How would you rate episode 301?

Ran

How would you rate episode 301?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave a 6. I've been watching the first two series as a warm up and I don't think it really compared to the older episodes although I think it's just a warm up episode.

I am looking forward to when it all kicks off though.

I gave it an 8... but it's a high 8.

Sure, it wasn't action packed, but I enjoyed that. I felt like we had more time to really enjoy each storyline (and that is a nice change imo). I loved the nod to book-readers about Tyrion's nose -- and overall I just really enjoyed it *so* much more than the opener of last season.

Minor (very minor) gripes: I wish Mance was more Mance-ish, I want Selmy to have his staff, and I want Ghost with Jon. (In fact, I really want them to explore their bond more this year overall. I think viewers need that, but we'll see.) But again, these are minor and didn't detract from my enjoyment at all really.

Tyrion/Tywin: Seriously perfect.

Roose Bolton: Not much time yet, but I feel like he's going to be amazing in this role. *fingers crossed*

Dany's story: I enjoyed it, which is saying something for me.

Littlefinger: Was just 'eh' to me. But I think that's the writing. Too obvious for my taste.

Stannis/Davos: I will love these two no matter what :-)

Everything else was good but not stand-out-ish to me. Overall, I think we're off to a great start!

Also, I would have thought that we'd actually get the line Valar Dohaeris in this episode, but apparently not. I guess I should be pleased that there was an exclusive nod to book readers.

This was a solid 8, let down by the lack of Arya and the fist of First men cocktease of black leader and sound effects rather than a battle. If you can't afford a battle then just start with Sam running, don't give the viewers half a blowjob just because you can afford a SFX library.

Also, I would have thought that we'd actually get the line Valar Dohaeris in this episode, but apparently not. I guess I should be pleased that there was an exclusive nod to book readers.

It is a great title considering how well it linked all of the stories within the episode.

Decent. Maybe a 7. Very first episode but at least they cut out arts and bran.

Felt it. Was a huge mistake to order Santa story the way they did. Unsullied should have been introduced and solved in one episode. Barristan into felt like interlude and looked unrealistic

It is a great title considering how well it linked all of the stories within the episode.

It worked, but I was surprised it wasn't worked into the episode itself. The scene with the Unsullied would have been a perfect spot for it.

Opening sequence was a HUGE letdown. After the cliffhanger of S2, for them to just fade to black, have a few background noises of yelling and a sword or two clanging, then *poof*, it's all magically over? Kinda lame.

I've tried to like Emilia Clarke as Dany, but I just can't do it anymore. She's so wooden. She was adequate as mousy!Dany in S1, but as her story progresses and becomes more rich and exciting, as Dany grows into her role as a leader and potential ruler of Westeros - - I don't think Emilia has the range to cover it. She looks the part just fine, but her yawn-worthy performace takes me right out of it. I hope that changes along the course of S3.

Someone refresh my memory - - after Jon captured Ygritte and non-canonically tied her up as a prisoner last season, was there any point where he told her he wanted to join Mance's gang?

Ghost with Sam = :thumbsdown:

And I guess I should reconcile with the fact that the showrunners have an inexplicable hard-on for the Pointless Screentime Sucking Whore Ros. We'll never be rid of her. :bang:

I enjoyed the reveal of Selmy, and understand why that needed to be changed. The audience could recognize the character, and hiding him as someone else serves no overall purpose in Dany's story, so that made sense.

Tywin's spiteful rant at Tyrion was painful to watch. Kudos to both of them, that scene was awesome.

LOVED Margaery and Cersei's tension-filled dinner. Both actresses played their parts perfectly, and the tug-of-war b/t them should be a beautiful development this season!

Gave it a 6. Idk why they continue to change things that would translate well to the screen. I mean mwnce/jon interaction was lackluster at most, though tywin/tyrion was awesome. And y couldn't sam get the ravens off, what was the purpose of that change? I did like the setup with roose/karstark which makes u feel something is being built up, especially with tywins letter. But the way they mess with littlefingers character makes little to no sense. Wheres the subtleness of the character. I love the show just sometimes I smh and ask y?

Edited by thegreatwhitebear

I gave it a 9 and really liked it. It was great for a first episode, getting the stage set for things to come. And I really liked the introduction of Selmy, they got right to the point. Sometimes I think the books just take too long to get where they are going (that plane needs to land.... instead of circling and circling) and I like that Selmy came on the scene, saved Dany, said who he was and asked for forgiveness all at once. That got rid of a lot of unnecessary pages of text right there. And I liked the tension in Cersei over Margaery already instead of waiting to see it all the way down in the 5th book.

I am not sure what Robb was doing at Harrenhal....and of course I really want to see Arya....and I wish Ghost was with Jon. But somehow I think Ghost will do more to help the Nights Watch then he would have done with Jon. And maybe he will be at Castle Black when Jon gets there.

Love this show....will watch it again tonight.

