Bubonicon 45

Many thanks for the report, Frodostark! If you or any other attendee remembers further details, please let us know!!

He was considered weakly at birth and early childhood, but once he bonded with his dragon, Quicksilver, he rapidly became stronger and more confident.

If it weren't because George doesn't strike as being much into surfing, I would suspect of shameful product placement here! :P

Maegor appeared with his newly bonded dragon

I'd bet that this dragon could be Balerion, since Maegor had said that the previously available dragons were not "worthy". Once the Dragon died, Balerion would need a new rider.

In gratitude and a show of family solidarity, Aenys named Maegor his Hand (the previous one having been killed during the revolts)...but, GRRM noted, this amity was to be short-lived.

With a Hand trying to usurp the throne, Rhaenys dead, Visenya alive and pressing for his son, and revolts going, it seems that poor Aenys could not enjoy his rule a lot. He only reigned for six years, and I'm really intrigued to know about how he died. The odds for murder seem to be increasing.

I didn't get that at all. There's a 30-year gap between Aegon's conquest and Aegon's death, remember. It merely said that Rhaenys died 'in Dorne'. It might be that Rhaenys was there negotiating some kind of deal with the Dornish and died of natural causes (which seems unlikely if her dragon died at the same) or she was assassinated by some other force.

If the Dornish did kill Rhaenys and her dragon, it is ludicrously implausible that Aegon wouldn't burn every castle and town in Dorne to the ground in response (and remember that Aegon really loved Rhaenys, whilst apparently saw being with Visenya more of a family duty). That kind of shit does not stand, and Aegon would lose the respect and support of his vassals if he did let it go.

I'd still say that the Dornish managing to kill Rhaenys and her dragon is the most likely explanation. As to why Aegon didn't try to avenge her? Perhaps he was afraid that if he went south with his army the Northern kingdoms would revolt and undo all his previous efforts. Perhaps he realized that the Targaryens needed the dragons to maintain their hold on Westeros and he couldn't allow to get another one killed. Perhaps he tried to avenge her, and failed at conquering Dorne.

But in fact, I could see how Rhaenys death may have marked the end of the Wars of Conquest. Aegon may have lost his will to continue "playing the conqueror game" when he lost the woman he loved.

I'd bet that this dragon could be Balerion, since Maegor had said that the previously available dragons were not "worthy". Once the Dragon died, Balerion would need a new rider.

It's definitely Balerion, we know from the WOIAF sample.

"The next morning, the king awoke, rising with the sun. When Maegor appeared on the walls of the Red Keep, standing between Alys Harroway and Tyanna of Pentos, the crowds cheered wildly, and the city erupted in celebration. But the revels died away when Maegor mounted Balerion, and descended upon Hill of Rhaenys, where seven hundred of the Warrior's Sons were at their morning prayers in the fortified sept."

We can suppose Rhaenys' Hill was named for her after her death.

Quicksilver must've been born after the Conquest, iirc Aegon's conquest began with only Balerion/Meraxes/Vhagar. Since Meraxes died in Dorne, that might mean Vhagar is the mother and Balerion the father. Meraxes could've laid eggs before she died, but odds should be on Vhagar, who lived until ~130 (died during the Dance).

The previous readings from the WOIAF strongly indicate that the only two dragons born on Dragonstone were Meraxes and Vhagar.

But in fact, I could see how Rhaenys death may have marked the end of the Wars of Conquest. Aegon may have lost his will to continue "playing the conqueror game" when he lost the woman he loved.

Strongly agree with this. We are told he spent 10 nights with her for every 1 with Visenya. Also, he may have feared losing more dragons (and they clearly didn't have many) which could easily lead to an inability to hold the kingdom together. We are also told about "numerous revolts breaking out" when Aenys ascended. Aegon was likely aware of these potential revolts and chose to not overextend his strength in Dorne.

Quicksilver the Dragon sounds similar to Silverwing, Queen Alysanne's dragon.

We're told that Maegor executed many of his wives, for failing to give him heirs, but it seems pretty darn unlikely that he'd execute his niece. Good chance she died young-ish. But not too young, cause this reading says she was 16-17 when she married 13 yo. Maegor.

We know that Aenys was roughly 5 years older than Maegor, and since Maegor at 13 married Aenys' 16-17 yo sister, then Aenys sister must've been only a year or two younger than Aenys.

