LonCon 3 2014

We'll be arriving Thursday in 7:05 AM in Stansted. That should give us more than enough time to travel to location on time. Since we are not staying in a hotel close to ExCel, it would be great to meet some guys early on. I've still no clue what I'll be doing throughout the whole thing, so I'm relative flexible.

Oh, and I don't mind talking about the translations at all, as long as no one is armed ;-).

I have arrived.

I decided to add a couple of days extra so I could be here to volunteer and assist with set up. I'm just having some lunch before I head down to the ExCeL and get started.

I'm in room 409 at the Ibis Styles Hotel, not that I intend to spend much time in this tiny little room of course.

I believe the set up crew will be heading to a pub this evening, not sure when or where, but I can post it here in case anyone else has arrived early and wants to join us.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Tonight's pub is the Fox at Connaught, behind the Premier Inn.

Hi again everyone.

I have a big problem. I got a last-minute message from the B&B I was supposed to stay at, that they've had a flood and my room won't be available. They're refunding me, but I currently have no place to stay.

I am trying some local contacts as well as getting a list of the hostels in the area (Woolwhich), but I would welcome any other help as well. The problem is that I can only afford to pay about 30 pounds per night. So if anyone is looking for a cheap-ass roomie, please let me know. :D

Nog

Oh no. Sorry to hear that Nog.

Eloisa and MCGeek live in Woolwich but I'm not sure if they have any spaces left at their place amidst the rotating schedule of house guests they have over the weekend. Might be worth an ask though.

My room here at the Ibis Styles is tiny and I'm not sure you want to share this narrow double bed with a total stranger otherwise I would offer. I hope someone can help you.

I've just got back from the pub after working on Second Stage Tech set up from 4 pm - 9 pm. The ExCeL security had to kick us out in the end while we were eating our well earned pizza. The coordinators have asked us to be back down there at 8.45 am to help again. Not sure if I will make that time but I'll be there throughout the day mostly assisting with hospitality set up including the party spaces. I think we'll probably be there till 9 pm again and then on to the Fox to wind down. That is going to be an extremely busy and popular pub for the next week.

If anyone is arriving on Wednesday and can spare a few hours to assist with set up, it's not too late to volunteer. Enter the East doors of the ExCeL, take the escalator up to the first floor and about a hundred metres down on your right you'll find the Volunteers desk. Just sign in, pick up your volunteer vest and someone will assign you some work.

WorldCon is a convention organised and run by volunteers and they really need a lot of help from people willing to give up their time to make it work. There is truly a staggering amount of things to do tomorrow to get everything ready for opening on Thursday morning. So if you can volunteer some of your time it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ETA: I can also report that the ExCeL WiFi is FREE and pretty good. Although how it will hold up with 7000 people trying to use it at the same time is another thing I guess.

I've just got back from the pub after working on Second Stage Tech set up from 4 pm - 9 pm. The ExCeL security had to kick us out in the end while we were eating our well earned pizza. The coordinators have asked us to be back down there at 8.45 am to help again. Not sure if I will make that time but I'll be there throughout the day mostly assisting with hospitality set up including the party spaces. I think we'll probably be there till 9 pm again and then on to the Fox to wind down. That is going to be an extremely busy and popular pub for the next week.

If anyone is arriving on Wednesday and can spare a few hours to assist with set up, it's not too late to volunteer. Enter the East doors of the ExCeL, take the escalator up to the first floor and about a hundred metres down on your right you'll find the Volunteers desk. Just sign in, pick up your volunteer vest and someone will assign you some work.

WorldCon is a convention organised and run by volunteers and they really need a lot of help from people willing to give up their time to make it work. There is truly a staggering amount of things to do tomorrow to get everything ready for opening on Thursday morning. So if you can volunteer some of your time it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ETA: I can also report that the ExCeL WiFi is FREE and pretty good. Although how it will hold up with 7000 people trying to use it at the same time is another thing I guess.

I'll be there some time around noon. :)

My aim is to get in around 11am-12pm Friday. I'll probably circulate around bars until I collide with some BWBers.

Due to unexpected break-up syndrome, I'll be flying solo now.

Linda and I are here now, checked into the Ramada. FWIW, we'll be dining at the Oval Bar on the first floor for an hour or so, if anyone happens to wander by and want to say hello.

Revising my arrival time so I can get there for GRRM's 11am reading tomorrow. Not entirely confident I can arrive, check in to the hotel and register, so I might end up getting up at 6am and catching an early train in :)

Just realised my Wheel of Time panel on Saturday is on at the exact same time as one of George's signings :( That's going to be a tough gig. Hope some of the BwB make it, surely most of you have run out of things for George to sign by now? :D

Archived