LonCon 3 2014

I used my real name and then my board game next to it. The guy who registered me had no computer skills and was unable to put my board game under my real name. It looked stupid but what the heck. I just want people to know my real name as I am meeting them in RL. :D

Damnit! Due to the bastard Glasgow Commonwealth Games next summer, my work has pretty much cancelled all July annual leave. This means more people applying for June/August leave, and x1 too many have applied for the dates I need for worldcon. I won't know if I can come until we pull names out of a hat.

:<

Goodluck, ah if only you where independent and quit the commonwealth as well. I hope you can still make it. If you have allready bought membership then if the worst happens you should have no problem selling it.

If you haven't got one yet, you have a while until the next price hike so hopefully time to find out.

I've not bought anything yet, was waiting until the leave book for next year opened up. I didn't expect there to be a problem though.

To rub salt in the wounds, I'd volunteered to help with the policing of the games in my (unpaid) capacity as a special constable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think I'm going to be able to make this one. :( It's just too late in the summer, and god knows that if I miss some of the boring district-mandated professional development I'll fail at being able to put my kids in a circle, or something. I am hoping to travel to London anyway, but probably at least a week earlier than the con. If anyone else is planning to get in early let me know, it'd be nice to see people.

I don't think I'm going to be able to make this one. :( It's just too late in the summer, and god knows that if I miss some of the boring district-mandated professional development I'll fail at being able to put my kids in a circle, or something. I am hoping to travel to London anyway, but probably at least a week earlier than the con. If anyone else is planning to get in early let me know, it'd be nice to see people.

Kat, I'm going a week early. I'm going to have to leave right after for work too. I'll be in at least 10 days prior, but will be going to Cropredy the weekend before the Con.

I'm getting my membership next friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick nudge for those intending to attend:

Hotel bookings open on the 2nd January at 16:00 UK time. Con memberships are selling extremely well, so you will have to move fast to get the booking you want. There are numerous con hotels, but the cheaper ones and the ones closest to the con centre will sell out very quickly indeed. You can enter a lottery for rooms in the Aloft, the closest hotel, which will be drawn on the 17th Jan - but you'll need a backup booking just in case.

Remember that there are no con activities planned in any hotel so to that extent it doesn't really matter which you book. Remember also that to a UK hotel, a twin is a twin: you will not be able to fit two people in each bed and two on the floor, there isn't the space, and the hotel will not be happy if you try. ;)

The Ramada has some suites available: they have double or twin beds plus a sofa bed. The Ibis Styles London Excel has some apartments that sleep four. The Novotel has triples available.

Archived