There was some controversy as the boys grew as to whether they would maintain the Valeryian tradition of intra-family marriage. Memory fails a bit here, but I think Aenys married outside the family, for political reasons, and Maegor married one of his half-sisters (a full sister of Aenys)

So Aenys didn't marry his own sister despite their close ages, but Aegon was probably alive during this decision. So it is quite likely Aegon agreed with the political necessity of Aenys' marriage. In fact, he may have forced it.

Can anyone find the reference to why we think Jaehaerys is Aenys' firstborn? It says so in the Wiki, but this could be one of those times where the wiki is wrong. I bring it up because this reading indicates Aenys firstborn was a daughter, not Jaehaerys. Could this be the future Queen Alysanne? Her being older than Jaehaerys fits nicely with the notion that she was his most trusted advisor.

So what's going on? Why were revolts taking place? Was the wife of Maegor, when he was 13, Aeny's sister or some other woman? And if he hadn't fathered any children what was this about creating a kid through this teenager wife (who was Aeny's sister?) on his wedding night?

The revolts were mostly religious in nature. From afFC:

“And speaking of the Seven, why would Cersei permit the Faith to arm again?”

Jaime shrugged. “I am certain she had reasons.”

“Reasons?” Lady Genna made a rude noise. “They had best be good reasons. The Swords and Stars troubled even the Targaryens. The Conqueror himself tread carefully with the Faith, so they would not oppose him. And when Aegon died and the lords rose up against his sons, both orders were in the thick of that rebellion. The more pious lords supported them, and many of the smallfolk. King Maegor finally had to put a bounty on them. He paid a dragon for the head of any unrepentant Warrior’s Son, and a silver stag for the scalp of a Poor Fellow, if I recall my history. Thousands were slain, but nigh as many still roamed the realm, defiant, until the Iron Throne slew Maegor and King Jaehaerys agreed to pardon all those who would set aside their swords.”

The Faith hated many things about the Targs, with incest being near or at the top of the list.

Aenys' political marriage to a non-Targ may have related to the Faith's hatred of incest. By marrying outside of the Targ line, Aenys' kids would not be products of incest (Aegon himself did not have a Targ mother).

In gratitude and a show of family solidarity, Aenys named Maegor his Hand (the previous one having been killed during the revolts)...but, GRRM noted, this amity was to be short-lived.

Aegon's Hand was Orys Baratheon. If Orys outlived Aegon and remained Aenys' hand, this would be him killed during the revolts. Otherwise it is some unnamed character, or perhaps one of the Hands whose timeline we don't know. The three Hands whose timelines we cannot place are: Septon Murmison (very unlikely, he probably came much later. Though it would be an interesting political move to name a Septon Hand when the Faith is close to revolt, or actually revolting), Ryam Redwyne (I suspect he was much later too, as he is well-remembered. More detail in HoW's episode on the Kingsguard) or Myles Smallwood. No idea about Smallwood

Awesome comments, all...clearly some of you guys need to come and take notes. :)

So what's going on? Why were revolts taking place? Was the wife of Maegor, when he was 13, Aeny's sister or some other woman? And if he hadn't fathered any children what was this about creating a kid through this teenager wife (who was Aeny's sister?) on his wedding night?

As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there was a lot of tension between the Faith and the Targaryen's, though Aegon did himself a lot of good by not meddling too much with them. My impression from this reading was that the revolts were tinged with religion but were as much about opportunity as anything else: the king who conquered us is dead, it's not too late to turn the tide back before hsi son can establish himself, etc.

Meagor's wife was Aenys's sister, sorry if that wasn't clear. The wedding night boast was that of proud and boastful youth and was noted in the reading to contract with the reality that no child did come of his supposedly vigorous bedding.

I didn't get that at all. There's a 30-year gap between Aegon's conquest and Aegon's death, remember. It merely said that Rhaenys died 'in Dorne'. It might be that Rhaenys was there negotiating some kind of deal with the Dornish and died of natural causes (which seems unlikely if her dragon died at the same) or she was assassinated by some other force.

If the Dornish did kill Rhaenys and her dragon, it is ludicrously implausible that Aegon wouldn't burn every castle and town in Dorne to the ground in response (and remember that Aegon really loved Rhaenys, whilst apparently saw being with Visenya more of a family duty). That kind of shit does not stand, and Aegon would lose the respect and support of his vassals if he did let it go.

Solid points, Wert, but I'd agree with those who've said it could happen that Aegon just didn't want to try and punish the obstinate Dornishmen, whom he'd never really been able to conquer anyway. I don't think it was stated clearly one way or the other, but the implication of the reading left me thinking she had been killed in battle...I'd not be surprised either way.

