The Winds of Winter , return of Benjen Stark ?

davybyrne95

I read somewhere that perhaps Benjen was killed, but warged into a wight's body... hence Coldhands. That explains the helpfulness, the black hands and that he (meaning, the walker corpse) died "long ago."

But if a skinchanger could simply "jump" into a wight then surely Varamyr Sixskins would have done that instead of warging into that old wolf "One Eye" when he was dying, right? :dunno:

Am I the only one who thinks that Benjen will never return and was simply just a character that GRRM introduced in the first book and never really had long term plans for him?

Look to the actor they chose to play the part on HBO.

He's a good looking guy and perfect for playing a North man so why use him in 2 or 3 episodes and that's it when he could have made a great Mance or Roose and had more screen time?

I think that's the biggest clue that Benjen is coming back. I think he's Coldhands and the show will have to "give it up" where as GRRM can be vague and keep us guessing for another 10 years.LOL

If he's not Coldhands then he could still be coming back from the Lands of Always Winter and have a story to tell. One way or the Other(haha) I think we'll see more of him.

Look to the actor they chose to play the part on HBO.

He's a good looking guy and perfect for playing a North man so why use him in 2 or 3 episodes and that's it when he could have made a great Mance or Roose and had more screen time?

I think that's the biggest clue that Benjen is coming back. I think he's Coldhands and the show will have to "give it up" where as GRRM can be vague and keep us guessing for another 10 years.LOL

If he's not Coldhands then he could still be coming back from the Lands of Always Winter and have a story to tell. One way or the Other(haha) I think we'll see more of him.

Benjen is not Coldhands because the child of the forest said 'they killed him long ago ' benjen wasn't killed long ago , we don't even know if he is dead.

on who Coldhands really is i think he's just an old member of the nightswatch who found the three-eyed-raven and now is helping him.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him again. He's one of the ultimate disappearing characters and it would be disappointing to most if he's gone, but if GRRM wants to keep it real, he can't have every non-POV character who disappears come back into the story.

Yea he definitely wants to "keep it real" which his epic FANTASY novel series ::rolls eyes::

GRRM can do whatever he wants with the series. What is interpreted as "real" in our eyes does not matter

Am I the only one who thinks that Benjen will never return and was simply just a character that GRRM introduced in the first book and never really had long term plans for him?

It's actually quite realistic for people to disappear in times of conflict and war and never be seen again. Killed, vanished, broken. Not all families get answers about what happened to their loved ones.

GRRM hates tropes and cliches. So us not knowing what happened to him may be EXACTLY his plan. GRRM will do as he pleases, which I'm very happy about

Which would be fine, but we really should have come across the corpse. It seems like it would take more effort to not show that he died, then to just have them come across the corpse.

I really like the idea of having Benjen coming back at the Wall during ADoS like "Wow, I got really cold out there ! Any news from my brother ? He's Hand of the King you know !"

But I also like the idea of seeing him in the prologue, via a lost and half-frozen wildling about to die.

My money is on he is:

1) Working for/with BR and the children of the forest. He met them or was saved by them and they convinced him that they are trying to stop the Others. He is therefor in his mind not breaking his vows.

2) On their directive he left the draggonglass and horn at the Fist o/t FM.

3) He is currently Hooded in Winterfell, ironicly also on their directive and not for himself so that he can help get rid of the Boltons and the Freys and unite the north to fight the Others without being noticed.

4) While he's aware of the plotting going on in Winterfell, he's not involved with them directly. He knows he only need to edge things on in order to make them collapse on itself. While killing Freys makes up for a lot, he does feel guilty about breaking the "take no part in the realm" part of his vow. That's why he used he NW cloak to wrap the glass in. It was after all the last thing he did directly for the Watch.

5) He'll be Jon's Nissa NIssa.

As for my admittedly feeble dreams about the battle itself:

1) Benjen will stab Roose from behind and say: Robb sends his regards.

2) Ramsay will die running through the snow, being chased by a huge black direwolf with a 6-year old on it's back. Some time many years later, a black direwolf pup will be named Snow.

Just because GRRM decides that some times the gods are even better then when they turned Aerion Bryghtflame into a corpse. :laugh:

Archived