arranged weddings

Understood, still how can anyone really take any of it seriously though. If I can capture my enemies child and hold on to them till they are old enough, then merry them off to whom ever I want, then everyone would know that its crap. I understand weddings are to bind two families, where both sides are in agreement and getting something out of it, together. However in this case the starks don't get crap and there is no consenting. It just seems like just cause the father is dead, it doesn't give rights to whom ever captures her.

Well, if you

Consider that Eddard was killed for high treason, catlyn Robb the same. The only kin to her that would question the idea would be lysa (who stays outta everything as long as sweet robin is safe)

And remember Sansa concents and goes along with the mummers farce of a wedding willingly

I get behind Sansa has no one to speak on her behalf that is in the fold of the Lannisters(even though its the Baratheon name), but that is my point. Everyone in Westeros would know that its all shit. I mean her Uncle is still alive and her aunt is still alive (true she would most likely say yes just so no one comes to the vale), so there should be some kind of permission. Other wise it sets an example that other houses could follow. If I had a son and you had a daughter, I will come over to your land take your daughter and marry her to my son. Now your land belongs to me. Sure you can continue to live there but when you die it goes to my family. See what I mean. Is there some sort of custom that I am not aware of?

I get behind Sansa has no one to speak on her behalf that is in the fold of the Lannisters(even though its the Baratheon name), but that is my point. Everyone in Westeros would know that its all shit. I mean her Uncle is still alive and her aunt is still alive (true she would most likely say yes just so no one comes to the vale), so there should be some kind of permission. Other wise it sets an example that other houses could follow. If I had a son and you had a daughter, I will come over to your land take your daughter and marry her to my son. Now your land belongs to me. Sure you can continue to live there but when you die it goes to my family. See what I mean. Is there some sort of custom that I am not aware of?

I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen again with other Houses. In Westeros post-War of Five Kings, might makes right. The stronger families will make their own rules and take the lands of whoever they want, regardless of ancient laws and marital consent (or lack thereof.)

• 2 weeks later...

At this point Sansa is a Lannister captive. She has no family to protect her, nor anybody else. She is alone and vulnerable. Tywin had already known at this point that Sansa will be soon the only heir to Winterfell, so he married his son to her, because of her claim to the North. If the marriage works out, the Lannisters would have the North for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Cersei explained it. She was a ward of the crown at the time of the wedding. And because her father of course wasn't around to consent or refuse the marriage, the final say went to King Joffrey, or really Queen Regent Cersei. Especially considering Sansa isn't yet 16, which is apparently the age of majority in Westeros.

At this point Sansa is a Lannister captive. She has no family to protect her, nor anybody else. She is alone and vulnerable. Tywin had already known at this point that Sansa will be soon the only heir to Winterfell, so he married his son to her, because of her claim to the North. If the marriage works out, the Lannisters would have the North for themselves.

That's right, but I was wondering why Tywin wanted his son to be married with the heir of the north, since he named Roose Bolton to ruler of the north (and he knew Roose Bolton would betray Robb before he arranged the marriege between Tyrion and Sansa). Or was Roose Bolton just a replacement for Tyrion (since he is accused of killing Joffry).

Excuse me for my bad English, it's not my maternal language.

Btw, I'm a new user.

That's right, but I was wondering why Tywin wanted his son to be married with the heir of the north, since he named Roose Bolton to ruler of the north (and he knew Roose Bolton would betray Robb before he arranged the marriege between Tyrion and Sansa). Or was Roose Bolton just a replacement for Tyrion (since he is accused of killing Joffry).

Excuse me for my bad English, it's not my maternal language.

Btw, I'm a new user.

Warden of the North and the Lord of Winterfell can be two different titles. They haven't been as long as the Starks were around, but it's not outrageous to say that Tywin wanted to transfer the Warden title to someone he could trust more.

Winterfell will take time to rebuild, so he doesn't need someone as strong to serve as Lord there yet. If his plan went right there would probably be enough time for Tyrion to have a son and let him grow up enough to inherit Winterfell. But now that Tyrion's out of Tywin's plan, the Lannisters still have someone in their pocket running the north, so they still win.

• 4 weeks later...

How is it that Tywin can make an arrange marriage with Terion and Sansa? Just because you have captured a person, doesn't give the right to marry them to whom ever you want. If thats the case then there would be marriges all over the place. Am I missing something here?

Yeah, if you captured the daughter of your enemy in the middle ages you could pretty much marry her off to whoever you liked. It's even better if you have the permission of the King, and since Lord Tywin is the Hand of the King and speaks for the King, he can do whatever he likes with Sansa. Yes, wars have been started over less, but it happened. It did really suck to be a woman in the middle ages.

Archived