Very interesting that Rhaenys died in Dorne with her dragon Meraxes, but it certainly explains why she is his only known dragonrider, at least.

Also of note that we learn a new dragon name, 'Quicksilver'. Presumably we learn one more, Maegor's dragon, but it is possible that he bonded with Balerion or another existing dragon, as Aegon I had just died.

I couldn't remember Maegor's dragon's name (somehow), but yeah, it was Balerion.

Thanks so much for this review!

Edit:

Not sure if this is allowed but i found a video of the Q&A.

I'd mentioned this in another thread where that link was posted, but I have no idea where it's from. That's not the room at Bubonicon, those aren't the questions, and GRRM never took off his cap. :) Sorry!

As I recall the Q&Q was the kind of standard stuff that happens when a lot of newer fans show up: how'd you come up with Tyrion (dwarf mentioned in passing in Windhaven who stuck in GRRM's head, in case you've never heard that story), etc.? Nothing wrong with that, just a quirk of who happens to be in the room.

The two main things that came up were

1 - some elaboration on a point he's made numerous times, that the WOIAF and the Grim-arillion are making him use tell, not show writing techniques, which he's always been opposed to but is kind of enjoying; and

2 - the news (at least it was to me) that The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister is coming out soon (the best part of this was GRRM's comment that if it was a success, volume 2 would the The Wit and Wisdom of Hodor!).

Aegon's Hand was Orys Baratheon. If Orys outlived Aegon and remained Aenys' hand, this would be him killed during the revolts.

Good call and thanks for the memory jolt...it was Orys. Think he was killed as part of the fighting to subdue Harrenhall.

Thanks for posting all this, yesterday I was starting to think no one took any notes over there and that would just be tragic :)

Good call and thanks for the memory jolt...it was Orys. Think he was killed as part of the fighting to subdue Harrenhall.

Harrenhal's ruling House at the time must've been Towers, Harroway or Strong. Qoherys was almost certainly extinct by then, and Valyrian besides, plus the 1st Lord Qoherys was apparently a friend of Aegon. Do any of those names ring a bell?

Harrenhal's ruling House at the time must've been Towers, Harroway or Strong. Qoherys was almost certainly extinct by then, and Valyrian besides, plus the 1st Lord Qoherys was apparently a friend of Aegon. Do any of those names ring a bell?

No, in fact, I think the rebellions began with the appearance of a self-proclaimed ancestor of Harren the Black, styling himself Harren the Red.

So I guess my theory about Aenys being a bastard doesn't seem to be a big part of the whole issue between him and Maegor. Rhaenys kept a lot of young male friends around her and there was speculation going on that she had partners outside of Aegon, I would think that someone like Maegor would jump to accuse Aenys even if he didn't know the truth of it.

No, in fact, I think the rebellions began with the appearance of a self-proclaimed ancestor of Harren the Black, styling himself Harren the Red.

Oh wow that is cool. I suppose the true Faith Militant uprising came a bit later. Not a bad assumption then, that Harren the Red was trying to reclaim Harrenhal. Perhaps he was successful for a time and that caused the end of House Towers (or Qoherys).

More on Maegor related to this: It seems that Maegor's cruelties exacerbated the situation. Once he hanged everyone at the Eyrie, he sent the messaged to the entire realm that surrender was a waste. Recall Tywin's advice:

Joffrey, when your enemies defy you, you must serve them steel and fire. When they go to their knees, however, you must help them back to their feet. Elsewise no man will ever bend the knee to you.

Consider Maegor becoming Hand of the King. What are the lords of the realm to think when their weakish King makes a brutal and cruel man who tortures animals the chief administrator of the Realm? I have a feeling these rebellions became so bloody because everything was win or die with Maegor.

btw, put all this together: a cruel and extremely strong man "vigorously" has relations with his young wife for the first time, thinking that his vigor has something to do with the likelihood of creating a son. Seriously he may have wound up killing her with his "vigor" eventually.

I found another report on asoiaf subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1l2ip4/spoilers_all_details_from_fridays_reading_from/):

"skitchw

I was at the reading. GRRM actually called it the "Grimarillion", which I took to be a playful dig at his reputation for knocking off characters rather than a pun on his own name (though it could easily have been both). The text was originally written for the upcoming coffee table book World of Ice and Fire which is intended to have 50000 words of text supplementing the lavish art of the book. But before he knew it, GRRM had written over 250000 words which he subsequently decided to release later in a Silmarillion-style book (someday... no projected release date).

