NYC/NJ BwB: June 15 Biergarten + Eco-cruise (See post #101)

naz

Isis/Jo: Tell me about it. Wish you guys were here.

Lany: Awesome! Can't wait to see you again. Getting back to Manhattan shouldn't be a problem, especially since we're heading toward Hoboken in the evening. You can take the PATH train to 33rd St from Hoboken.

Caryn: That's cool. Please PM me your #, if that's ok. I don't know how easy it'll be to coordinate via this thread when we're actually in the park, so having #'s will make things easier.

ETA: From Newark Penn Station, it's best to take the Newark Light Rail to the park itself. There are several light rail stations that stop along the park, but Bloomfest occurs in the northernmost section of the park, which is best accessed via the Branch Brook Park station.

I should be able to get to the park by 12:30ish. For others who might need the schedule:

Depart :

Newark Penn Station %7Boption%7Dhttp://www.njtransit...spacer.gif[/img]

Arrive :

Branch Brook Park %7Boption%7Dhttp://www.njtransit...spacer.gif[/img]

Total Travel

Time

11:24 AM 11:41 AM 17minutes

11:49 AM 12:06 PM 17 minutes

12:14 PM 12:31 PM 17 minutes

12:39 PM 12:56 PM 17 minutes

01:04 PM 01:21 PM 17 minutes

01:29 PM 01:46 PM 17 minutes

01:54 PM 02:11 PM 17 minutes

02:19 PM 02:36 PM 17 minutes

and the PATH from Hobroken to 33rd

7:23 7:31 7:33 7:34 7:10 7:37

I need to be there by 8:00, so this is perfect

So what's the time to be in the Park? I kind of need to know well because I have to visit someone in Newark after the meetup.

I can definitely be there for a couple of hours if the meetup is noon-ish. I just happen to be on a tight travel schedule.

Hi all,

On Tuesday one of my classes was cancelled, so I took my students on a little sketching field trip to Branch Brook Park and we walked the length of it from south to north. Some trees are blooming, but most of the park is still pretty bare. Hopefully with the warm weather, the trees will bloom by Sunday. But if they don't, we'll have to make the best of it. The weather forecast says upper 50s, so I hope it gets a bit warmer, but it is supposed to be sunny.

Bloomfest is scheduled from 11-3, so getting there around noon is a good time. At 2-3, we can visit the basilica if anyone wants, then head to Hoboken via car/train for drinks/dinner at the beer garden.

While I was in the park yesterday, I tried to scope out a good meeting place. I think the best place will be right in front of the Cherry Blossom Welcome Center (appropriately enough) which is also adjacent to the parking lot in this section of the park. Keep in mind that Bloomfest happens in the NORTH EXTENSION part of the park, which is connected by a thin sliver of landscaping to the main part of the park. Here are some notes on directions:

If you're coming by mass transit:

- Take NJ Transit or the PATH to Newark Penn Station and take the Newark Light Rail toward Grove St. Get off at Branch Brook Park Station. (The preceding 3-4 stations also get you to the park, but for the Cherry Blossom deal, you want to get off at this station.)

- Newark Light Rail has a ticket that needs to be validated before boarding. Make sure you validate it at the little stamp machine or else you could get an $80 summons for traveling without a valid ticket.

- When you get off at the station, cross the tracks to the east side and walk north along the road. Go under the white overpass, cross into the park, and look for the Cherry Blossom Welcome Center just on the other side of the parking lot. Here is a map to help you.

If you're driving:

- If you type in "Branch Brook Park" in your GPS or google maps, it will take you to the main park which is south of where you actually want to be. Instead, type in "Cherry Blossom Welcome Center, Branch Brook Park, Newark, NJ" in google maps, and that will give you the right directions.

- There's a parking lot adjacent to the Welcome Center (see map above), but I have a feeling it will be full by noon, so you may have to find parking on nearby streets.

If anything changes, I'll try to post it in this thread, but if you're having problems finding us or getting there, call me on my cell. If you don't have my cell number, PM me. I don't imagine we'll be standing in front of the Welcome Center for too long, so if you get there much later than we do, just call or text me and we'll coordinate.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on Sunday.

Derp, I can't make it to Bloomfest by noon (most likely 2pm, probably too late), but can make it for beer/dinner. What's the name of the beer garden and what time should I get there? 4 or 5?

Sorry, really wanted to see the Cherry Blossoms.

E

fitheach:

The beer garden is the Pilsener Haus in Hoboken. Here's their website. I assume we'll get there around 5 or so, but we can text you when we're getting close to leaving Newark. I'll post on here, too, if possible.

I don't think I have your cell number, but I can message you on FB. If you want to give me your cell, message me here or on FB.

fitheach:

The beer garden is the Pilsener Haus in Hoboken. Here's their website. I assume we'll get there around 5 or so, but we can text you when we're getting close to leaving Newark. I'll post on here, too, if possible.

I don't think I have your cell number, but I can message you on FB. If you want to give me your cell, message me here or on FB.

Thank you! I'll message you my number on FB.

My husband was going to take tonight off but has to cover for a colleague who's dad is in the hospital. He still assures me that we will be ok waking up early enough to be there at noon, but I have my doubts.

I will send Naz a text when we leave home so he'll have an idea.

ETA: After triple-checking Hop Stop I have come to the conclusion that is will take 1.5 to 2 hours to get there, depending on the timing of the train schedule. We'll do our best...

Archived