Small questions v.10004

Angalin

I assume they're talking about the part where the shy maid crosses the bridge (not sure about the name, but the one with the stone men) and then crosses it again. They also pass the same ship twice i think. I really didn't understand the meaning behind it either to be honest, but i chose not to get my brain twisted trying to figure it out.

Oh, thanks, maybe that's it. Wans't that part of the Royne notoriously hard to navigate and they just went into circles?

Can someone explain the time loop people are referring to? I thought that discovering something new was a part from my forum past, but well...

It's ADwD, Tyrion V (ch 18) and I don't think it was circles because they pass beneath the Bridge of Dream heading downstream twice...

"Inconceivable," said Haldon Halfmaester. "We've left the bridge behind. Rivers only run one way."

"Mother Rhoyne runs how she will," murmured Yandry.

I have a question about Gerion Lannister. I'm sure it isn't a big deal but I was reading some Storm of Swords last night and in Tyrion V:

"In those days his father had been Aerys's Hand, and many people said that Lord Tywin Lannister ruled the seven kingdoms but Lady Joanna ruled Lord Tywin. "He was not the same man after she died, Imp," his uncle Gery had told him once. "The best part of him died with her." Gerion had been the youngest of Lord Tytos Lannister's four sons, and the uncle Tyrion liked best."

Now my question is why on earth would Tyrion's favourite uncle be calling him Imp? I'm not aware of it ever being anything other than an insult, though I may be wrong.

I have a question about Gerion Lannister. I'm sure it isn't a big deal but I was reading some Storm of Swords last night and in Tyrion V:

Now my question is why on earth would Tyrion's favourite uncle be calling him Imp? I'm not aware of it ever being anything other than an insult, though I may be wrong.

Tyrion seemed to embrace the nickname later on, maybe Gerion taught him to do this.

I have a question about the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. They get elected by the brothers of NW and serve till death.

But is there an option where they can be legally removed or impeached by the rest of the NW? Or is death the only way they leave their post?

I assume they're talking about the part where the shy maid crosses the bridge (not sure about the name, but the one with the stone men) and then crosses it again. They also pass the same ship twice i think. I really didn't understand the meaning behind it either to be honest, but i chose not to get my brain twisted trying to figure it out.

I believe it was the Bridge of Dreams...I don't know if its a time loop or an actual physical anomaly with the river.

It's been awhile since I reread the first book, but a scene that always sticks out to me is when Tyrion tells Pycelle, Varys, and Littlefinger three different plans for Myrcella. My question regarding this is really, did this actually work on Varys? In the show (I know a lot of things change), it seems as if Varys is almost "surprised" by Tyrions answer. Almost as if he was expecting Tyrion to say Myrcella was going to the Dorne (which was Tyrions "secret" for Pycelle). Did Varys already hear "whispers" about Tyrion's plans for Myrcella, then realize Tyrion's plan as it was happening? Also, if this is the case, could Varys have been the one that informed Ceresi in order to point the finger at Pycelle intentionally?

It's been awhile since I reread the first book, but a scene that always sticks out to me is when Tyrion tells Pycelle, Varys, and Littlefinger three different plans for Myrcella. My question regarding this is really, did this actually work on Varys? In the show (I know a lot of things change), it seems as if Varys is almost "surprised" by Tyrions answer. Almost as if he was expecting Tyrion to say Myrcella was going to the Dorne (which was Tyrions "secret" for Pycelle). Did Varys already hear "whispers" about Tyrion's plans for Myrcella, then realize Tyrion's plan as it was happening? Also, if this is the case, could Varys have been the one that informed Ceresi in order to point the finger at Pycelle intentionally?

I don't think Varys realized anything right there. I don't think Tyrion let any rumors out, how would any little birds know of this plan if he hasn't told anyone, they cannot read minds? And lastly, ba saying something like "I have always served the Lannisters", Pycelle basically admitted he was the one informing Cersei.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I've used the search and can't seem to pin down what I'm looking for....might someone have a link to threads discussing the words for each house but more specifically for House Stark and why theirs are so different from the other houses??

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I've used the search and can't seem to pin down what I'm looking for....might someone have a link to threads discussing the words for each house but more specifically for House Stark and why theirs are so different from the other houses??

I don't know of any specific thread discussing all of the known house words. There's a wiki page with a long list. This thread might be something you are looking for.

There are a couple of threads that discuss what Winter is Coming might mean.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/52300-winter-is-coming/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81078-winter-fell/

Why did Pycelle love the Lannisters so much?

We don't know, but IIRC that GRRM has said we will find out.

Why did Ghost have an aversion to the Fist of the First Men? Jon practically had to force him in

Not really a small question. The theory that I think is most likely is that there were some type of spell/ ward at the FoFM and Ghost reacted to that.

I've definitely had times when a close friend uses a mocking nickname in an affectionate manner. I assumed that was it.

I'm sure this has been asked before but what would the trueborn child of a bastard's last name. I don't think that it is the same regional last name because we've seen many characters know that someone is a bastard from their last name and no one ever considers that they are the child of a bastard. The example I am most thinking of is in GoT when Catelyn meets Mya Stone.

On a related note, do small folk have last names? I got the impression that they don't *, but we've also seen common born bastards carry the bastard last name, which just seems weird to me if they wouldn't have a last name anyway.

*The example I most remember of this is DoD chapter nine when Duck says that he only took a name after being knighted.

I've definitely had times when a close friend uses a mocking nickname in an affectionate manner. I assumed that was it.

I'm sure this has been asked before but what would the trueborn child of a bastard's last name. I don't think that it is the same regional last name because we've seen many characters know that someone is a bastard from their last name and no one ever considers that they are the child of a bastard. The example I am most thinking of is in GoT when Catelyn meets Mya Stone.

On a related note, do small folk have last names? I got the impression that they don't *, but we've also seen common born bastards carry the bastard last name, which just seems weird to me if they wouldn't have a last name anyway.

*The example I most remember of this is DoD chapter nine when Duck says that he only took a name after being knighted.

They often alter either they're bastard name or father's name slightly or just pick a completely new one. Example: Snowfield, Starken

Not really small, but something occured to me and someone might point me to a thread maybe... In AGOT in the Black Cells Ned wanted Varys to send a letter. I have seen people assuming that it was to Jon and revealing his parentage. The letter is never mentioned again. Could Varys know of Jon's parentage from said letter? I am not a fan of Varys knowing everything, but still, it's something to consider probably?

Archived