LonCon 3 2014

Jon's MC'ing deserves a shout out here, and there are a few performances I also feel deserve a particular mention:

Jon and Targh filling in an early empty slot with Bob the Builder

Triff, Turlough and Mormont doing It's Raining Men

Ran and Linda are apparently Big in Japan

Baita giving us some multiculturalism with La Bamba

Xray, Katie et al tellling us to Run to the Hills

And of course the grand finale of Bohemian Rhapsody by everyone left in the room

Let us not forget Dancing Queen by Ran, Lyanna and a third person I can no longer recall. Plus Linda providing choreography.

Triff, Turlough and Mormont doing It's Raining Men

And Flik too. In fact I feel this counts as me making a guest appearance with the Hardbitten Fleabottom Swingtime Band.

The Maltclaimers doing 500 Miles were a highlight. Common People! Smells Like Teen Spirit! So many good tunes suffered. (And being the BwB, we managed to fit in two songs about murder and one about genocide. We know our audience.)

And Jon gets +100 points for being a great MC.

^ If we hadn't run out of time we would have had the treat of upping the murder ballad content with a freestyle attempt at Stagger Lee.

Sadly by the time I got Nat drunk enough to agree it was too late :-(

Oh, the karaoke gave me one of my funniest con moments. Luga can attest to the fact that we were sitting just outside the room, watching someone singing, when an older guy with a backpack wanders by, looks in, then looks to us and asks enthusiastically, "Filking?"

"No, karaoke," we reply.

His expression turned to one of utter disgust and disappointment. Shook his head and sort of waved a hand dismissively and headed off. The fact that a filker could look down his nose at karaoke made us laugh hard.

AAAAARGH!!!!!!!!! :tantrum:

I always miss the best things. :bawl:

Had a great time with all of you. :bowdown:

Sorry for being a no-show on Monday. I wasn't feeling very well and spent most of the day in bed. :blushing:

Ran,

Karaoke is nothing like filking. ;)

I'm aware. Again, that a filker will look down his nose at karaoke was amusing. ;)

Theda,

Yeah, that was a pretty amazing performance. The duet who did Nilsson's Everybody's Talkin' was also pretty awesome.

I'm very sorry we didn't show up earlier!

I'm amazed at the amount of people I didn't manage to meet. I suck. But it was a pleasure meeting those of you who did cross my path. One of my highlights has to be the moment I met Lyanna Stark. We both looked at the other's badge name, and an "oh shit" escaped my lips. But of course she was lovely, and nowhere near as scary in real life :P

Oh, and Xray trusting me to place the banners around the tent for the party was definitely another highlight. I felt truly honoured. (If you moved them, I didn't see, and so to my mind, my placement was perfect.)

(And being the BwB, we managed to fit in two songs about murder and one about genocide. We know our audience.)

I did wonder what it said about our state of mind that we followed There's a Light That Never Goes Out with Where The Wild Roses Grow.

Archived