Edited by WinterWarrior

7/10

I liked returning to the Game of Thrones universe, but I felt the episode missed a bit oomph - after all that's been said about how this season would blow our minds, this first episode merely sets the stage and little else

memorable scenes for me: Dany and Jorah go shopping for an army; Tywin and Tyrion talk about the family (the ones that stick closest to the books :closedeyes:, I know)

Scenes I could do without: Bronn & naked lady #1, Margaery in the orphanage - this looked somewhat forced to me, the personally-handing-out-toys and ruffling-through-poor-parentless-kids-hair kinda charity lady

Edit spelling

Edited by MysteryNinja

9/10, this episode made me happy. I had a lot of fear for it and was very much relieved. The first episode is always a challenge, but they've managed to squeeze a lot in there that had to be done that looked really great.

I don't mind them leaving out the Wight attack on the Fist (for those complaining, it was only a flashback in the books, too). I've seen enough zombie films. As with the Aliens films, 1 Alien is scarier than a whole lot of Aliens, and in the same way 1 Wight is scarier than an army of Wights. James Cosmo was impressive as the Old Bear as always. I must've missed something but I was confused by Ghost's arrival at the Night's Watch. Since it looked like Sam had only just come running back from the initial attack Jeor's question on whether he sent the ravens didn't make much sense to me though, I feel like maybe there's a catch I missed.

The Giant looked grand and realistic. Mance was excellently cast (I love that guy, he's both sympathetic and tough at the same time which is what you want in Mace), Tormund not really, he looks, sounds and appears terrible and stereotypical, acting more like Styr than book-Tormund. We finally saw the real Jon snow as he's supposed to be for a couple of seconds when he manages to convince Mance, I hope Jon carries this through and becomes the badass he's meant to be. While I liked her better initially Ygritte is now starting to irritate me in the show just as she did in the books...

For once, a nude chick (the one with Bronn) is actually sexy. The sex / nude scenes in both books and show so far have never done much for me, I always found them rather cringe-worthy and gratuitous. We're getting into Bronn's sellsword philosophy more clearly and that's interesting.

I can't for the life of me remember what Tyrion and Cersei talked about in their scene though. There were a few cheesy lines, Ser Meryn's 'loses the hand' line was pretty much copied from Craster, and kind of already used by Daeny once. Come on people, be more creative.

Ros warning Shae about Littlefinger is kinda interesting, Sansa trying to play a game with Shae is funny and reminds me of the first season with Tyrion, it's also a nice metaphor for Sansa having more hope.

Joffrey is clearly still a little shit, I hope they don't make the Tyrells too sympathetic... Everyone including the audience forgets that it's their army that was starving the city first.

Stannis looks really handsome with his beard :cool4: It was good to see Salladhor Saan again, the portrayal makes me wish he was a more recurring character.

I literally went 'OMG IT's QYBURN. *SQUEE*'. Really looking forward to seeing this guy's progression with the crowd from 'oh that poor man' to 'what'...?'

The dragons are impressive.

Tywin is an ass. While I liked the show's take on Tywin (it made him more interesting) I'm glad they finally showed what an ass he is and of course Charles Dance pulls it off brilliantly. I don't really like Tyrion (I have sympathy for him but I believe people forget his flaws too often) but I really felt for him the way Peter Dinklage played him, you could clearly see the sadness and how difficult it was for Tyrion to keep up his usual swagger.

The Unsullied look great and the slaver was excellent. I remember loving his interaction with Missandei and how she translated the foul things he spewed at Dany, it's one of my favourite parts in the books, and they did get that across slightly.

I'm also really glad to see Barristan again. He was my favourite 'second tier' character in Season 1 and one of the best-cast people looks-wise. Ian McElhinney brings this classy feel to the show, you can tell he's an actor of a past generation, but he adapts while still bringing his classy qualities to the show in a really great way.

Edited by StannisandDaeny

Gave it the good ol' nine out o' ten. I didn't expect any flashy explosions and swordfights in the first episode so I wasn't disappointed, but it did make a lot of introductions to new plotlines and it had an ending that left an impression, so I'm pretty sure the pace will be getting quicker soon. 101 remains my favorite opening episode, very closely followed by 301.

Gave it a 6. Idk why they continue to change things that would translate well to the screen. I mean mwnce/jon interaction was lackluster at most, though tywin/tyrion was awesome. And y couldn't sam get the ravens off, what was the purpose of that change? I did like the setup with roose/karstark which makes u feel something is being built up, especially with tywins letter. But the way they mess with littlefingers character makes little to no sense. Wheres the subtleness of the character. I love the show just sometimes I smh and ask y?

My thoughts on the change were to create more drama for the surviving Nights Watchmen to make it back to the wall, otherwise no one knows what is really going on.

I do think they make Littlefinger much more clearly an all around dirtball in the show. Just as they have made Tyrion WAY more sympathetic.

I gave it an 8. I thought it was a decent intro to the season. The giant looked awesome (could have been a bit harrier though). I thought it was a great move to not make Selmy disguise himself as Arstan.

Agree with those that thought it was a little slow. Disappointed we did not see the battle from the NW at the start - felt this was a let-down after where we were left at the conclusion of Season 2.

Jon's scene with Mance. I don't know, felt a little....awkward.

Liked: the look of the growing dragons, Tyrion's scene with Tywin.

But looking forward to next week.

It was too fast last season and now it is too slow? I'm telling you, asoiaf are the hardest to please.