Some other tidbits from the reading:

As children, there was a great contrast between Aenys and Maegor, with Maegor demonstrating a dramatic (Jaime-like!) flair for the sword, defeating at age 11 and 12 squires 4 or 5 years older with ease and becoming at the time one of the youngest to ever be knighted (at 16 or 17 if I remember correctly).

Aegon ruled at King's Landing until it became clear that the ramshackle pile of wood and earth that was Aegonfort was entirely unsuited as his seat of power. He moved the family back to Dragonstone and ordered Aegonfort razed and a proper castle built in its place. Only the foundations and tunnels of the future Red Keep had been completed when Aegon died.

When Aenys assumed the throne at the time of Aegon's death, he presented Maegor with Aegon's Valyrian blade, Blackfyre, admitting to all assembled that he wasn't nearly the warrior his half-brother was.

Maegor actually refused to ride any dragon as a youth, retorting angrily when chided for cowardice that there was only one dragon worthy of him. Only when it came time to put down the rebellion did he appear riding Balerion."

I'm sorry, but I find it preposterous that Aegon would not avenge his true love's death with all of the fire and blood at his disposal. The same guy who used an envoy having his hands chopped off as a casus belli for his entire invasion of Westeros? There's suspending disbelief and there's taking it out into the yard and shooting it in the head. Aegon letting Rhaenys's death pass unremarked would firmly fall into the latter category.

An attempted second invasion that was rebuffed would be a reasonable explanation, and would also explain the discrepency between reports of the Dornish undertaking guerrilla warfare against the Targaryens and the previous WoIaF reports, which make it sound like Rhaenys went to Sunspear alone. It would also explain why the later Targaryens trod lightly around the Dornish if they had killed a Targaryen princess, a dragon and then defeated them in battle.

As I recall the Q&Q was the kind of standard stuff that happens when a lot of newer fans show up: how'd you come up with Tyrion (dwarf mentioned in passing in Windhaven who stuck in GRRM's head, in case you've never heard that story), etc.? Nothing wrong with that, just a quirk of who happens to be in the room.

There's something wrong with that, IMO. :P The availability of George is very limited and a small number of the people in the room will get to ask a question. Wasting the opportunity by asking something that can be easily found in the internet shows little respect for others.

But going back to topic...

I think that now we can establish the ages of Aenys and Maegor with some certainty. If Rhaenys died during the Wars of Conquest, then he would have had her 3-4 children before the war. It also seems a fair assumption that Maegor was born before the conquest too, since I can't imagine the sisters riding dragons and fighting while pregnant.

If we put Maegor's birth the year before the Landing, 3 BC, then Aenys birth would be at 8BC, when Rhaenys was 17 and Aegon 19.

This makes Aenys 45 at the death of his father. A little older than I imagined, but it can't vary too much if we accept that Rhaeny's death was during the Wars of Conquest: if you push it to an earlier date, she's too young, and if you push it to a later date, she's dead.

Can anyone find the reference to why we think Jaehaerys is Aenys' firstborn? It says so in the Wiki, but this could be one of those times where the wiki is wrong. I bring it up because this reading indicates Aenys firstborn was a daughter, not Jaehaerys. Could this be the future Queen Alysanne?

I can't find it, and I honestly don't think that we have ever had confirmation either way.

However, the report says that Aenys had a daughter "soon", and that during the reign of the Dragon people were discussing if the "succession should go through Aenys and then his daughter, before reaching Maegor". No mention of a son. This makes me think that this firstborn girl was much older than Jaehaerys.

So my wild guess would be that Maegor forcefully married Aeny's first daughter in order to obtain more legitimacy to usurp the throne. (We know that two of Maegor's eight wives were Targs. She would be the second one).

Not a bad assumption then, that Harren the Red was trying to reclaim Harrenhal. Perhaps he was successful for a time and that caused the end of House Towers (or Qoherys).

Perhaps it's a bit silly, but House Qoherys banner show four skulls among flames depicting Harren and his dead sons. Then House Towers' has five towers. Of course they depict the five towers of Harrenhal, but perhaps they also intend to represent that there's a fifth member of the family that is still alive.

