NYC/NJ BwB: June 15 Biergarten + Eco-cruise (See post #101)

naz

A big THANK YOU goes out to Naz for organizing such a fine afternoon and evening. :love:

And another big THANK YOU goes out to everyone who showed up -- you guys made the day that much better.

And a welcome to all the BWB-meet neophytes. I had an excellent time chatting with each of you although, as always, I wish that I'd had more time to do so. :)

Many thanks to naz for organizing the day and thanks to everyone who came out for one or both parts of the adventure. It was a fantastic time, and it was great meeting a bunch of you for the first time.

:cheers:

Here are my pics. (Please let me know if anyone wants any pics to be removed or untagged.)

It truly was a great day. The weather couldn't have been better, considering it's been rainy for the last week and looks to be rainy and cloudy again for the next few days. The Lord of Light was truly smiling upon us. :)

I showed up at Zeppelin Hall a little after 1pm; the X's were already there and holding forth in the mostly empty biergarten. We moved outdoors under the shade and waited for everyone else to arrive. People trickled in over the next hour, including Xray's reporter friend from Vulture as well as old and new BwBers. Loads of German delicacies and brews were consumed and the afternoon went by pretty quickly. By 5pm, some of us had a pretty decent buzz going, and - our bellies full of pretzels and sausages - we packed up and shoveled off to Secaucus to the launch site of the eco-cruise.

We met up with our captain - Capt. Hughie - a gregarious and charismatic tour guide to say the least. We pushed off at 6pm and the weather was perfect. The sunlight was waning, there was a nice breeze, and the marshes of the Hackensack River were clean and beautiful. This came as a surprise to me and probably anyone else who grew up in North Jersey. I also loved the juxtaposition of nature with industry and man-made works (as my photos reveal).

Capt. Hughie pointed out plenty of birds and nests, and Xray - our own resident birder - pretty much took over the avian education portion of the trip. Capt. Hughie (along with everyone else) was impressed. Ospreys, cormorants, herons, gulls, hawks, egrets... the only thing better would've been if Zollo were around. The captain also pointed out the effects of Sandy on the ecosystem of the Meadowlands and what's being done to protect the wetlands from climate events as well as human encroachments.

The sun started setting as the cruise ended around 8:30pm, and we all said our goodbyes and made our way home. It really was a great day, considering the recent bad weather. Personally, I got to see up close how much the Meadowlands have changed from just twenty years ago, when it was one of the most polluted places in the New York metro region. It really is incredible, how much groups like the Hackensack Riverkeeper have worked to bring it back from the brink of ecological disaster. I was impressed and will do this again.

It was also a nice BwB outing because of the mix of old and new members. We got to meet some great people, and as Xray says, I wish I could've spent more time with each of you, especially since some of you drove a long ways. Hopefully, you all come out here again for future meetups.

Sorry for the late response. We are moving, and it's been kind of a crazy week. I just wanted to thank everyone for a warm welcome and an overall awesome day. It was great meeting you all!

Had a great time hanging with you and the hubs! Good luck with the move, and hope to see you at another meetup soon. :)

Archived