LonCon 3 2014

Here is a timely article, which talks in theoretical terms about spending a week in London for $1,000. The information on flights is perhaps the most interesting to WorldCon attendees from the US.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-london-vacation-for-under-1000-2014-01-15

I love this so much.

But even more, I love to see more people confirming they will be at the con. *falls into swoon at Trebla's feet*

*blush* I'm excited to see you all again AND meet so many others for the first time! And...I do like hugs. :p

Chal., I am traveling from freaking Mississippi to London. Do you know how hard it is to escape from here?!? Mississippi is like the Bermuda Triangle. ;) I must see you and the cutest baby who ever lived. <3

Yay, Trebla! I am getting so excited about seeing friends again and for the very first time (insert ode to the movie "The Birdcage" here.)

Now I've just got to sort out who's a hugger and who's not.

We'll pop along for a bit with James and either arrange to meet various people in one of the hotel bars or if we've got membership hang around. You are on the (very short) list of people that I'd like to see so I'll be there.

N

ps I'm a hugger and after James is used to people and you ask nicely you may get a hug and/or slobbery kiss off him (he finds kissing me and his dad unbearably fun and amusing)

In which Marriott are you staying? Earlier in the thread I provided a link to information on the Docklands Light Railway, if that is what you are referring to as "tram". The hotel website itself probably has information about transport links.

As I recall, the Marriott in question is West India Quay - it's not walking distance from Excel. The DLR runs every five to ten minutes until around 12.30am, maybe a little later on Friday and Saturday, maybe a little earlier on Sunday, and there is a night bus - the N551 - that runs from the Excel to Poplar station, which is very close to the Marriott.

Pebbles,

Mash sorry you won't be able to make it. Was really looking forward to seeing you all again. Maybe in Helsinki 2017 or Dublin 2019? if those bids are successful?

I'm going to be fighting hard for DC 2017. You've met several of the organizers. It would be the first WC in recent memory I could drive to.

Scot I wish you luck, but I'm sure you will understand my selfish reasons why DC will not be my first choice, Apart from needing to cross that ocean I have about a 20% chance of being able to attend any world con on Labor day weekend with my current job no matter where in the world it is.

Scot I wish you luck, but I'm sure you will understand my selfish reasons why DC will not be my first choice, Apart from needing to cross that ocean I have about a 20% chance of being able to attend any world con on Labor day weekend with my current job no matter where in the world it is.

I will try to confirm at the bid party tonight at Arisia (in Boston, MA), but I think I heard yesterday at the fan table that the DC17 bid is for mid-august, not Labor Day weekend, to avoid a conflict with Dragoncon.

Thats almost as problematic.

the last week of July and the first 2 in August is shutdown. I normally have to take all this time off, occasionally I can work one of those weeks and have an extra weeks holiday another time.

I only get 8 days to choose. Because of my Husbands job they don't like him taking any time off durring my mandated holiday thus I like to use some of my 8 days to go on holiday with him. Therefore if I am able to work one of those weeks of shutdown I can consider a worldcon somewhere at another time of year. (although any time in August is hard to get time off from other than shutdown)

So yeah, I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you do get your DC worldcon, but I also want Helsinki to win both are not possible.

/threadjack

Archived