An attempted second invasion that was rebuffed would be a reasonable explanation, and would also explain the discrepency between reports of the Dornish undertaking guerrilla warfare against the Targaryens and the previous WoIaF reports, which make it sound like Rhaenys went to Sunspear alone. It would also explain why the later Targaryens trod lightly around the Dornish if they had killed a Targaryen princess, a dragon and then defeated them in battle.

I can't remember if in the tWoW spoiler chapter from

Arianne, when she at the castle of House Toland

there is a mention of dragons actually dying during the first invasion of Dorne, or merely of dragons

endlessly snapping at their own tails.

Well, I may be late, but I hope I can contribute to this whole thing nonetheless:

First I'd really like to thank frodostark for his efforts here. Perhaps next year I' going to join you at Bubonicon. Although this would certainly be a rather long journey ;-).

The death of Rhaenys and Meraxes in Dorne would have happened later on during Aegon's reign. GRRM already gave us a hint in the history of Aegon's Conquest - Rhaenys apparently said something like 'I/We will be back' to Princess Mariya Martell - an then there is the banner of House Toland. A green dragon who bites his own tail. It has already been suggested that this was Meraxes. Finally, there has to be a reason why the hell the Targaryens did not conquer Dorne while they still had dragons. Apparently, Balerion, Vhagar, and Meraxes procreated at least as quickly as the Targaryen siblings. Both Aenys and Maegor had young dragons to bond with in their youth. And I'm quite sure Aenys' sisters and daughter got their own dragons, too.

Aegon would have had the power of six of the Seven Kingdoms and multiple dragons at his disposal. Surely the Dornishmen soon learned how to slay a dragon.

As to the date of Rhaenys' death: I'm not sure if we know for sure that Rhaenys died during Aegon's rule. Perhaps she died shortly after Aenys ascended the Iron Throne, or she, Meraxes, and Aegon died together in Dorne? It has never been stated that Rhaenys died during the original Conquest, and I'm quite sure that did not happen. The Targaryen siblings were born 30-28 BC, which certainly would have enabled them to have children before the Conquest. But we don't yet know when their father, Aerion Targaryen, died, and it seems that Aegon only took Visenya and Rhaenys to bride upon their father's death. This could have been as late as, say, 3-2 before the Conquest. We don't yet know if it was Aegon's or Aerion's decision to back the alliance against the Volantenes or if this was Aegon's decision. All we know is that Aegon rode on Balerion during that time. But this does not mean that his father was already dead.

If the Targaryen siblings married each other only shortly after the Conquest, it's all but confirmed that Aenys and his siblings - who apparently all were older than Maegor - were born after the Conquest. Thus Rhaenys could not have died during the Conquest. Keeping in mind that she apparently four children, she would have to be around for at least, say, 5 AC or so. Visenya was 30 during the Conquest, so we can reasonably assume that Maegor was not born later than, say, 10 AC. Visenya would have been forty by then, and in the medieval setting of Westeros a pregnancy would have been very unlikely at this age. Her age at the time of her pregnancy could also explain why Maegor turned out to be sterile and was deranged in other ways. I'd assume that Maegor was born while Visenya was 35-40. Then we would have to assume that Aenys was born shortly after the Conquest. Perhaps in 1 or 2 AC.

Since Rhaenys apparently died during a later attempt to conquer Dorne (or rather to make good of the Targaryen claim that Dorne already belonged to them), my guess is that this attempt happened either at the very end of Aegon's rule - and included his death as well as Rhaenys' and Meraxes' - or at about halfway during Aegon's rule. When the children by Rhaenys had adulthood and the Six Kingdoms were more or less pacified, the Lords quiet and so the time for dealing with Dorne could have come.

If Aegon died during this attempt, too, this could have well been the sign of the Seven the High Septon had been waiting for. A sign to prove that the gods did no longer favor the Targaryen rule of Westeros, and most certainly not the rule of incest-born abominations.

I really can't see how else the Dornishmen could have maintained their independence during 130 years of Targaryen dragon rule. During the reigns of Jaehaerys I and Viserys I the Targaryens should have had dragons enough to go to Dorne and burn down every single castle. Surely that would have done the trick of forcing them into submission. The fact that they did not do this may indicate that they once tried and suffered a very serious defeat and subsequent trauma of sorts.

Since we already know that Maegor eventually rode Balerion, it's obvious that he never rode another dragon. Being Balerion's rider surely put him into an ideal position to usurp the Iron Throne upon Aenys' death. On the other hand, the fact that Aenys had bonded with his own dragon years before his father died - and Quicksilver surely also reached a decent size during those years - put him into a better position than Maegor when their father died. I doubt that Maegor immediately had a chance to bond with Balerion when his father died.

