NYC/NJ BwB: June 15 Biergarten + Eco-cruise (See post #101)

naz

Btw, I think I misread the Bloomfest sign because elsewhere it says it runs from 11-5 (not 11-3). Which means we can stay longer if you want, but I honestly think there's not that much to do there unless there's some specific Japanese cultural event you want to take part in.

The forecast is saying 60s and mostly sunny, so that's better than before.

TC: I checked HopStop too and although I don't know exactly where you live, it's showing me a range from 1hr8min to 1hr40min. The longer times are if you take the bus, which you should avoid like the plague. The shortest time is if you take NJ Transit.

For those of you coming Newark from midtown or uptown, I would highly recommend taking NJ Transit instead of the PATH. NJTransit from NY Penn to Newark Penn is a one-seat, two-stop ride (20 min). If you take the PATH from 33rd St, it's goes via Hoboken on weekends and then you have to change trains at Journal Square. NJTransit is more expensive, but worth it. You can take the PATH on the way back from Hoboken.

If you're coming from downtown or Brooklyn, then it makes more sense to take the PATH from the World Trade Center. That goes directly to Newark Penn.

Also, I noticed a sign the other day in the Newark Light Rail stations that indicated some station closings due to construction work. For Branch Brook Park on April 14, we should be fine. The other stations along the park are closed, but shouldn't affect us. It does say that departures will be running 6 minutes later than scheduled, but that shouldn't be a huge problem either.

Getting back to Hoboken: I don't know how many of you are planning on driving, but if there are enough cars, we can all drive together.

TC: I checked HopStop too and although I don't know exactly where you live, it's showing me a range from 1hr8min to 1hr40min. The longer times are if you take the bus, which you should avoid like the plague. The shortest time is if you take NJ Transit.

I would have to take the C to WTC, then Path then Light Rail. The shortest time for the entire trip was 1 hour 32 minutes.

ETA: Zar, I got your text and have added your US number as a contact. I will text you tomorrow too. :)

Naz, on the hopes of not derping out, i figure getting the NJ Light Rail ticket is pretty straight forward? (I pledge tourist)

Use the ticket machines at any station, and get the normal light rail ticket for $1.50. Don't get the "Underground" ticket (70 cents) because that's valid only for the underground portion of the ride, which is half the distance you'd need to go. Once you get the ticket, be sure to validate it at the light rail platform by sticking it in the validator where it gets time-stamped. It's then valid for one-hour. The reason why this is done is because there's no conductor on the light rail and it's usually an honor system. Many people take a chance and don't buy a ticket at all, but the summons is $80 and not worth it. Since it's a special event, it's probably more likely that there will be cops at the platform checking for valid tickets.

I would have to take the C to WTC, then Path then Light Rail. The shortest time for the entire trip was 1 hour 32 minutes.

That seems overly long to me since you have to go all the way downtown. If you get off at Penn and take NJTransit, it could save you up to 20 minutes. But it'll be $5 compared to $2.25 for the PATH, so there's that.

That seems overly long to me since you have to go all the way downtown. If you get off at Penn and take NJTransit, it could save you up to 20 minutes. But it'll be $5 compared to $2.25 for the PATH, so there's that.

The shortest time I could find going through NYC Penn was 1 hour 27 minutes and I'd rather avoid New York Penn :dunno:

None if you are as scary IRL :P

It was great meeting you! May we have many more!

Squirrel Alt I still never learned to pronounce your forum name. :P

Thanks for the fun times naz, xray, mr X, fake Relic, quoth, lany, TC, SS, companions and newly named House Wythers!

Archived