you don't need to depend purely on your badge for identification within the BWB. And, as Mormont points out, your badge has other work to do as well.

The keystrokes for the Pounds Sterling symbol are Alt 0163. The keystrokes for the Euro symbol are Alt 0128.

See, my time in international business has not been wasted......

Thanks! Works for me! :bowdown:

Damnit! Due to the bastard Glasgow Commonwealth Games next summer, my work has pretty much cancelled all July annual leave. This means more people applying for June/August leave, and x1 too many have applied for the dates I need for worldcon. I won't know if I can come until we pull names out of a hat.

:<

Archived