In all this political maneuvering we cannot underestimate the role Visenya played. She even lived into Maegor's reign, and she most certainly was Vhagar's rider until her death. She most certainly was the one who made Maegor king after Aenys dead.

The interesting question is now whether Aenys' eldest daughter was Princess Alysanne or not. If that was the case, we should really start to rethink out approach on the Targaryen dynasty of the early years. Gaemon and Daenys, Aegon and Elaena, and Aegon and his sisters all ruled together. The male was supposed to marry his eldest sister to cement his claim to rule. We already know that Visenya and Rhaenys were the ones who effectively ruled Westeros, not Aegon. And Alysanne apparently wielded as much power openly than Jaehaerys I - perhaps even more power behind the scenes. GRRM compared her to Eleanor of Aquitaine, which may very well indicate that she still called the shots during her grandson's reign. She may also have been the one who chose Rhaenyra as Viserys' heir and forced the Realm to swear obeisance to her in 105 AC.

If Alysanne was not Aenys' eldest daughter, she may very well have been killed upon her father's death to ensure Maegor's ascension to the Iron Throne. Then we would have to assume that Jaehaerys and Alysanne were born during Aenys' reign rather than while Aegon I was still alive. This would have made them children when their father died. Originally I assumed that they were imprisoned during Maegor's rule who may have planned to kill them as soon as he had children of his own.

But the interesting questions now are when did Visenya die and who inherited Vhagar after her death, and who got Balerion when Maegor died. Silverwing indeed sounds as if she might have been a child or sibling of Quicksilver. It's also interesting what happened to Aenys' younger sisters. No idea if Maegor eventually executed his half-sister bride - I'm not sure he would have dared such a thing - and if he truly had a hand in Aenys' death. Maegor seems to have been a really cruel guy, but I don't smell all that much lust for power in him.

As to Aegon's reason of Conquest: What we know is the official story. The interpretation that Argilac's provocation triggered the Conquest seems only the official story to me. There is talk that Aegon traveled through Westeros in disguise, the whole Rhaegarish character he seemed to have had could very well indicate that the real cause of the Conquest was Aegon's belief in some prophecy rather than his desire to rule a continent.

As to the rebellions upon Aegon's death:

There has been some confusion here, and it's obvious now that there were multiple rebellions. There is an event called 'the Rebellion of the Lords' when Aenys ascended to the Iron Throne. It had the idealogical backing of the High Septon and the Faith, but involved many Lords of the Realm as well as the orders of the Faith Militant. Maegor was crucial into putting it down and was appointed Hand. Later on, during Maegor's reign the real Faith Militant Uprising happened, and we have already gotten a glimpse how Maegor as king dealt with them. It's also indicated that Maegor's eradication of the Warrior's Son and Poor Fellows was caused by an attempt on his life (we know that Tyanna of Pentos apparently helped the king to recover from a wound/serious affliction/assassination attempt), indicating that even during Aenys' rule and Maegor's first year(s) the Targaryens did not attack the Faith directly. Thus it seems to me that the High Septon/Faith Militant mostly used (and hid behind) pious lords who actually rebelled against the Targaryen rule. Those rebellions never stopped during the reigns of Aegon's sons, but eventually it was only the Faith Militant and the more pious lesser lords who continued to oppose the Targaryen rule.

frodostark, here are some direct questions. Hopefully they ring a bell or too:

1. Any idea who Aenys I married? You said it was political marriage outside the Targaryen family. Was his queen of the known Great Houses, or some obscure/extinct smaller house?

2. Did Aenys have only one queen or did he continue polygamy as his father did? Since Jaehaerys and Alysanne are not mentioned - and if the eldest daughter is not Alysanne - then those two could have been born by a different queen.

3. Was any of Maegor's non-Targaryen wives mentioned? It's possible that his second Targaryen bride turns out to be Aenys' eldest daughter to solidify his claim to the Iron Throne (and it's actually not impossible that they were supposed to rule together like Aegon and his sisters did), but were others mentioned as well?

4. Do you have any memory about this Eyrie thing? Were the Arryns involved in this rebellion upon Aegon's death? What happened to little Lord Ronnel Arryn, the one who rode on Vhagar with Visenya? Considering that he was boy during the Conquest, he should have been Lord of the Eyrie when Aenys ascended the Iron Throne.

Archived