NYC/NJ BwB: June 15 Biergarten + Eco-cruise (See post #101)

naz

HEY YOU! SEE POST #101 FOR MEADOWLANDS ECO-CRUISE INFO. :)

During last night's pizza dinner, we talked about options for the next NYC meetup. I suggested the annual Cherry Blossom Festival at Branch Brook Park in Newark. Yeah, I know... when people hear the word "Newark" in terms of a social outing, the first reaction is "What??". But despite it's shady reputation, this particular outing has the following things going for it:

- Branch Brook Park is a relatively little-known, yet beautiful park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted (who designed Central Park and Prospect Park). The park itself is worth seeing.

- The park has twice as many cherry trees (4000) as Washington DC.

- The festival itself lasts from April 6 - 20, but the main event is Bloomfest on Sunday April 14, which is hopefully a date that should be easy for most of us. (Download the brochure here.) There are lots of Japanese cultural events and other things going on, but just hanging out and walking around is also cool.

- It's FREE!

- Very close by is Newark's famous Sacred Heart basilica which is a beautiful gothic masterpiece and the 5th largest cathedral in North America.

- It's easily accessible by NJ Transit (and PATH) and is about a 30 minute ride from midtown Manhattan.

- After Newark, we can take the train or drive to Hoboken and finish the day at the Pilsner Haus beer garden, something we were planning to do last year but which never materialized.

So that's my propaganda for the next meetup. Anyone interested? I'm almost definitely going to the Cherry Blossom festival anyway, so it don't matter to me, but it would be great to have you all along. And it's probably somewhere that none of you have been to before. The event is in two weeks, so we'll need to organize this fairly quickly.

PS: We can always do Storm King again instead of, or in addition to, this.

UPDATE: Here are people who are coming (12-17)

naz +2

Xray and Mr X

Caryn Stark

TC +1

Etulftune +2

maid of woodlynne

Ser Knight Somerville (?)

Lany

fitheach +1 (Hoboken only)

MAYBE:

WarGalley

Zar Lannister (Hoboken only?)

Hey, cool... this is a better response than I expected. Those of you who don't have my number, PM your number to me and I'll try to keep you updated via text on timings and rendezvous points. (I have #'s for the X's, TC, and Etulftune.) I think we should meet around noon-ish, spend the afternoon in Branch Brook, and head to Hoboken around 5pm. That way, we could be eating by 6 and everyone can get home by 8-9. (The beer garden has some great food, btw. TC, there's stuff for us, too.)

Caryn: Anyone coming with you?

WarGalley: Let me know as soon as you find out.

Etulftune: If you can make it out to Paramus (Rt 4) on those gypsy buses that leave from GWB, I can give you a ride, but honestly, it's very easy by train.

Zar: Try to make it if you can. Where are you staying? It's not going to be too late of a night since it's Sunday and we're a bunch of old farts, so you should be able to get back at a decent hour.

Sir Knight: I assume that's a yes? (I work in Newark, too, btw. These days.)

Xray: Do you want to post this on the FB page? I'll do it on my own page, too.

I just wanted to apologize for not making it this past Friday. I came in from Scranton and was stuck at the GW Bridge for an hour and 45 mins and then had to make it to Huntington. I then took a train into the city with my cousin and 5 of her friends. Did I mention they are all 17 years old??? Anyway we got to the exhibit and they weren't letting people in any more and it was getting late and was really one of the worst trips ever. I am very sorry about that.

Archived