The Winds of Winter , return of Benjen Stark ?

davybyrne95

I'd love to see that happen.i really hope he's on a kick ass ranging in tothe depths of the lands of always winter and finds out more about them and what they are about...........one can dream. I truly believe he's not dead though, there's definately a reason why he's continually brought up throughout the series,to keep him fresh in our minds.

He's either an epilogue or a prologue character, which probably means one long chapter musing about what he has done so far before being captured/killed by the Others

I've always believed that Benjen has to be alive in some form or the other, and TWOW sets the perfect scenario for him to return. With the Long Night 2.0 approaching, setting the prologue with the most seasoned Ranger would show the connection between the events to occur and the relation to the Wall. Knowing the prologues however, I don't see Benjen surviving, so maybe GRRM will be merciful and allow him to survive, because the series has hinted a lot at his significance to the story.

If he's going to show up again, TWoW is the book to do it in. Assuming that R+L=J, other than possibly Howland Reed, Benjen Stark seems to be the best potential link for Jon to find out about it. He was around for the events of the Knight of the Laughing Tree story, and probably has some idea of what happened between Rhaegar and Lyanna there.

Of course, he doesn't have to still be alive to play that role. Jon (or someone) might come across records he'd left behind, final words, that sort of thing.

I think ultimately the issue with Benjen is what role can he really play. Besides of course the R+L=J storyline, which he can only really give answers about Lyanna at Whent's tourney (though it would be awesome to find a bit more out about Ashara and Eddard), how much of a story and place does he have left?

I think he'll appear, but will it really progress stuff much

You're right that he's not absolutely necessary for the R+L=J reveal -- there's always Howland Reed, after all -- but it also seems possible that Benjen knows a lot about it. E.g., for all we know the R and L affair might have started right at that tourney.

On the other hand, I feel pretty confident that where's he's been will involve some important plot reveal, even if it's not R+L. Otherwise, why make such a point of his disappearance in the books?

If he is in an prologue/epilogue chapter, maybe Martin will make the POV a wildling or someone else north of the wall who stumbles into a mysterious crow (Benjen) that is trying to find more information about the Others. After a few pages of who knows what, a bunch of wights show up and kill the POV character, leaving us to ponder the fate of Benjen once again.

If he is in an prologue/epilogue chapter, maybe Martin will make the POV a wildling or someone else north of the wall who stumbles into a mysterious crow (Benjen) that is trying to find more information about the Others. After a few pages of who knows what, a bunch of wights show up and kill the POV character, leaving us to ponder the fate of Benjen once again.

lol... THAT would just be too much.

I hope he's alive but I always got the impression he is Coldhands. Yea I know there's stuff hinting that he isn't but it just always felt like him to me... the Uncle coming to the aid of his nephew when he needs it most.

Benjen might encounter Alliser Thorne somewhere in the land of nowhere. Me thinks both will come back and have some interesting story to tell.

I still think that Benjen will be the Prologue/epilogue character to show us the Lands of Always Winter and then die. But Alliser Thorne could be a good alternative if he finds Benjens body.

I have a belief Benjen is what brings back Jon. Melisandre and Tormund get Jon's body and Benjen shows up. The whole "only death can pay for life and there is power in king's blood" thing goes on. Melisandre plunges Longclaw into Benjen, and Jon gets up. This would work because this would be Jon's Nissa Nissa. His family and honor.

Archived